D3 and Filters

Old April 17th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike -- Email Ignored

Default D3 and Filters

Now that I have a D3, which has all sorts of
color corrections in its electronics, do I
still have a use for the myriad colored
filters I have collected?

Thanks,
Mike.
Old April 17th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article upHNj.9322$XF3.7656@trnddc04, Mike -- Email Ignored
wrote:

Now that I have a D3, which has all sorts of
color corrections in its electronics, do I
still have a use for the myriad colored
filters I have collected?

in general, the only filters you need are a circular polarizer and
neutral density filter. coloured filter effects can be done much more
effectively in photoshop.

colour correction filters for tungsten light can theoretically reduce
noise by matching the light to the sensor's native white point, but
it's minor and the d3 does quite well in low light anyway.
Old April 18th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Father Kodak

wrote:

Now that I have a D3, which has all sorts of
color corrections in its electronics, do I
still have a use for the myriad colored
filters I have collected?

in general, the only filters you need are a circular polarizer and
neutral density filter. coloured filter effects can be done much more
effectively in photoshop.

And what about graduated neutral density filters, to correct
over-contrast in landscapes, for example?

Father Kodak
Old April 18th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Father Kodak
wrote:

in general, the only filters you need are a circular polarizer and
neutral density filter. coloured filter effects can be done much more
effectively in photoshop.

And what about graduated neutral density filters, to correct
over-contrast in landscapes, for example?

that would fall under the neutral density filter category

however, taking a few photos and combining them into an hdr is an
option.
Old April 18th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

nospam wrote:
In article , Father Kodak
wrote:

in general, the only filters you need are a circular polarizer and
neutral density filter. coloured filter effects can be done much more
effectively in photoshop.

And what about graduated neutral density filters, to correct
over-contrast in landscapes, for example?

that would fall under the neutral density filter category

however, taking a few photos and combining them into an hdr is an
option.

For practical purposes, even grad NDs are less useful these days - given
the possibility to push exposure from one properly exposed (to save
highlights) low iso raw file.
You don't need HDR, just gradient blends using masks, or much simpler
and better, just by using Capture NX properly.
I still carry grad nds with me, but seldom use them.
Old April 17th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
Now that I have a D3, which has all sorts of
color corrections in its electronics, do I
still have a use for the myriad colored
filters I have collected?

Use the workflow you are more comfortable with. I'm only
just starting to use WB on camera rather than using filters.
I'm familiar with using colour correction filters so for
months I have left the camera on daylight and used
correction filters. (NB - make sure the camera is set to
daylight, or it will try to adjust out the effect of the
filter).

I find that the use of correction filters gives me more
predictable colour balance than using the various WB
settings on camera. Of course the camera WB is faster.

BTW - if you are planning on doing B&W, then I'd suggest
still using your B&W contrast filters. Photoshop can emulate
them but the result just isn't the same.

I haven't done tests, but in theory using colour correction
filters should give you greater dynamic range in your
highlights and shadows when you are at extremes (such as
tungsten lighting).

Thanks,
Mike.

Old April 17th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article
, Doug
Jewell wrote:

BTW - if you are planning on doing B&W, then I'd suggest
still using your B&W contrast filters. Photoshop can emulate
them but the result just isn't the same.

that's a bad idea. due to the bayer pattern, using a colour filter
will adversely affect the resolution of the sensor.

plus, photoshop can duplicate what the filter would have done and a
whole lot more, including selectively applying various filters to
different parts of the image.
Old April 20th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 06:33:14 -0700, nospam wrote:
: In article
: , Doug
: Jewell wrote:
:
: BTW - if you are planning on doing B&W, then I'd suggest
: still using your B&W contrast filters. Photoshop can emulate
: them but the result just isn't the same.
:
: that's a bad idea. due to the bayer pattern, using a colour filter
: will adversely affect the resolution of the sensor.
:
: plus, photoshop can duplicate what the filter would have done and a
: whole lot more, including selectively applying various filters to
: different parts of the image.

And all the B&W filters except yellow are dark enough to cost you a stop or
two, which could adversely affect autofocus.

Bob

Old April 17th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"Mike -- Email Ignored" wrote in message
Now that I have a D3, which has all sorts of
color corrections in its electronics, do I
still have a use for the myriad colored
filters I have collected?

Thanks,
Mike.

No. Throw them away except the polarizer.

WTB/WTT Filters Dieter Zakas General Equipment For Sale 2 June 24th 05 06:33 PM
Filters Sameer Agarwal Other Photographic Equipment 4 March 27th 05 07:57 AM
UV filters LtX4 Digital Photography 0 January 12th 05 08:43 AM
Filters jjs Large Format Photography Equipment 1 October 8th 04 01:38 PM
Filters Dallas 35mm Photo Equipment 2 August 3rd 04 03:26 AM