wedding pictures

Old April 9th 05, 10:25 AM
sarah amaton via PhotoKB.com

Default wedding pictures

hello,

My friend is getting married in a couple of weeks and she can't afford a
photographer, so I want to take some pictures of just the bride and groom
and maybe the brial party.Now I know this could be all wrong since the
wedding is so special and my pictures might not be all that,but she knows
I'm not professional and she is not paying me it's just something I would
like to do for her.

Anyways,getting the point. I have an olympus slr om-1 with a 49mm
skylight(1b) filter.My friend's wedding is at a golf course and the
pictures will be outdoor and partly shaded.I would also like to take some
pictures that look soft and alittle fuzzy. Does anyone have any suggestions
on what kind of film and filters to use.

Thanks lots,
sarah

Old April 10th 05, 01:55 AM
Gregory Blank

"sarah amaton via PhotoKB.com" wrote:

hello,

My friend is getting married in a couple of weeks and she can't afford a
photographer, so I want to take some pictures of just the bride and groom
and maybe the brial party.Now I know this could be all wrong since the
wedding is so special and my pictures might not be all that,but she knows
I'm not professional and she is not paying me it's just something I would
like to do for her.

Anyways,getting the point. I have an olympus slr om-1 with a 49mm
skylight(1b) filter.My friend's wedding is at a golf course and the
pictures will be outdoor and partly shaded.I would also like to take some
pictures that look soft and alittle fuzzy. Does anyone have any suggestions
on what kind of film and filters to use.

Thanks lots,
sarah

Oh boy here we go again.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old April 10th 05, 02:44 AM
Scott Coutts

Gregory Blank wrote:
In article ,
[...]

How useful you have been. Good thing for all of us that you're here to
relay such insight.

Anyway...

Firstly, I'm certainly no expert, but this is what I'd do. Bear in mind
that it might be wrong (: Someone else heremight be able to help. Post
also in some other groups like rec.photo and aus.photo etc if you want
some more info.

Given that you're shooting someone's wedding, then if you're not sure
about something, then I'd recommend sticking with the basics. At least,
stick with what you're very comfortable with. This is espeically
important if you're shooting on film where you can't check to see that
you've gotten the shots that you want. A wedding isnt the place for
testing out new methods and experimenting (: If you really want
something different, then shoot lots and lots and lots of film, bracket
your exposures etc. Shoot as many as you can, so even if you have to
throw 80% in the bin, you'll still get some good ones. I'm not saying
you're a bad photographer, I'm just saying the more you shoot the
greater your chances of success and getting a 'special' shot rather than
a snap shot. You'll only get one chance. You dont have to print them
all... get the lab to do negs only, or negs and a proof sheet. Then look
through the negs and proof sheets to find the ones you want and get only
those done.

Shoot lots of 'normal' ones and some experimental ones. Also, consider
shooting some black and white (real black and white, not C41) . They can
turn out nice, but again, do lots of bracketing, especially if you're
dealing with traditional dark shadows (suits) and bright whites
(dresses) in the same frame.

If you want 'soft' shots, you can get filters from Hoya and others that
will do it for you. They're called Hoya Softener A and Softener B.
THere's also a diffuser (it's called that) and also a filter that will
soften only the edges, and leave a sharp centre (Hoya Centre Spot).

Also, there are special films for shooting portraits that you might like
to consider, such as the Fuji NPS160. There's also high contrast
portrait film called NPC160 which can give nice high-contrast shots with
bright colours.

Do you have a flash that you know how to use well? If so, use some fill
flash if they're in the shadows. Otherwise, move them somewhere that you
can get good light (but not full blazing sun)

If you have, or can borrow, an extra camera, then that's even better,
because you can have black and white and normal film, or normal film and
portrait film going at once, and you can shoot with one camera and then
the other. Otherwise, use up an entire roll in one go, and then shoot
with another roll straight after.

Lastly, do lots of reading on the net on wedding techiniques. There'll
be lots of good tips and tricks to use, and ways to make sure you get
good shots.

Most of all, good luck. I hope you get some nice shots (:

Scott.

Old April 10th 05, 09:59 AM
Al Denelsbeck

"sarah amaton via PhotoKB.com" wrote in
:

hello,

My friend is getting married in a couple of weeks and she can't
afford a
photographer, so I want to take some pictures of just the bride and
groom and maybe the brial party.Now I know this could be all wrong
since the wedding is so special and my pictures might not be all
that,but she knows I'm not professional and she is not paying me it's
just something I would like to do for her.

Anyways,getting the point. I have an olympus slr om-1 with a 49mm
skylight(1b) filter.My friend's wedding is at a golf course and the
pictures will be outdoor and partly shaded.I would also like to take
some pictures that look soft and alittle fuzzy. Does anyone have any
suggestions on what kind of film and filters to use.

Thanks lots,
sarah

Scott's advice is pretty solid, but I'll add a little to it as well.

Definitely some portrait film, Fuji NPH or Kodak Portra 400 is where
I'd aim. Excellent skin tones and pleasant contrast levels.

Buy, beg, borrow, or scrounge a couple of extra lenses if possible,
35mm and 85mm, or as close as you can get. 35mm will give you a wider view
to do "locale" shots or small groups, 85mm or a little longer will be
better for portraits. Even 50mm, when used close to people, can distort
faces in an unflattering way. Standing back further and using a short
telephoto works a lot better. Also, it gives better control over depth-of-
field, letting the background go much softer while keeping your subject
sharp.

Avoid mixed lighting. Contrast always increases on film, even low-
contrast film, and those soft shadows can become much darker in the prints.
Try to stay in the same lighting, and for preference, open shade. Using a
flash, even when the light seems sufficient, can help balance the light
levels, but since you may not have time to get familiar with this, shoot
with and without flash.

Multiple shots of everything. It's that really great shot that
someone will have their eyes closed in ;-)

Couple of key things for weddings. Remember that the classic print
size is 8x10, yet your film frame is a different ratio (8x12). Leave space
on the sides when framing your photos to account for this cropping - in
other words, think closer in terms of a square rather than using the entire
frame.

Also, be sure to shoot quite a few full-length poses, including feet.
Get details of the dress, preferably from all sides, and as Scott says,
bracket (shoot exposures a little above and below the exposure that the
camera meter provides). White dresses and black tuxes often fool the camera
meter, which is adjusted for middle grey.

Watch every little detail. Your eye should rove the entire background
visible in the frame, as well as every detail on the happy couple, for each
shot. It's real easy to get that annoying distraction in there that can
ruin a photo. Especially watch errant clothing, placement of hands, wilting
flowers, and so on. Photo assistants are fabulous for this - two people
knowing what to look for is always better, and one can rush forward and
smooth the dress train while you hold position.

Soft focus. A screw-on filter would probably annoy you, since your
best bet is to shoot the same images with and without - they behave
differently in different lighting, and have the most dreamy effect with
*soft* backlighting. If you buy one, go instead for the square format
slide-in filters intended with filter holders like Cokin, and simply hold
it up in front of the lens when needed. In a pinch, you can also use a
clean piece of old nylon hose stretched over the lens, a clear filter with
petroleum jelly smeared around the outer edges, and if weather conditions
permit, a hard huff of breath can condense onto the lens or filter long
enough to work well, but you gotta move quick.

Best bet: If you can arrange a test shoot ahead of time in the same
locale and conditions, you will learn a tremendous amount. Take notes if
necessary, but the couple of rolls you use will be wisely spent.

Plan on failures. If you can't have a backup body, at least have
loads of batteries, and a small tool kit. Lots of film. Straight and safety
pins. Lots of lens cleaning materials. Don't let yourself get flustered -
this leads to stupid errors you'll hate yourself for. Take breathers and
think back over what you're doing, and watch the camera settings carefully.
It's easy to forget you set aperture for high depth-of-field and are now in
a situation where the shutter speed is too slow to handhold for sharp
photos.

All that said, relax and be upbeat and even a little goofy. At least
half of the photographer's job is handling the subjects, and your emotions
will be catching, so make them work for you. The 'happy' couple will
probably be stressed out of their minds, so take control from them and do
it like you've been doing it all your life - they'll be happy to let you
handle it and much more relaxed. Have fun with it, and shoot a couple
frames just for giggles. Take the opportunity to do a couple of informals
and photojournalistic shots before and after, too.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you all.

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old April 12th 05, 05:01 AM
Whatevah

sarah amaton via PhotoKB.com wrote:
hello,

My friend is getting married in a couple of weeks and she can't afford a
photographer, so I want to take some pictures of just the bride and groom
and maybe the brial party.Now I know this could be all wrong since the
wedding is so special and my pictures might not be all that,but she knows
I'm not professional and she is not paying me it's just something I would
like to do for her.

Anyways,getting the point. I have an olympus slr om-1 with a 49mm
skylight(1b) filter.My friend's wedding is at a golf course and the
pictures will be outdoor and partly shaded.I would also like to take some
pictures that look soft and alittle fuzzy. Does anyone have any suggestions
on what kind of film and filters to use.

Thanks lots,
sarah

Try to find a photography student willing to do it for cheap or for a
portfolio. Even if they haven't shot weddings before, they should have a
solid portfolio showing that they can shoot well, and artistically. If
you live in a metropolitan area, craigslist.org is a good place to start
looking.

It may result in better pictures than you could do, and also allow you
to enjoy the wedding.

--
Whatevah / Jerry Horn
Jerry {at} Whatevah.com (working address)