photo enlargement

Old August 19th 04, 01:45 PM
Paul Schmidt

Livetocruise wrote:
From: (Livetocruise)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.film+labs
Subject: photo enlargement

Hi, I am trying to get some details of a ring that belonged to my late
mom. The ring was given to my aunt and uncle as a " remembrance of my
mom" w/ the condition that once something happened to my aunt that the
ring comes back to the family. My aunt passed on and now I am trying
to get my moms wedding ring back to our family. My uncle is in frail
health and claims that he doesn't remember the ring, and my cousin is
being a jerk about the whole situaiton, saying that she wants a
picture of the wedding ring before she will release it to us.... go
figure.

I have attempted to scan the pictures using a hp office jet v40
scanner, fax, printer and used the microsoft digital image suite 9 for
the enlargement. I can get close before heavy graining distorts the
picture to a degree that won't allow for a good identification of the
ring.

If your scanning a print, then your looking at a 4th generation copy
(the scan), and with each generation the quality gets worse, if it's a
drug store print, then typically those machines have low quality to
begin with, combine that with a low resolution scan (600x1200) and much
of the picture looks like mud.

will any of the professional photo labs out there have better success
in blowing up the ring on my moms hand? Is there any special photo
equipment that I should ask about when contacting photo labs that
should allow for the sharpest picture possible.

First, find a negative, or a slide, take it to a professional digital
lab, preferably one that has a drum scanner, they will be able to scan
at 4000 to 8000DPI, which means you can enlarge quite a bit, before
running into the same problem.

Paul

Old August 19th 04, 01:45 PM
Paul Schmidt