xtol for 4x5 or what is best

Old February 21st 04, 09:02 PM
Gary Banuk

Default xtol for 4x5 or what is best

I am just getting back into 4x5 after many years and would like to
know what is a good developer for this film (TMAX 100)?

Any thoughts
Old February 21st 04, 09:41 PM
Reciprocity Failure

D76 is a good choice. I develop T Max 100 with it at 1-1, 75 degrees,
contstant agitation. Not that my times will necessarily be yours but FWIW my
N time is 6 minutes 15 seconds, N - 1 is 5 minutes, N+1 is 7 minutes 45
seconds, N - 2 is 4 minutes, N+2 is 11 minutes.

Old February 21st 04, 11:04 PM
Msherck

I am just getting back into 4x5 after many years and would like to
know what is a good developer for this film (TMAX 100)?

My preference is Kodak's T-Max RS, per the instructions, 8 mins. I like the
tonality and crispness -- it seems to bring out the best in the TMX film.

mjs

C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit.

Old February 23rd 04, 05:00 AM
Frank Pittel

Gary Banuk wrote:
: I am just getting back into 4x5 after many years and would like to
: know what is a good developer for this film (TMAX 100)?

I'm partial to Tmax-rs. Dilute 1:9 and use at 75 degrees.

-------------------

Old February 24th 04, 01:35 AM
Gary Banuk

I thought that Tmax was not recommended for 4x5.

Old February 24th 04, 01:51 AM
Frank Pittel

Gary Banuk wrote:
: I thought that Tmax was not recommended for 4x5.

That's correct. Not only is it not recommended Kodak comes right out says
that Tmax shouldn't be used at all wit sheet film. They have another
developer called Tmax-rs which is recommended for use with sheet film.

I personally use Tmax for roll film and Tmax-rs for sheet film. Most people
I know use Tmax-rs for both. This is to minimize the number of developers/chemicals
they keep around the house. I however prefer Tmax over Tmax-rs so I use it where
I can.

:

Old February 24th 04, 01:53 AM
Mark A

"Gary Banuk" wrote in message
I thought that Tmax was not recommended for 4x5.

TMAX RS works fine. Regular TMAX (non RS version) developer is not
recommended for TMAX films.

Old February 24th 04, 05:44 PM
Christopher Perez

I heard that TMax100 and 400 were developed as products using D76 as the
foundation. It's a wonderful combination. In my case, I use D76
straight and used Minor White's eye match method to determine film speed
and development times.

I hope this helps - Chris

Old May 31st 04, 06:04 PM
Sandorm Mathe

Christopher Perez chrisper_r wrote:
I heard that TMax100 and 400 were developed as products using D76 as the
foundation. It's a wonderful combination. In my case, I use D76
straight and used Minor White's eye match method to determine film speed
and development times.

I hope this helps - Chris

"eye match method"? got a reference or a brief description?

Thanks
--
Sandor Mathe