Work Hard, Play Hard...

Old February 17th 09, 07:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

Default Work Hard, Play Hard...

So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
original)

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard2.jpg (Fast-loading
version)

Take Care,
Dudley

Old February 18th 09, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Dudley Hanks wrote:
So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
original)

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard2.jpg (Fast-loading
version)

Still could use some exposure compensation with the snow, like the
hockey pic.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old February 18th 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
news
Dudley Hanks wrote:
So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
original)

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard2.jpg
(Fast-loading version)

Still could use some exposure compensation with the snow, like the hockey
pic.

--
Paul Furman

Yeah, I keep forgetting to use EC. My A720 tended to over-expose a bit, so
I just shot normal exposure in snow and it worked out alright. The XSi's
exposure is a lot more accurate, so I find myself having to use the EC
feature more often.

Also, when I had more sight, I tended to use the center weighted option. I
could just take a reading off the subject, recompose and shoot. Once again,
never used (or should I say, seldom used) EC much.

Oh, well, after a few more shoots in snow and arenas, it'll be habitual.

Thanks, Paul, for the tip.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old February 18th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Dudley Hanks wrote:
So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
original)

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard2.jpg
(Fast-loading version)

Still could use some exposure compensation with the snow, like the hockey
pic.

Yeah, I keep forgetting to use EC. My A720 tended to over-expose a bit, so
I just shot normal exposure in snow and it worked out alright. The XSi's
exposure is a lot more accurate, so I find myself having to use the EC
feature more often.

Also, when I had more sight, I tended to use the center weighted option. I
could just take a reading off the subject, recompose and shoot. Once again,
never used (or should I say, seldom used) EC much.

Center weighted, at least you know what's going to happen. The 3D matrix
(or whatever Canon calls it) metering might even figure out you are
looking at snow - mine knows when I'm shooting at night and underexposes
to make it look like night time... which can be frustrating.

Old February 18th 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 2/17/09 1:22 AM, in article ZAtml.12096$Db2.11309@edtnps83, "Dudley
Hanks" wrote:

So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
original)

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard2.jpg (Fast-loading
version)

Take Care,
Dudley

Pretty Puppy!

What's his/her name?

Old February 19th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

Dudley Hanks wrote:
[...]

Yes, it can be frustrating. Canon's "Evaluative" mode sometimes gets the
snow thing right, sometimes it doesn't. I'm finding it useful to shoot some
pics both with and without EC. That way, I get a few that are exposed
properly.

When the light is just right, I can sort of use Live View to get the image
composed the way I want it. In those cases, I can use the spot metering
mode to get a good exposure. I tend to avoid center weighted now, since it
takes me too long to frame a shot.

It's just going to take some practice. I'm already getting more good shots
than I did a month or so ago.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old February 20th 09, 12:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

On 2009-02-16 23:22:33 -0800, "Dudley Hanks"
said:

So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
original)

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard2.jpg
(Fast-loading
version)

Take Care,
Dudley

Now that worked pretty good for a moving target, but the light was better.

Here is what "Gypsy" does in her down time
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Gypsy.jpg
--

Michener likes to sleep as well. In fact, according to his puppy-raiser, it
was his favorite activity. Here in Edmonton, we've got a kennel set up for

He spends a lot of time in there.

My daughter loved the pic; now she wants to take one of Mich like that...

Take Care,
Dudley