scanning slides with flatbed scanner - any other methods?

Old January 13th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default scanning slides with flatbed scanner - any other methods?

I have tried scanning old 35mm slides using these methods or various
combinations -
http://www.abstractconcreteworks.com.../scanning.html
http://www.afn.org/%7Eafn11300/slides.html

but the results have been less than satisfactory (the images appear washed
out with no color). It may be the flatbed scanner (HP PSC 1610) or the
type of flourescent light used as a backlight. I have also tried the
scanner software settings - color, light, "old photo", etc. but this doesn't
help much. There are not enough slides to justify buying an adapter and I
know I could get a service to do this with a real slide scanner but before
that -- has anyone else used these methods or have another way to scan
slides using a flatbed scanner?
Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks

Old January 13th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Steve" wrote...

I have tried scanning old 35mm slides using these methods or various
combinations -
http://www.abstractconcreteworks.com.../scanning.html
http://www.afn.org/%7Eafn11300/slides.html

but the results have been less than satisfactory (the images appear washed
out with no color). It may be the flatbed scanner (HP PSC 1610) or the
type of flourescent light used as a backlight. I have also tried the
scanner software settings - color, light, "old photo", etc. but this
doesn't
help much. There are not enough slides to justify buying an adapter and I
know I could get a service to do this with a real slide scanner but before
that -- has anyone else used these methods or have another way to scan
slides using a flatbed scanner?
Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks

Even with dedicated slide/negative scanners, slides are tougher to scan
well than negatives due to slide's high contrast levels. Scanning slides
with a flatbed scanner will do much worse. Since you say you have a
small-ish number of slides, you'd be best off by finding a professional
scanning service with a high-end slide scanner.

Craig

Old January 13th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

This is a bit "old school", but the method has been around forever.
You'll need an adaptor to hook it up to your digital camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=DH1GTGrcpR!258024540?O=productList &A=buyUsed&Q=81740

Old January 13th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Steve" wrote in message
.. .
I have tried scanning old 35mm slides using these methods or various
combinations -
http://www.abstractconcreteworks.com.../scanning.html
http://www.afn.org/%7Eafn11300/slides.html

but the results have been less than satisfactory (the images appear washed
out with no color).

I tried the methods above, and finally got frustrated enough to spend $80
for an inexpensive scanner with builtin transparency capabilities. Much
better.

Tom G.

Old January 13th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Pat wrote:
This is a bit "old school", but the method has been around forever.
You'll need an adaptor to hook it up to your digital camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=DH1GTGrcpR!258024540?O=productList &A=buyUsed&Q=81740

A limitation when copying with a digicam is that you don't get all the detail in the
slide, unless you have a camera with at least 12 Mp. but is an inexpensive way to get the
job done, and it will be faster than scanning.
Old January 13th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I have tried scanning old 35mm slides using these methods or various
combinations -

You don't say what quality you are looking for.

If top notch quality isn't a requirement, you can perhaps try this method:

http://tinyurl.com/c2et8
(It is a home made slide duplicator)

Malcolm

Old January 14th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Malcolm" wrote in message
I have tried scanning old 35mm slides using these methods or various
combinations -

You don't say what quality you are looking for.

If top notch quality isn't a requirement, you can perhaps try this method:

http://tinyurl.com/c2et8
(It is a home made slide duplicator)

Malcolm

the quality of the pics looks pretty good (for my purposes). I may build
one of those homemade slide duplicators
thanks!

Old January 14th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:31:55 +0200, "Malcolm"
wrote:

I have tried scanning old 35mm slides using these methods or various
combinations -

You don't say what quality you are looking for.

If top notch quality isn't a requirement, you can perhaps try this method:

http://tinyurl.com/c2et8
(It is a home made slide duplicator)

Malcolm

Serendipitous. This evening I read the above. This afternoon I had
been trying a similar - but hardly as well-crafted - approach with:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tony_cooper213/slide.jpg

Haven't got it to work yet. Haven't been able to focus properly.

That's a plumbing fitting that I had in the garage. It sorta fits
over the extended lens if you don't jiggle.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old January 14th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

I have tried scanning old 35mm slides using these methods or various
combinations -

You don't say what quality you are looking for.

If top notch quality isn't a requirement, you can perhaps try this

method:

http://tinyurl.com/c2et8
(It is a home made slide duplicator)

Malcolm

Serendipitous. This evening I read the above. This afternoon I had
been trying a similar - but hardly as well-crafted - approach with:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tony_cooper213/slide.jpg

Haven't got it to work yet. Haven't been able to focus properly.

That's a plumbing fitting that I had in the garage. It sorta fits
over the extended lens if you don't jiggle.

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

For something like this to work your camera may need a "super macro"
function such as - http://users.iafrica.com/m/mc/mcollett/brsd/