Buying Online

Old August 21st 04, 05:23 AM
Shannon

Default Buying Online

I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
should be concerned about?
If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.

Thank you,

Shannon

Old August 21st 04, 06:15 AM
George

Why don't you check out the seller in question at www.resellerratings.com?
Some sellers
never bother to ship anything, many NYC dealers gut the package of standard
items then
will only sell if you buy them back at inflated prices...there are too many
tricks to list, but
the above-mentioned website ought to give you some idea if you wish to deal
with a given
seller.

Old August 21st 04, 09:37 AM
Jem Raid

"Shannon" wrote in message
I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
should be concerned about?
If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.

Thank you,

Shannon

I bought a Casio camera from a place in London, I asked on here if anyone
else had bought from there, they had, so I did too :-)

Jem

Old August 21st 04, 02:54 PM
Ken

Hi Shannon,

Be careful where you buy! I called several companies and asked about the
products that they were offering. The less cheaper prices usually did not
include the typical and necessary accessories. For instance, the camera did
not come with the battery and charger. They were gracious to offer the
battery and charger for an additional fee that would add up to about the
same price of other companies that included them.

CALL and ask questions! Just remember, if the price looks too good to be
true, it probably is!

Halon

Old August 21st 04, 04:54 PM
Ken Scharf

Shannon wrote:
I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
should be concerned about?
If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.

Thank you,

Shannon

Reasons why price is low:

1: Many local stores sell at full list price (MSLP or MSRP).
This price is designed to leave a LOT of profit margin for the
dealer. Mass market mail order shops can live on lower profit
margins and pass the savings to the buyer. BUT BEWARE, what
you save on price you may give away to UPS, FEDX or USPS.

2: Gray Market goods. Also called Parallel inports or twice
imported. In this case the MSRP abroad translated into US
dollars is less. The dealer is playing the currency game here.
But your warranty might not be any good. However a good dealer
will back the camera with his own warranty. Many of the
NY camera shops sell Gray Market, but provide the buyer with
their own warranty equal or better than the factory. If the
dealer is also a repair point (many are) even better.

3: Gutted packages. Dealers who sell ONLY the body and charge
extra for the included goodies. But some dealers buy the bodies
alone in bulk packs as Gray Market and include generic accessories.

4: Factory refub goods. Nothing wrong here. A factory
reconditioned camera is as good as a brand new one IF it
came from the factory! BUT, you should be told that's
what you are buying. Such goods can not be legaly sold as
new (in the US anyway. So Gray Market goods could be
refurbs if selling such as new is legal in the country
it was exported from).

5: Factory rejects, seconds. BEWARE!!!!
Old August 21st 04, 04:59 PM
Al Dykes

Always check

www.resellerratings.com

before you buy from a mail order place you're not familiar with.

Compare the results for your store to bhphoto.com or adorama.com

--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old August 21st 04, 06:33 PM
Dave

I would buy from one of the very reliable online merchants that are widely
known. In my opinion, there really aren't that many. B&H Photo Video in
NYC is one. I'm sure there are others. Know exactly what you expect to
receive and go over the list on the phone. Do whatever research is required
to get that list. Pay with MC/VISA and make sure that your issuing bank's
policy permits you to contest the charges should something "go south." I
have seen some banks' policies that make it more difficult to contest
charges when the merchant is more than 50 miles away. That was years ago,
maybe the banks are doing something different now.