Thought I'd seen most consumer camera lenses. Never saw this one

Old January 8th 20, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Thought I'd seen most consumer camera lenses. Never saw this one

On Jan 7, 2020, RichA wrote
(in ):

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63499766

That is interesting. Somewhat like finding an unknown Van Gogh at a garage sale.

If the owner should want to cash in, setting a reasonable reserve and commissioning a Japanese auction house would probably be the best way to maximize the sale price potential. There seems to be no shortage of compulsive collectors with too much spare cash.

I don’t believe that Pentax has the current budget to fund any such buy back for a museum of a dying brand.

Savageduck

Old January 8th 20, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article
.com,
says...
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63499766

That is interesting. Somewhat like finding an unknown Van Gogh at a garage sale.

What is so special about this lens?
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

Old January 8th 20, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 1:42:30 PM UTC-5, Alfred Molon wrote:
[…]
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63499766

That is interesting. Somewhat like finding an unknown
Van Gogh at a garage sale.

What is so special about this lens?

First, its an old Pentax (K mount), probably pre-Autofocus,
which means its easily 30+ years old.

Second, being a 20mm lens, it is extremely wide for its day/era.

Third, being f/1.4, its also a superior "fast" lens for its era.

Plus in reading the thread, it apparently was a prototype
design from 1976, which would mean few were ever made, which
increases its rarity even further.

Add it together, its a nice lens that's also a rare collectable.

-hh

Old January 8th 20, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 8, 2020, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In article
.com,
says...
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63499766

That is interesting. Somewhat like finding an unknown Van Gogh at a garage sale.

What is so special about this lens?

It was a 1976 prototype lens which was never brought to market. That makes it collectable even though as a ‘20mm f/1.4 lens’ it is not particularly remarkable other than as a Pentax 35mm film era ultra wide. However, for those odd folks who collect such thing, or who might be Pentax development aficionados it might have some value.

Since the current owner is in Japan he/she might be able to cash in on the crazy Japanese lens collector market, but if he is prepared to give it away, I have a 45 year old K1000 I could use it on.

Savageduck

Old January 8th 20, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

Since the current owner is in Japan he/she might be able to cash in on the
crazy Japanese lens collector market, but if he is prepared to give it away,
I have a 45 year old K1000 I could use it on.

it'll work on pentax digital slrs.
Old January 8th 20, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 8, 2020, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

Since the current owner is in Japan he/she might be able to cash in on the
crazy Japanese lens collector market, but if he is prepared to give it away,
I have a 45 year old K1000 I could use it on.

it'll work on pentax digital slrs.

True. However, I do not own a digital Pentax, and I am not about to buy one, but I do have that old, and functional K1000.

Savageduck

Old January 8th 20, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

Since the current owner is in Japan he/she might be able to cash in on the
crazy Japanese lens collector market, but if he is prepared to give it
away,
I have a 45 year old K1000 I could use it on.

it'll work on pentax digital slrs.

True. However, I do not own a digital Pentax, and I am not about to buy one,
but I do have that old, and functional K1000.

just think of what you could do with a nice new lens on that aging and
neglected k1000...

it will even please the film luddites.