[SI] suggestion/request

Old September 23rd 10, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_42_]

Default [SI] suggestion/request

Not that there's any formal rules as such, but what do all of the
regulars think about a suggestion that if you submit to the SI,
you should also comment on all of the photos in that SI. And
that means comment in some constructive way on all, not just a
select few.

This is something I've always endeavoured to do (when I submit)
and I've always thought that it was what the SI was all about.
Submit photos, critique each other, take it on board, improve,
have fun.

Thoughts? It'd be great if you all agree with me. That makes me
happy, coz you'd be right too and I like it when others are right
too.

--
Troy Piggins
Old September 24th 10, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

Troy Piggins wrote:
Not that there's any formal rules as such, but what do all of the
regulars think about a suggestion that if you submit to the SI,
you should also comment on all of the photos in that SI. And
that means comment in some constructive way on all, not just a
select few.

This is something I've always endeavoured to do (when I submit)
and I've always thought that it was what the SI was all about.
Submit photos, critique each other, take it on board, improve,
have fun.

Thoughts? It'd be great if you all agree with me. That makes me
happy, coz you'd be right too and I like it when others are right
too.

The more "suggestions" about behavior you have, the more potential you
have for contentious feelings, if not statements, and the less likely
conformance will be forthcoming.

--
Frank ess

Old September 24th 10, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-09-23 15:56:35 -0700, Troy Piggins said:

Not that there's any formal rules as such, but what do all of the
regulars think about a suggestion that if you submit to the SI,
you should also comment on all of the photos in that SI. And
that means comment in some constructive way on all, not just a
select few.

This is something I've always endeavoured to do (when I submit)
and I've always thought that it was what the SI was all about.
Submit photos, critique each other, take it on board, improve,
have fun.

Thoughts? It'd be great if you all agree with me. That makes me
happy, coz you'd be right too and I like it when others are right
too.

Interesting Idea. However sometimes it is tough to make those comments,
positive, or negative, and not all consider themselves critics, or
commentators. So I don't think it is good to make comments from all
entrants mandatory. I think that will lead to the complete demise of
the SI within a few months.

That said, I will go through the current submissions and post my remarks.
.... and I also think that those comments and remarks should be limited
to being posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm. I see that is a step you
have already taken.

I have proposed this before and Bowser felt at that time we should cast
our net for SI contributors far and wide. I have e-mailed Bowser about
this, as all we have gained is an unwelcome voice. He who lives in
r.p.d., and only gets here due to X-posts. The X-Posting has brought us
no new contributors.
We might have better response from posting SI news in alt.photography,
as I think the risk of hearing from "He who's name is unmentioned" is
less from that quarter.

In the future all my SI responses will only be directed to r.p.e.35mm
and I will break X-posts when responding. All this in an effort to
repair the SNR.

Savageduck

Old September 24th 10, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:11:51 -0700, Savageduck

On 2010-09-23 15:56:35 -0700, Troy Piggins said:

[...]

I encourage responses from all...contributors or non-contributors of
images to the SI. No way, though, do I feel that responses should be
mandatory for submitters. The easiest way to get me not to do
something is to be told that I have to.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 24th 10, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_42_]

* tony cooper wrote :
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:11:51 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

[---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 16 lines snipped |=---]

Interesting Idea. However sometimes it is tough to make those comments,
positive, or negative, and not all consider themselves critics, or
commentators. So I don't think it is good to make comments from all
entrants mandatory.

I encourage responses from all...contributors or non-contributors of
images to the SI. No way, though, do I feel that responses should be
mandatory for submitters. The easiest way to get me not to do
something is to be told that I have to.

Not so much mandatory. That's why I was careful to use words
like "suggestion". There are no rules. It's not Fight Club.
More like "comments are encouraged". Think of it like that.
Don't you think it's fair that if you like and encourage comments
on your images, you could have something constructive to say
about others'? We're all peers here. It's not "the man" telling
you what to do.

I can see where this is going...

--
Troy Piggins
Old September 24th 10, 05:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

wrote:

[...]

When you read the rest of the threads on this subject you'll see I was
the one who brought up the lack of comments on the SI submissions.
I'd like to see more participation from both submitters and
non-submitters in this area. I don't want it to be a requirement,
though.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 24th 10, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

Default suggestion/request

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:56:15 -0700 (PDT), Noons
wrote:

On Sep 24, 12:11*pm, Savageduck
wrote:

... and I also think that those comments and remarks should be limited
to being posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm. I see that is a step you

Amazing. Finally, someone clearly and openly admits pbase is using a
Usenet newsgroup as a private club posting area. Which was pointed
out years ago and always denied.

Denied as it should be. There is nothing private about the Shoot-In.
Anyone can submit images. Anyone can comment on what has been
submitted.

It doesn't make any difference where the photos are hosted.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 24th 10, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-09-23 19:56:15 -0700, Noons said:

On Sep 24, 12:11*pm, Savageduck
wrote:

... and I also think that those comments and remarks should be limited
to being posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm. I see that is a step you

Amazing. Finally, someone clearly and openly admits pbase is using a
Usenet newsgroup as a private club posting area. Which was pointed
out years ago and always denied.

Nobody has admitted anything. That is your perception only.

For whatever reasons, you expanded your personal war with Bret to the
SI. You have had a beef with the SI ever since Bret was involved in
making some decisions regarding a hosting site. It just seemed like an
escalation of the D-Mac-Bret wars which had no place in the
organization of the SI.

Who cares where it is hosted. I certainly don't. The SI is open to all
who care to submit an image file. There is no cost for making this
submission, and there is no exclusivity, it is open to all who care to
enter.

I told you this would happen, but you dickheads didn't listen...

Maybe you did, but I guess most were not receptive to your belligerent style.

Savageduck

Old September 24th 10, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

: wrote:
:
: ... and I also think that those comments and remarks should be limited
: to being posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm. I see that is a step you
:
: Amazing. Finally, someone clearly and openly admits pbase is using a
: Usenet newsgroup as a private club posting area. Which was pointed
: out years ago and always denied.
:
: this, as all we have gained is an unwelcome voice. He who lives in
: r.p.d., and only gets here due to X-posts. The X-Posting has brought us
: no new contributors.
:
: Blind Freddy could have explained why, but you morons never listened.
: The moronic X-posting from you pbase idiots is what KILLED this
: newsgroup and a few others.

That's a pile of crap. What killed this newsgroup was the virtual
disappearance of film photography. If it weren't for the Shoot-In and some
mindless cross-posting from various digital groups, it would be just you and a
handful of other diehards wringing your hands over how long you can store
frozen Panatomic-X.

: We might have better response from posting SI news in alt.photography,
: as I think the risk of hearing from "He who's name is unmentioned" is
: less from that quarter.
:
: Really? And who would that be? Dougie? Bret-the-idiot? Anyone who
: doesn't agree with the totality of what you blurt?
:
: In the future all my SI responses will only be directed to r.p.e.35mm
: and I will break X-posts when responding. All this in an effort to
: repair the SNR.
:
: It's not repairable. Any non-noise producers have left ages ago, fed-
: up with your antiques and trolling. Enjoy your own crap from now on,
: pbase dickheads.
:
: I told you this would happen, but you dickheads didn't listen...

Are you auditioning to take over The Troll's job, once he finally gets
shuffled off to the nuthatch? Actually, who gives a ****? You've made it
abundantly clear that you have nothing useful to say to us and can't be
bothered to maintain even a veneer of civility. Don't let the door hit you on
your way out.

Bob (and, I suspect, most of the rest of us)
Old September 25th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

On 9/24/10 PDT 12:32 PM, Robert Coe wrote:

Are you auditioning to take over The Troll's job, once he finally gets
shuffled off to the nuthatch? Actually, who gives a ****? You've made it
abundantly clear that you have nothing useful to say to us and can't be
bothered to maintain even a veneer of civility. Don't let the door hit you on
your way out.

Noonsie needs to rest up between sniper and crybaby visits to the photo
groups, so he's not qualified to be a full-on pest here........

BTW, get stuffed, n.

--
lsmft