Sears Tower Model 50/51 Folding Camera - Help Please

Old April 26th 05, 10:47 PM
OnSafari

Default Sears Tower Model 50/51 Folding Camera - Help Please

Hello All,

A buddy of mine gave me his father's folding Tower Camera. After
trying to do some research on it on the internet, I have found out that
it was sold in Sears under the Tower name and offered in their
catalogue in 1952.

The camera takes 120 film, and since it is in such good condition, I
want to try out a few shots with it. My friend's father had passed
away a few year's back, and I know he would like to see that I put this
camera to use.

Does anyone in this group have any familiarity with this camera? It
seems to be very simple. According to the Sears Catalogue, it's focus
range is from 6 feet to infinity. Essentially this is just a foldable
point and shoot.

Anyway, the two questions that I have are on loading the film. It
seems to be straightforward, and I had found an article on the internet
about loading film in to box cameras, that helped me understand how to
load in film here. But again, if anyone has used this camera before I
would appreciate some advice.

The second question is in regards to the shutter-release switch. It is
at a very awkward place, and I see no way to trigger the shutter
without shaking the camera. The shutter release switch is located on
the lens, and there is a little metal piece that slides to move the
shutter release, but that too is in front of the lens. All in all, it
is an awkward setup and I have a feeling that either something is
missing, that possible something could be attached to help (string?),
or that I am overlooking something.

Any suggestions? I am not sure how to post a picture of this camera to
a newsgroup, but if anyone needs to see it before offering assistance,
I would have no problem sending it over.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Old April 27th 05, 04:46 AM
Stacey

OnSafari wrote:

The camera takes 120 film, and since it is in such good condition, I
want to try out a few shots with it. My friend's father had passed
away a few year's back, and I know he would like to see that I put this
camera to use.

It's a pretty poor performing camera, about the equal of a $15-20 plastic
camera at walmart today, except the plastic walmart camera will produce
better results. They are worth maybe $5-10 used in excellent condition..

Does anyone in this group have any familiarity with this camera?

Yep, have one in my tower collection, the one with the "crystal" single
element lens...

It
seems to be very simple. According to the Sears Catalogue, it's focus
range is from 6 feet to infinity. Essentially this is just a foldable
point and shoot.

Anyway, the two questions that I have are on loading the film. It
seems to be straightforward, and I had found an article on the internet
about loading film in to box cameras, that helped me understand how to
load in film here. But again, if anyone has used this camera before I
would appreciate some advice.

Just make sure the paper is toward the back of the camera while loading and
after closing the back, wind till you see the first number.. I'd look up
film loading in a folder, not a box camera for instructions.

http://www.davidrichert.com/loading_film.htm

Note how this camera shown has adjustable shutter speed and fstops, that's a
hint that it's a better camera. I've found if they have a 1 second shutter
speed, it's probably a pretty good performaing camera as only the more
expencive models have this.

The second question is in regards to the shutter-release switch. It is
at a very awkward place, and I see no way to trigger the shutter
without shaking the camera.

Won't matter much, the optical quality is -very- poor anyway!

Any suggestions? I am not sure how to post a picture of this camera to
a newsgroup,

Like this? There is always one of ebay someone thinks is worth something..

Now there was a tower model 51 that was a 35mm rangefinder made by Ilocca
that wasn't a bad little camera, sorry but this folder you have is just a
cheap little camera, sold for $16.95 in my 53 catalog when a super ikonta
was $162.50. Now that ikonta camera will still produce good results, this
tower isn't going to.

If you still want to give it a try, get a deep yellow or red gel filter and
tape it behind the lens inside the camera, load some real B&W film and give
it a whirl. The filter will help the poor lens and give it a chance of
making something useable. I wouldn't expect anything but marginal OK
contact prints from it..

Now some of the box camera's aren't bad, tower made a couple that work
pretty well, but that's for another day..

--

Stacey

Old April 27th 05, 04:12 PM
OnSafari

Thanks Stacey,

I appreciate the input. I'm not too worried about the results, but
since I have the camera, and since it works, I would like to give it a
try - not to mention what I believe it would mean to my friend.

For real images I have two Mamiya RB67 Pro II's and a Nikon D100 and
F100. Sometimes it's fun to play with an older camera. I know the
results will not compare to my other cameras, but I am still interested
in seeing what will come out.

Thank you again,

Chris

Old April 28th 05, 06:06 AM
Stacey

OnSafari wrote:

Thanks Stacey,

For real images I have two Mamiya RB67 Pro II's and a Nikon D100 and
F100. Sometimes it's fun to play with an older camera.

Trust me, I understand that one. I have fun shooting with old box cameras
from time to time.

I know the
results will not compare to my other cameras, but I am still interested
in seeing what will come out.

Like I said, glue a red gel behind the lens (this helps with the
CA/sharpness) and shoot some real B&W film and it might look OK. Also
figure to develop for contrast as it won't have much!
--

Stacey
Old April 28th 05, 07:39 AM
James Morrison via PhotoKB.com

Well, since we're talking vintage Sears- does anyone know anything about
the "Marvel" wooden view camera
that Sears sold way back when?
Old April 30th 05, 04:25 AM
Stacey

James Morrison via PhotoKB.com wrote:

Well, since we're talking vintage Sears- does anyone know anything about
the "Marvel" wooden view camera
that Sears sold way back when?

Sorry, the catalogs I have are from the 50's (a 53, a 58 and a 59) and I
don't see anything like that.
--

Stacey