Advice for finding discontinued film

Old October 6th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
HeroOfSpielburg

Default Advice for finding discontinued film

Hello,

I'm particularly fond of Konica Minolta Centuria Super NH, a big part
of it may be that I have a DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II and the two go
together so well. Unfortunately, since Konica Minolta is out of the
film business, I've been having a hard time finding left over stock. I
did a little nosing around on Google and found some that seems to be
for sale from the site PhotoSuperia.com. However, the site's English
is a little dodgy and like a lot of photographic supply vendors owned
by some other holding firm with a physical address in Brooklyn
(maybe).

I've never bought anything from a photography speciality site before,
and I was just wondering if in general these places are fairly
reputable, or often sham businesses and risky to give a CC# to. If
there's any other place someone can recommend for finding discontinued
film in bulk, I'd be very much obliged!

Thank you for the advice!

Old October 6th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Hathaway via PhotoKB.com

I can't help you about picking a good site.

However remember you can get a limited use CC# from your CC company. That
way you can control how much money they can suck out of your account if they
are flaky.

Have a good day.

William

Old October 6th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
hickster11

"HeroOfSpielburg" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The Google map site finds no

such address in Brooklyn and PhotoSuperia is listed in Manhattan under 47 st
Photo, which I wouldn't trust as far as I can throw them. But 47st Photo
does have a ware house in Brooklyn on Court St, which is nowhere near
Willoughby Ave. I'd forget it. Bob Hickey

Old October 8th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste

"HeroOfSpielburg" wrote:

I'm particularly fond of Konica Minolta Centuria Super NH, a big part
of it may be that I have a DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II and the two go
together so well. Unfortunately, since Konica Minolta is out of the
film business, I've been having a hard time finding left over stock. I
did a little nosing around on Google and found some that seems to be
for sale from the site PhotoSuperia.com. However, the site's English
is a little dodgy and like a lot of photographic supply vendors owned
by some other holding firm with a physical address in Brooklyn
(maybe).

I saw some Centuria on sale at Hunts Photo and Video when I was in
there yesterday. While they don't list it on their website, you
may wish to give them a call at 800-221-1830.

--
Michael Benveniste --
Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $250. Use this email

Old October 8th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Oct 5, 9:04 pm, HeroOfSpielburg wrote:
Hello,

I'm particularly fond of Konica Minolta Centuria Super NH, a big part
of it may be that I have a DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II and the two go
together so well.

Why would it be any different from any other film?

Old October 8th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Toni Nikkanen

Annika1980 writes:

I'm particularly fond of Konica Minolta Centuria Super NH, a big part
of it may be that I have a DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II and the two go
together so well.

Why would it be any different from any other film?

What kind of question is that? All films are different, and if you
happen to like one particular kind it's only natural to want more of
it.
Old October 9th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Oct 8, 2:56 pm, Toni Nikkanen wrote:
Annika1980 writes:
I'm particularly fond of Konica Minolta Centuria Super NH, a big part
of it may be that I have a DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II and the two go
together so well.

Why would it be any different from any other film?

What kind of question is that? All films are different, and if you
happen to like one particular kind it's only natural to want more of
it.

My question concerned his statement that the scanner performs well
with that particular film ("the two go together so well"). Why would
it perform well with that film and not Reala? There is a popular
thought that some films scan better than others, but I've never heard
a case of one scanner preferring a certain type of film. It might
also be interesting to know what software he is using to scan with.

Old October 9th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Toni Nikkanen

Annika1980 writes:

My question concerned his statement that the scanner performs well
with that particular film ("the two go together so well"). Why would
it perform well with that film and not Reala? There is a popular
thought that some films scan better than others, but I've never heard
a case of one scanner preferring a certain type of film. It might
also be interesting to know what software he is using to scan with.

While I think Konica-Minolta scanners handle Reala very well, I guess
it could still be that they are even better with Konica-Minolta's own
film when it comes to getting correct colour due to the orange mask of
color negatives. That's just a guess though. I think I scanned one or
two rolls of Centuria 100 with my K-M Scan Elite 5400 II and they
turned out nice, but didn't shoot equivalent shots of the same scenes
with Reala for comparison.

Old October 9th 07, 07:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Oct 9, 2:30 am, Toni Nikkanen wrote:

While I think Konica-Minolta scanners handle Reala very well, I guess
it could still be that they are even better with Konica-Minolta's own
film when it comes to getting correct colour due to the orange mask of
color negatives.

Yes, scanning negatives is always a crapshoot anyway.
Since I also own a 5400 I might try a roll of the Minolta film if I
could find it.

Old October 9th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
HeroOfSpielburg

Thanks to everyone for the discussion.

film when it comes to getting correct colour due to the orange mask of
color negatives. That's just a guess though. I think I scanned one or
two rolls of Centuria 100 with my K-M Scan Elite 5400 II and they
turned out nice, but didn't shoot equivalent shots of the same scenes
with Reala for comparison.

In my experience, this is correct. Just as different types of film
stock manifests different characteristics in print, the same goes for
scanning. On first scan, the color balance of the Centuria is a lot
more natural and gives a lot more vivid blues that makes the picture
feel cooler. However, when I scan Kodak SuperGold 400 shot in the
same lighting conditions, the scan usually comes out with a sort of
unnatural yellow wash that really degrades the depth of of the
picture. I suppose I could set up a custom profile with some
correction for the curves and apply it when scanning the Kodak, but
I'm really so fond of the tonal separation I get from the Centuria I
don't want to mess with much else.

I haven't tried scanning Reala yet. I will definitely take a look at
that next time, though.