Quandary - DX or FX?

Old April 11th 13, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Quandary - DX or FX?

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 07:10:59 +0000 (UTC), Nige Danton
wrote:

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an 18-105 lens.
Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a decade of using
digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with D7000, but am finding
the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light (indoors without flash) and am
thinking of buying a faster lens.

Also I've found some of the (cropped) images to be not quite as sharp as I
would like. This mainly seems to occur in low light shots.

I'm also keen to try some macro photography too, and have been thinking
about a macro lens, perhaps extension tubes or even a bellows.

My quandary is this. I'm not (at all) sure that I'm satisfied with a DX
format and really don't want to buy new lenses and accessories and then
find myself needing to re-buy them if/when I buy an FX body.

So, what do you think. Should I spend more time and practise getting the
best out of my D7000 or switch to an FX body now? Cost is not particular
issue - that said I don't want to be wasteful.

Appreciate any feedback.

If you want low light, low noise - high ISO - you want FX.

Don't forget, you can still shoot DX on your FX camera, with Nikon you can
choose whatever you want with whatever lens you have, no need to toss anything,
and a 24m or 36m FX will give you pretty good DX when you want it. Also you can
choose a square format if you want.

DOF is enhanced also with FX, and you don't lose your wide angle lenses!

A few shots with a 16mm lens on my D600 proved I made a good choice.

Cost is no issue? - FX it is!

Old April 11th 13, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: Also I've found some of the (cropped) images to be not quite as sharp as I
: would like. This mainly seems to occur in low light shots.
:
: I'm also keen to try some macro photography too, and have been thinking
: about a macro lens, perhaps extension tubes or even a bellows.
:
: My quandary is this. I'm not (at all) sure that I'm satisfied with a DX
: format and really don't want to buy new lenses and accessories and then
: find myself needing to re-buy them if/when I buy an FX body.
:
: So, what do you think. Should I spend more time and practise getting the
: best out of my D7000 or switch to an FX body now? Cost is not particular
: issue - that said I don't want to be wasteful.
:
: Appreciate any feedback.

Stick with the D7000 for now, but buy only lenses that can be used with an FX
body. (They'll be more telephoto-ish (and less wideangle-ish) on a DX body;
but if you keep the 1/1.5 conversion factor in mind, you'll be fine.) Then if
and when you decide you need the FX body, you won't have to buy all new
lenses. (That may never happen, BTW; you may find that all your
dissatisfaction was due to the quality of your current lenses.)

Bob
Old April 11th 13, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 12:00:46 +0000 (UTC), Joe Makowiec
wrote:
: On 10 Apr 2013 in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, Nige Danton wrote:
:
: I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an
: 18-105 lens. Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a
: decade of using digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with
: D7000, but am finding the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light
: (indoors without flash) and am thinking of buying a faster lens.
:
: I have a D7000, and I've found that I can get acceptable to very good
: results up to about ISO 1600, so try shooting at a higher ISO.
:
: snip
: My quandary is this. I'm not (at all) sure that I'm satisfied with a DX
: format and really don't want to buy new lenses and accessories and then
: find myself needing to re-buy them if/when I buy an FX body.
: snip
: Appreciate any feedback.
:
: What is the ultimate destination of the pictures? If you're printing and
: blowing up your pictures substantially, there might be some merit to an
: FX camera. If you're going mainly to screen, and not taking small crops
: out of the center of the image, DX should work fine.

Building on Joe's point ...
A DX camera can be advantageous for event photography (where you may be trying
to capture faces from across the room), because it amplifies the effect of a
telephoto lens. But not so much for landscapes, where you may need the wider
view of FX.

Bob
Old April 11th 13, 11:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Taylor

On 10/04/2013 22:03, Alan Browne wrote:
[]
A friend has stuck to DX and now is in a quandary because the price of a
14mm lens is so high. Had he gone with FX he would have been able to
use his existing 20mm kit.

The friend might care to look at the Tamron 10-24 mm zoom - quite good
for the price:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...24_3p5-5p6_n15
--
Cheers,
David
Old April 11th 13, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2013.04.11 06:30 , David Taylor wrote:
On 10/04/2013 22:03, Alan Browne wrote:
[]
A friend has stuck to DX and now is in a quandary because the price of a
14mm lens is so high. Had he gone with FX he would have been able to
use his existing 20mm kit.

The friend might care to look at the Tamron 10-24 mm zoom - quite good
for the price:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...24_3p5-5p6_n15

Passed it on but I don't thing he'll go for a zoom, and the review in
that link is not exactly praise for sharpness.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old April 11th 13, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:
[...]

You can always crop a FF to the same end effect.

Old April 11th 13, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

A DX camera can be advantageous for event photography (where you may be
trying
to capture faces from across the room), because it amplifies the effect of a
telephoto lens.

You can always crop a FF to the same end effect.

and with a nikon d800, you get about the same number of pixels as you
would if you had a d7000 (15.4 versus 16 mp).
Old April 12th 13, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-04-11 14:20:28 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

On 2013.04.11 06:30 , David Taylor wrote:
On 10/04/2013 22:03, Alan Browne wrote:
[]
A friend has stuck to DX and now is in a quandary because the price of

14mm lens is so high. Had he gone with FX he would have been able to
use his existing 20mm kit.

The friend might care to look at the Tamron 10-24 mm zoom - quite good
for the price:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...24_3p5-5p6_n15

Passed it on but I don't thing he'll go for a zoom, and the review in
that link is not exactly praise for sharpness.

The Tokina 12-24mm f/4 FF does better than both the Tamron and Sigma in
the dpreview conclusion.

I use the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, that is a DX lens and I am more than
happy with that.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tokina_12-24_4_n15

Savageduck

Old April 12th 13, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

: wrote:
: : On 10 Apr 2013 in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, Nige Danton wrote:
: :
[...]

FX cameras are heavier; and if you carry two cameras, as I usually do at
events, the end effect on your neck muscles may not be the same. :^)

Bob
Old April 12th 13, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-04-11 18:52:02 -0700, Robert Coe said:

Le Snip

FX cameras are heavier; and if you carry two cameras, as I usually do at
events, the end effect on your neck muscles may not be the same. :^)

Bob

Then take the load off your neck with a BlackRapid R-Strap, Available
in single or double.
http://www.blackrapid.com

Savageduck