Nikon will support in D2X Lexar's new crypted CF cards.

Old September 16th 04, 11:37 PM
ThomasH

Default Nikon will support in D2X Lexar's new crypted CF cards.

I just saw news (message by Comtex) that Lexar will provide password
protected secured digital media in their lineup of Pro CompactFlash
cards. They will use 160 bit encryption technology with SHA-1 (Secure
Hash Algorithm.)

This news provide also information that Nikon is willing to jump in
and to provide support for such cards. It reads as follow:

[...
Eager to provide their customers with a way to safeguard their images,
Nikon will be the first camera company to incorporate Lexar's technology
into a digital camera. Nikon is incorporating the new security technology
into the Nikon D2X.

"The most valuable asset of our customers is the content they capture at
each and every photo-shoot," said Kazuyuki Kazami, General Manager of
Marketing, Nikon Corporation. "Incorporating Lexar's technology into our
new digital camera is an easy way for us to help professionals concentrate
on doing what they do best -- taking pictures. They needn't worry about
having exclusive images fall into unwanted hands or unwillingly allowing
others to access their images before the appropriate time," he added.
....]

Others suggested here that Nikon writes off pro business to
Canon. Well, seemingly it is not so! This plan, combined with
their recently announced “PTP/IP” wireless image transfer protocol
gives them again the headlines and maybe even professionals
coming back to them??

What do you think? Are they ready to turn the tide?

Thomas
Old September 16th 04, 11:48 PM
Peter Chant

ThomasH writes:

I just saw news (message by Comtex) that Lexar will provide password
protected secured digital media in their lineup of Pro CompactFlash
cards. They will use 160 bit encryption technology with SHA-1 (Secure
Hash Algorithm.)

This news provide also information that Nikon is willing to jump in
and to provide support for such cards. It reads as follow:

Is this an open format?

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old September 17th 04, 02:53 AM
ThomasH

Peter Chant wrote:

In article ,
ThomasH writes:

I just saw news (message by Comtex) that Lexar will provide password
protected secured digital media in their lineup of Pro CompactFlash
cards. They will use 160 bit encryption technology with SHA-1 (Secure
Hash Algorithm.)

This news provide also information that Nikon is willing to jump in
and to provide support for such cards. It reads as follow:

Is this an open format?

I am not sure. I just saw that the entire message is actually
also on Lexars web page:

http://www.lexar.com/newsroom/press/press_09_16_04.html

See for yourself! I guess they will have to open the
standard and license it somehow, just as Philips licenses
the CD format, for example.

Thomas

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk