Sunday at Laguna Seca

Old August 17th 10, 09:07 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Sunday at Laguna Seca

An HTML gallery of some shots from Sunday at Laguna Seca, Motorsports Reunion.

If you are in anyway "green" this might not be for you. ;-)

http://homepage.mac.com/co/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Savageduck

Old August 17th 10, 09:09 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-08-17 13:07:34 -0700, Savageduck said:

An HTML gallery of some shots from Sunday at Laguna Seca, Motorsports Reunion.

If you are in anyway "green" this might not be for you. ;-)

http://homepage.mac.com/co/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Sorry about that :-(

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Savageduck

Old August 17th 10, 09:12 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Spanjaard

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:09:33 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

An HTML gallery of some shots from Sunday at Laguna Seca, Motorsports
Reunion.

If you are in anyway "green" this might not be for you. ;-)

http://homepage.mac.com/co/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Sorry about that :-(

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

I'm green with envy, so I won't click it anyway. :-)

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
Old August 17th 10, 09:22 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

On 2010-08-17 13:07:34 -0700, Savageduck
said:
An HTML gallery of some shots from Sunday at Laguna Seca,
Motorsports Reunion. If you are in anyway "green" this might not be
for you. ;-)

http://homepage.mac.com/co/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Sorry about that :-(

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Cool. Thanks for the opportunity.

Do you think anyone would object if I put Fearless John tribute
stripes on my Mustangs, or understand?

--
Frank ess

Old August 17th 10, 09:36 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-08-17 13:07:34 -0700, Savageduck
said:
An HTML gallery of some shots from Sunday at Laguna Seca,
Motorsports Reunion. If you are in anyway "green" this might not be for
you. ;-)

http://homepage.mac.com/co/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Sorry about that :-(

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Cool. Thanks for the opportunity.

Do you think anyone would object if I put Fearless John tribute stripes
on my Mustangs, or understand?

I see no problem with that, other than it is normal to reserve tributes
for the dead, or near dead.

....and on a Mustang?

Savageduck

Old August 17th 10, 09:57 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ofnuts

On 2010-08-17 13:07:34 -0700, Savageduck
said:

An HTML gallery of some shots from Sunday at Laguna Seca, Motorsports
Reunion.

If you are in anyway "green" this might not be for you. ;-)

http://homepage.mac.com/co/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Sorry about that :-(

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Nice shots and some really cool ones: 8334130174, 3060023447

Those on the track are definitely cleaner than what I would get, but
look a bit static (no background or wheel blur). And they often beg for
more space in front of the car IMHO.

6-wheel Tyrell. Hmmm.

--
Bertrand
Old August 17th 10, 10:31 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

On 2010-08-17 13:07:34 -0700, Savageduck
said:
An HTML gallery of some shots from Sunday at Laguna Seca,
Motorsports Reunion. If you are in anyway "green" this might not
be for you. ;-)

http://homepage.mac.com/co/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Sorry about that :-(

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Cool. Thanks for the opportunity.

Do you think anyone would object if I put Fearless John tribute
stripes on my Mustangs, or understand?

I see no problem with that, other than it is normal to reserve
tributes for the dead, or near dead.

...and on a Mustang?

Someone should tell Parnelli and Saleen.

You do the best you can with what you got, no?

--
Frank ess
Old August 17th 10, 11:01 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

On 2010-08-17 13:07:34 -0700, Savageduck
said:

An HTML gallery of some shots from Sunday at Laguna Seca, Motorsports
Reunion.

If you are in anyway "green" this might not be for you. ;-)

http://homepage.mac.com/co/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Sorry about that :-(

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Savageduck

I love to see street legal vehicle, displacement limited road races....This
is how more efficient, cheap cars have been developed over the years.....It
would be a shame to discontinue the practice.

Old August 17th 10, 11:43 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-08-17 13:07:34 -0700, Savageduck said:

An HTML gallery of some shots from Sunday at Laguna Seca, Motorsports Reunion.

If you are in anyway "green" this might not be for you. ;-)

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/LagunaSwH/index.html

Wow. Some evocative shots there.

My favourite:
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/La...447_large.html

This would have been my favourite except there isn't quite enough
depth of field, Even so, it comes close:
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/La...174_large.html

In both cases, what makes the shot is the thoughtful and well-chosen
composition. Very impressive, and the whole album gave this
grey-haired former petrolhead (motorsport enthusiast) a lot of
pleasure.

With subjects like these I tend to avoid extreme wide angles (anything
wider than 28mm on full frame, say 18mm on APS-C) because cars of that
era were rarely photographed with ultra-wides *in that era*. So some
of the shots, while technically beyond criticism, are slightly less
evocative than they might be because of the focal lengths used.

I liked them a lot. The Troll won't. ;-)

Thanks for checking, and the comments.
If you check the EXIF, you will find the 1930 Alfa Zagato GC-1750 GS
shot was @ 38mm (57mm FF equiv.)
Here it is pulled out some @ 24mm (36mm FF equiv.)

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/_DNC3951w.jpg

Savageduck

Old August 18th 10, 12:52 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-08-17 13:07:34 -0700, Savageduck said:

[...]

Thanks again, a lovely shot and as crisp as could be.

I apologise for not making myself clear about the too-wide shots. I
wasn't referring to either of the two I highlighted, whose angles of
view were perfect (I just prayed to see that lovely Alfa through an
aperture two stops smaller!).

Here are some examples, where the wide angle was IMHO a little too
wide:
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/La...240_large.html
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/La...530_large.html
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/La...350_large.html
(do you have any shots of the exquisite Bugattis in the background?!?)
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/La...406_large.html

My point is that, while these are shots that look perfectly normal in
2010, when extreme wide-angle lenses are in many people's camera bags,
they don't evoke the spirit of the cars' heyday. In the 1960s, for
example, a 35mm lens on 35mm film was considered wide enough.

So it's not in any way a criticism, just observing that some of the
shots might have been even more evocative if you had chosen a slightly
longer focal length.

I understand what you are saying, but you shoot with what you have.

I got all sorts of Bugatti shots, and Lagonda shots. The main reason I
tried getting those Bugatti project car shots by going wide, was just
to capture the jaw dropping spectacle of what was there.

Savageduck