Photographying a church

Old April 28th 04, 02:52 AM
Randall Ainsworth

Default Photographying a church

Did you even bother to read my post? This is yet another criticism.
Don't tell me what NOT to do, tell me EXACTLY: how would you set up
your lights?

I'd put the fill light as close to the camera as possible, then put the
main off-axis a little bit - not too much or you'll get shadow problems
with a large group. The main should be a stop brighter than the fill.
For posing, heads should be in triangle and each individual should be
able to stand on their own individually. Of course, with time
constraints it's only gonna get so good. I have a set of studio stools
which easily/quickly adjust up and down...and a set of 3 collapsible
wooden sort-of stools that are easily portable.
The lights should be "nailed down" and the people posed in
approximately the same place...same f/stop for everything.
neutral/non-distracting background. Again, this will only get so good.
Old April 28th 04, 03:23 AM
Michael Benveniste

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 06:01:26 -0700, Randall Ainsworth
wrote:

I'd hope that you don't do regular studio lighting the same way. You
NEVER have the main and fill on opposite sides of the camera.

Never, huh? I guess when one can't rely on common sense or talent,
one has to fall back on rules.

I'm not a pro, but I will frequently add an opposite side reflector or
fill light when using split lighting. I've even been known to add a
spot of light via a snoot, and I'll position that snoot where ever I
need to.

The purpose of the rule you cite is to avoid having crossing shadows
in the portrait. Whenever you have more than one light source, that
can happen, especially when the sources are similar in strength and
from non-diffuse sources.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old April 28th 04, 04:53 AM
Randall Ainsworth

Never, huh? I guess when one can't rely on common sense or talent,
one has to fall back on rules.

The light source should appear to come from only one direction. I
rarely used hairlights in the studio just because they looked phony. I
used short lighting religiously for individuals (broad light is a
corrective light).

I'm not a pro, but I will frequently add an opposite side reflector or
fill light when using split lighting. I've even been known to add a
spot of light via a snoot, and I'll position that snoot where ever I
need to.

I used supplementary lights when needed but sparingly and always
followihng the "one main light" concept.

The purpose of the rule you cite is to avoid having crossing shadows
in the portrait. Whenever you have more than one light source, that
can happen, especially when the sources are similar in strength and
from non-diffuse sources.

I can happen, but never with me.
Old April 29th 04, 08:49 AM
Patrick L.

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
How do I position a Mom, Dad, and four kids? Do I simply need stools of
different heights? Should I have some standing and other sitting? Any
and all tips are more then welcome.

If you're asking that question, maybe you shouldn't be doing the job.
I think it was Clint Eastwood who said it best - "A man's got to know
hos limitations.'

**** off, asshole.

Patrick

Old April 29th 04, 01:46 PM
Randall Ainsworth

**** off, asshole.

Patrick

Your mother must be proud.
Old May 8th 04, 04:02 AM
Jack Germsheid

Sam,
Maybe don't try to reinvent he wheel here and do your shots outside like
the ones on your web site. Is that possible? Some open shade near the
church would probably be much nicer anyway, weather permiting. Couldn't
be worse than the average church directory lighting.
Jack

Sam Carleton wrote:

I have been asked to photograph the families of my church parish for a
photo directory. I was asked because I do family portraits on the side.
I have 99% of all the equipment, I own the lights, possible backgrounds,
and I shoot medium format. My problem is that I have never shot a
family in such a sterile environment before. Normally I am
photographing families outside.

How do I position a Mom, Dad, and four kids? Do I simply need stools of
different heights? Should I have some standing and other sitting? Any
and all tips are more then welcome.

Sam
--
http://www.miltonstreet.com