What BULB do you guys use for taking pictures of automotive DIYs?

Old August 2nd 10, 10:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital
Brent[_2_]

Default What BULB do you guys use for taking pictures of automotive DIYs?

In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
conditions (like many people do).

Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
the camera flash.

It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change the
directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.

Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot, they
break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.

Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular" 200W
bulbs from ACE?
Old August 2nd 10, 10:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital
RBM[_2_]

"Brent" wrote in message
In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
conditions (like many people do).

Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
the camera flash.

It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change the
directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.

Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot,
they
break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.

Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular"
200W
bulbs from ACE?

If you want standard incandescent, you want a "rough service" lamp. They
have a more durable filament and can withstand shock and vibration. Don't
get a drip of water on one when it's hot though, it'll explode. Here is a
link:
http://www.superiorlighting.com/Prod...googleproducts

Old August 2nd 10, 10:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital
Jeff The Drunk

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 21:24:49 +0000, Brent wrote:

In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
conditions (like many people do).

Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
the camera flash.

It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change
the directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.

Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot,
they break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.

Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular"
200W bulbs from ACE?

Have a look here

:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Backlight.html
Old August 2nd 10, 11:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital
notbob

On 2010-08-02, Brent wrote:

It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light.

Works for me. I used three lights (150W incandescent) with same
cheapo alum reflectors ($7 ea) for illuminating items for sale. No
problems except for very shiny round black items like rifle scopes.
Took a lot of angles and moving of lights. Otherwise, no problems
with exposure.

Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot, they
break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.

Ya gotta be smarter than the tool.

nb
Old August 3rd 10, 01:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital
Stormin Mormon[_2_]

I don't use one, but it might fit the bill for you.
http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...ght-66433.html
On sale, ten bucks. Somewhat rugged.

The LED one with 45 LED or something. Much less satisfying. Throws a
spot on the far wall, and doesn't light up the area.

Usually when I take pics, the camera flash does a good job.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Brent" wrote in
message ...

Old August 3rd 10, 02:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital
WW[_3_]

"Brent" wrote in message
In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
conditions (like many people do).

Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
the camera flash.

It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change the
directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.

Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot,
they
break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.

Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular"
200W
bulbs from ACE?

I have some "PhotoFlood" lamps I used with old film movie cameras. They have
their own reflector. WW

Old August 3rd 10, 08:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital
Brent[_2_]

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 22:21:34 GMT, notbob wrote:

I used three lights (150W incandescent) with same
cheapo alum reflectors ($7 ea) for illuminating items for sale. No
problems except for very shiny round black items like rifle scopes.
Took a lot of angles and moving of lights.

Exactly! Each shot, I hold the light or clamp it to something and a lot of
stuff on a car is dark black so it takes a LOT of light to get the contrast
I need.

Where do you get your bulbs?

Do they break on you a lot?
Old August 3rd 10, 08:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital
Brent[_2_]

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:18:05 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Usually when I take pics, the camera flash does a good job.

In the intracacies of the engine, the camera flash can't throw the light we
need into all the spaces we need for a good shot.

That's why it has to be hand held and clampable .

The incandescents in the aluminum reflector work fine; they just break a
lot.
Old August 3rd 10, 08:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital
Brent[_2_]

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 19:54:53 -0600, WW wrote:

I have some "PhotoFlood" lamps I used with old film movie cameras. They have
their own reflector. WW

Are they rugged?