Canon recalling their new EF 24-105 L IS lens because of bizarre lens flare

Old October 22nd 05, 07:57 AM
Dave R knows who

Default Canon recalling their new EF 24-105 L IS lens because of bizarre lens flare

Canon is recalling their brand new EF 24-105 f/4.0 L IS lens because of
bizarre lens flare issues

Samples here.

http://www.pbase.com/lensman99/image/50946586

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/296538/3

http://eos-d.axisz.jp/joyful_exif/img/325.jpg

Some unoffical info here

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15515901

Old October 22nd 05, 08:05 AM
Dave R knows who

"Dave R knows who" wrote in message
Canon is recalling their brand new EF 24-105 f/4.0 L IS lens because of
bizarre lens flare issues

Doh! I meant to send this to a friend and posted to the group... info I
gleaned... from the group.

Old October 22nd 05, 03:36 PM
bob crownfield

Dave R knows who wrote:
Canon is recalling their brand new EF 24-105 f/4.0 L IS lens because of
bizarre lens flare issues

neat effect if you could get it only when you wanted it.

Old October 24th 05, 06:29 PM
jpmcw

Henry wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 06:57:22 GMT, "Dave R knows who"
wrote:

Canon is recalling their brand new EF 24-105 f/4.0 L IS lens because of
bizarre lens flare issues

Is it a health issue then??????? or a Troll?

Check your newsreader's set up, "Henry", or propagation from your ISP.
"Dave" posted a correction/explanation a few minutes after he posted
this in error.

--
John McWilliams
Old October 24th 05, 07:09 PM
Darrell

wrote:

Canon is recalling their brand new EF 24-105 f/4.0 L IS lens because of
bizarre lens flare issues

Must be a secret recall, because they aren't telling their dealers... My
vote is TROLL

Odd how people go out of their way to find a problem that won't occur in the
real world 99% of the time.

Old October 24th 05, 11:39 PM
Skip M

"Darrell" wrote in message

wrote:

Canon is recalling their brand new EF 24-105 f/4.0 L IS lens because of
bizarre lens flare issues

Must be a secret recall, because they aren't telling their dealers... My
vote is TROLL

Odd how people go out of their way to find a problem that won't occur in
the real world 99% of the time.

Talked to my dealer about it yesterday, there's something going on, the
lenses are being withheld from the market.
But I've had examples of that same lens flare, twice in the last two weeks,
with my 24-70 f2.8L, so I have a feeling it's something else, besides or
added to, the lens flare problem.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old October 25th 05, 01:58 AM
Rich

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:39:05 -0700, "Skip M"
wrote:

"Darrell" wrote in message

wrote:

Canon is recalling their brand new EF 24-105 f/4.0 L IS lens because of
bizarre lens flare issues

Must be a secret recall, because they aren't telling their dealers... My
vote is TROLL

Odd how people go out of their way to find a problem that won't occur in
the real world 99% of the time.

Talked to my dealer about it yesterday, there's something going on, the
lenses are being withheld from the market.
But I've had examples of that same lens flare, twice in the last two weeks,
with my 24-70 f2.8L, so I have a feeling it's something else, besides or
added to, the lens flare problem.

Oh my GOD! It's the SENSORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just kidding.
-Rich
Old October 25th 05, 08:37 PM
nick c

Dave R knows who wrote:
Canon is recalling their brand new EF 24-105 f/4.0 L IS lens because of
bizarre lens flare issues

Samples here.

http://www.pbase.com/lensman99/image/50946586

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/296538/3

http://eos-d.axisz.jp/joyful_exif/img/325.jpg

Some unoffical info here

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15515901

I called Canon and was connected to the service center in West Virginia.
Once connected I had a pleasant discussion with "John" who provided me
with the following information.

Canon has issued a service bulletin for the 24-105 f4 L IS lens. The
24-105 f4 L IS lenses may be subject to significant flare from strong
light sources entering the lens at an angle of 37.5 degrees. Parts
availability necessary to correct this condition will be available at
Canon service centers from Nov.15 onward.

During the discussion, John said not all 24-105 lenses have this
abnormal flaring condition and tech service advice to callers is mount
the lens on a body and test the lens to see if the lens exhibits the
flaring anomaly. It would be easy to test the lens to see if the
abnormal flare exists. If it exists, it will be readily seen through the
view finder if a strong angular light source is used for the test.
However, if one wants to be certain their lens is not one that needs
repair, then it's best to have the Canon service center check the lens
and repair if necessary.

I mounted my 24-105 lens on my camera then on a tripod. Looking through
the view finder and using a pen (Double AA battery) flashlight, holding
the flashlight close to 2 inches (about 5 centimeters) from the lens, I
conducted my test. Having a strong light source enter my lens (wide
open) at angularities of varying degrees, at times able to see the
flashlight bulb, I saw no abnormal flaring as is shown in the examples
you posted. Shrug ... Could be I lucked out.

Old October 25th 05, 09:25 PM
Dave R knows who

"Skip M" wrote in message
"Darrell" wrote in message

wrote:

Canon is recalling their brand new EF 24-105 f/4.0 L IS lens because of
bizarre lens flare issues

Must be a secret recall, because they aren't telling their dealers... My
vote is TROLL

Odd how people go out of their way to find a problem that won't occur in
the real world 99% of the time.

Talked to my dealer about it yesterday, there's something going on, the
lenses are being withheld from the market.
But I've had examples of that same lens flare, twice in the last two
weeks, with my 24-70 f2.8L, so I have a feeling it's something else,
besides or added to, the lens flare problem.

Don't try reason and research with these guys. They rather have trolls than
truths.

I admit I should have put a question mark at the end of my sentence, because
there was nothing official from Canon posted to the public. But it was meant
to be e-mailed to my friend and not here to the group anyway. Sorry again
all around to those who got their panties in a wad because I used the term
"recall" and have bad punctuation.

Old October 25th 05, 11:28 PM
jpmcw

nick c wrote:
Dave R knows who wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry; this post is too factual, of reasonable tone, and devoid of
attacks on others or Canon to really be part of this thread.....
Glad your lens passed the test; do you suppose some element or other on
the faulty lenses didn't get coated?

Also, you spelled flare properly. I was getting used to "flair"!

--
John McWilliams