Lens profiling tool from Adobe ( for CS5 / LR / ACR ).

Old May 11th 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Lens profiling tool from Adobe ( for CS5 / LR / ACR ).

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/l...r/?PID=3154956

Presumably one can make a profile of their lenses that Adobe doesn't
provide directly. Profile data collected allow correction for geometric
distortion, lateral chromatic aberration and vignetting.

Alternately, wait a while for other enthusiasts to make the profiles,
then use those.

The number of test images can get large when a zoom is profiled. (At
one site someone estimated it as:

1) Shoot (6 focal length positions) × (3 focus distance positions) × (4
aperture positions) = 72 image sets

2) They also recommend 9 images per set so that's 648 photos to create a
profile for one lens! Ouch!!

I didn't go looking to validate the above, but it certainly looks like a
labour of love...

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.

Old May 11th 10, 01:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David J. Littleboy

"Alan Browne" wrote:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/l...r/?PID=3154956

2) They also recommend 9 images per set so that's 648 photos to create a
profile for one lens! Ouch!!

I didn't go looking to validate the above, but it certainly looks like a
labour of love...

Once you are set up to do the three distance positions, though, it should be
fairly straightforward to crank through all the tests.

And once you have the tests done for the lenses you are using, you'll be
able to apply these things automatically.

Still, I'm glad I've switched to primes: it'll make this much easier.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old May 11th 10, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David J. Littleboy

"Savageduck" wrote:

I got my CS5 upgrade on Friday, and I have been playing with some of the
new features.

The new HDR feature is a great improvement, and it is possible to get some
very natural HD images.

Cool. I have CS3, and by then the auto stitching was better than any of the
other programs I had tried. Of course, this is exactly the sort of thing M$
gets infinite grief for: killing third party providers by redefining what
used to be thought of as apps as basic functionality.

The content aware fill & healing, works well if you are very selective of
the area to be filled or cropped. Not quite the miracle tool it is touted
to be.

No surprise thereg.

One caveat, none of my third party plug-ins will work, regardless of
claims by those vendors. I am dealing with that with those vendors.

Ouch! But thanks for the review. Between Lightroom, CS5, and Visual Studio
2010, this year is going to be expensive.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old May 11th 10, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter[_7_]

On 2010-05-10 16:05:38 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

[...]

For Nikon DSLRs the choice is for 2 sensor sizes, listed as D3 & D90. So
matching my D300s to the D90 I get a list of Nikkor lens profiles, if the
lens has not been positively IDed. So far it has IDed all of my Nikkors,
but my Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 is currently in the wilderness. I can get a
close match by selecting one of the listed Nikkor profiles, and then
tweeking with the custom adjustment in "lens correction".

The new HDR feature is a great improvement, and it is possible to get some
very natural HD images.

The content aware fill & healing, works well if you are very selective of
the area to be filled or cropped. Not quite the miracle tool it is touted
to be. I might need a little more practice.

The selection tools are a great improvement.

So we shall see how things work out.

One caveat, none of my third party plug-ins will work, regardless of
claims by those vendors. I am dealing with that with those vendors.

I am installing it tomorrow morning for use on a 64bit windows machine. IIRC
you have a Mac. It will be interesting to compare notes. Hopefully I will
stay away from the political discussions here.

--
Peter

Old May 11th 10, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2010-05-10 16:05:38 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

[...]

I look forward to that.

The content aware fill & healing, works well if you are very selective
of the area to be filled or cropped. Not quite the miracle tool it is
touted to be. I might need a little more practice.

The selection tools are a great improvement.

So we shall see how things work out.

One caveat, none of my third party plug-ins will work, regardless of
claims by those vendors. I am dealing with that with those vendors.

I still haven't DL'd CS5, no rush I guess.

Could you tell me if there are any Minolta Sony lenses in there?

Minolta 80-200 f/2.8 G
28-70 f/2.8 G
135 f/1.8 Carl Zeiss (Sony)
20mm f/2.8
100 f/2.8 macro

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.

Old May 11th 10, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 10-05-10 20:16 , David J. Littleboy wrote:
"Alan wrote:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/l...r/?PID=3154956

2) They also recommend 9 images per set so that's 648 photos to create a
profile for one lens! Ouch!!

I didn't go looking to validate the above, but it certainly looks like a
labour of love...

Once you are set up to do the three distance positions, though, it should be
fairly straightforward to crank through all the tests.

And once you have the tests done for the lenses you are using, you'll be
able to apply these things automatically.

Still, I'm glad I've switched to primes: it'll make this much easier.

I only have two zooms ... other 4 are FFL. Then there are the 'blad
lenses, but I'm really not sure I want to shoot all these on film and
digitize them ... even if it's possible to do so! Can do them on the
a900 also, but that's a circle crop for the lenses and there's no data
link from the lens to whatever this s/w does...

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old May 11th 10, 02:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter[_7_]

On 2010-05-10 16:05:38 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

[...]

The upgrade was a seamless installation on my MacBook Pro. I perceive a
speed increase - but that might be in my head.

As to the rest, my exploration continues. I am a little disappointed with
the lack of third party plug-in compatibility/transferability I have
experienced, but I will get over it.

I have not really used plugins. I have played with Corel Painter for special
effects.

The CS5 version of ACR is quite different in the way it goes about things
and seems to be a great improvement over the old 2003 process.

CS5 Bridge also seems improved over the CS4 version.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Is it tomorrow yet?

--
Peter

Old May 11th 10, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

"Alan wrote:

[...]

Custom lens data in the camera helps but manual lenses won't relay the
focus distance in the exif... I'm not sure any lens give that info in
the exif, supposedly only used for flash calculations?

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old May 11th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

"Alan wrote:

[...]

The aperture and the zoom length figure in the corrections - not sure to
what degree the focus distance is important.

My ADI lenses do that (100 f/2.8 macro and 135 f/1.8) but my zooms are
"older" gen and do not.

I think more Nikon lenses give focus distance.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old May 12th 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
nospam

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

Profiling lenses is doing things backwards.

actually it isn't backwards at all.

The computing power should be spent on making better lenses, not trying to
remove lens defects after the fact.

it's both.

Why have millions of PCs trying to undo
lens defects when a single computer could simply design a better lens instead?

because nothing is perfect. fixing some of the lens problems in
post-processing lets the designers concentrate on the more serious
aberrations that need to be dealt with in the lens itself.