[SI] The Pinhole II gallery is up!

Old July 20th 10, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default [SI] The Pinhole II gallery is up!

Available for viewing, and located he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pinhole_ii

For more information and future mandates, please look he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Reminder:

We still have two "live" mandates, Rogues Gallery and Sounds of the
Season. Please visit the rulz page for additional info and submittal
dates for each of those mandates.
Old July 20th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:16:06 -0400, Bowser wrote:

Available for viewing, and located he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pinhole_ii

For more information and future mandates, please look he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

A word of explanation about mine...I used a city map and my pin would
have put me in the middle of a lake. Odds are about 50/50 it would in
this area. I picked the nearest shore and took the photographs
outside the Maitland Art Gallery.

Two of the photos were manipulated with Photoshop. The "Lady in the
Garden" is a small statuette, and - in Curves - I set a Black Point in
an area that was bluish-white. That resulted in a rather strange
change in the green leaves, but one I like. And, a little painting to
make the background solid black.

The "Water Fireworks" are some kind of water lily floating in a pond
of brown water. Ugly water. I used "Replace Color" to turn the brown
water black for contrast. I did a little editing on some blown-out
parts where the midday sun reflected off the wet plant.

I would have like to modified the Stone Cat to make the shadows more
intensely black, but didn't get around to it.

No one's said anything about Photoshop manipulation being outside of
the rules, but I like to make full disclosure.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 20th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

"Bowser" wrote in message
Available for viewing, and located he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pinhole_ii

For more information and future mandates, please look he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Reminder:

We still have two "live" mandates, Rogues Gallery and Sounds of the
Season. Please visit the rulz page for additional info and submittal
dates for each of those mandates.

Just some background comments on my own shots.

the infrared shot was taken with my old P&S that I converted to infrared.
The EXIF file information is wacked up time of shot and exposure
program. (It was shot around 9:AM in aperture preferred mode. It must have a
very small sensor because the shot as made at widest aperture (8.9mm) which
appears to be the equivalent of a 24mm full frame. As you can tell there was
a heavy fog. I could not see the lighthouse itself. Rather than do more
infrared shots and because the first pin wound up perilously close to a nude
beach, where shooting is frowned upon, I restuck the pin which wound up in
the middle of Long Island Sound. I went on a boat tour of the Sound and the
images I posted were closest to the pin location. Most of the scenes were
boring routine types so I decided to try some multiple exposures of the
boats. Then I saw the cormorants and just watched until something happened.
My shots are up for your comments, good or bad.

--
Peter

Old July 20th 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:16:06 -0400, Bowser wrote:

Available for viewing, and located he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pinhole_ii

For more information and future mandates, please look he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

A word of explanation about mine...I used a city map and my pin would
have put me in the middle of a lake. Odds are about 50/50 it would in
this area. I picked the nearest shore and took the photographs
outside the Maitland Art Gallery.

Two of the photos were manipulated with Photoshop. The "Lady in the
Garden" is a small statuette, and - in Curves - I set a Black Point in
an area that was bluish-white. That resulted in a rather strange
change in the green leaves, but one I like. And, a little painting to
make the background solid black.

The lady is a good contrast between the natural leaves and the man made
statue. I would like to see a little less negative space on the right.

The "Water Fireworks" are some kind of water lily floating in a pond
of brown water. Ugly water. I used "Replace Color" to turn the brown
water black for contrast. I did a little editing on some blown-out
parts where the midday sun reflected off the wet plant.

Overall, good seeing. It would have benefitted from further toning down the
specular highlights and a tad higher saturation and contrast.

I would have like to modified the Stone Cat to make the shadows more
intensely black, but didn't get around to it.

The cat is an interesting interplay of shadows. I would have cropped it
closer to the bottom of the window. Too many wasted pixels below that level.

No one's said anything about Photoshop manipulation being outside of
the rules, but I like to make full disclosure.

I think it is well within the rules. Unless I am doing representational
photography, I think any manipulation that improves the image (in the eye of
the maker,) is OK. But, we've had a similar conversation before.

My comments on some other shots:

I like the back lighting in Grapes. The shot reminds me that summer is
coming to an end. Can't wait to taste some new wine.

Robert Coe 1
Well exposed. The shadows just don't do it for me.

Coe 3 Nice pictorial of the hospital. For me, the shot is the boat. Too bad
you couldn't get in a little closer. Your shot would benefit if the corners
and edges were darker. (Yes I know I sometimes overdo it.)

Martha Coe 2
Good clean shot. Would benefit from being on a slightly stronger angle and a
tad more color saturation.

Duck 01

You should title it: "The Invitation."
Would have benefited from some kid ignoring the signs

PH01

Nice shot of the pigeons. Would be stronger by cropping out the sky and
toning down the hot spots on the water.

PH02

Well exposed and tells a story.

PH03
Nice interplay of lines. I would like the bridge going off at an angle to
the right.

TimConway

Good landscape shot. You show nice perspective by keeping both the
foreground and background sharp. To add a little punch if you have PhotoShop
you might want to try the technique here, to remove the haze:

http://www.jakeludington.com/photogr...al_photos.html

--
Peter

Old July 20th 10, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:04:11 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

In both cases, the crop was set to include something. In the "Lady",
to include the full leaf at the bottom right, and in the "Cat" the
full palmetto frond. When I framed the shot, the shadows of the
fronds were distinct and I thought they offset the fronds themselves.
The shadows kind of wimped out on me in the photo. I debated on the
white spots in the water plant. I could have cloned them out, but it
was a matter of clone out all or not clone. A few look like an error.

Old July 20th 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

"tony cooper" wrote in message

In both cases, the crop was set to include something. In the "Lady",
to include the full leaf at the bottom right, and in the "Cat" the
full palmetto frond. When I framed the shot, the shadows of the
fronds were distinct and I thought they offset the fronds themselves.
The shadows kind of wimped out on me in the photo. I debated on the
white spots in the water plant. I could have cloned them out, but it
was a matter of clone out all or not clone. A few look like an error.

To clone or not to clone. That is the question. Whether it is nobler in the
minds of artists to correct nature's work or suffer the slings and arrows of
carping critics.

--
Peter
Sorry Willie.

Old July 20th 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:47:42 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
.. .

In both cases, the crop was set to include something. In the "Lady",
to include the full leaf at the bottom right, and in the "Cat" the
full palmetto frond. When I framed the shot, the shadows of the
fronds were distinct and I thought they offset the fronds themselves.
The shadows kind of wimped out on me in the photo. I debated on the
white spots in the water plant. I could have cloned them out, but it
was a matter of clone out all or not clone. A few look like an error.

To clone or not to clone. That is the question. Whether it is nobler in the
minds of artists to correct nature's work or suffer the slings and arrows of
carping critics.

Lady Macbeth: Out, damned spot! out, I say!

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Old July 21st 10, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:30:45 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:
: On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:47:42 -0400, "Peter"
: wrote:
:
: "tony cooper" wrote in message
: .. .
:
: In both cases, the crop was set to include something. In the "Lady",
: to include the full leaf at the bottom right, and in the "Cat" the
: full palmetto frond. When I framed the shot, the shadows of the
: fronds were distinct and I thought they offset the fronds themselves.
: The shadows kind of wimped out on me in the photo. I debated on the
: white spots in the water plant. I could have cloned them out, but it
: was a matter of clone out all or not clone. A few look like an error.
:
:
: To clone or not to clone. That is the question. Whether it is nobler in the
: minds of artists to correct nature's work or suffer the slings and arrows of
: carping critics.
:
:
: Lady Macbeth: Out, damned spot! out, I say!

"Lay on, Macduff,
And damned be he who first cries 'Hold! Enough!'"

Bob
Old July 21st 10, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tim Conway[_2_]

"Peter" wrote in message
"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:16:06 -0400, Bowser wrote:

Available for viewing, and located he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pinhole_ii

For more information and future mandates, please look he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

TimConway

Good landscape shot. You show nice perspective by keeping both the
foreground and background sharp. To add a little punch if you have
PhotoShop you might want to try the technique here, to remove the haze:

http://www.jakeludington.com/photogr...al_photos.html

Thanks. I've tried that and it really does make quite an improvement.