Lift off with the Nikon D70!!!

Old August 12th 04, 07:26 PM
Dallas

Default Lift off with the Nikon D70!!!

Yep! I got one!

This is a damn fine camera, that's for sure. It makes the Canon D60 look
like a dinosaur in comparison. It is especially good in the AF department
and even with my old Angenieux 28-70mm f/2.6 AF I get very quick and
decisive auto focus in dim lighting, and on all AF points.

I spent the whole day going through the manual and checking different
things out. It definitely can't use pre-AI lenses, which is a bit of a let
down for me, but I can get those lenses modified to AI and they should
mount fine. No metering of course, but in the studio that is hardly a
concern. I have one Nikon 105mm f/2.5 that is AI and I got by fine using
just the sunny f/16 rule and the histogram tool earlier today.

The 18-70mm AF-S lens was something I didn't anticipate getting, but now
I'm glad I did. It is nice and compact, lightweight and has a very
friendly zoom range. Out of curiousity I mounted it on the F4 to see what
would happen and I was quite surprised to see that it auto-focusses like a
dream. It's a real pity about the "cropped" field of view. Looking through
the camera you get this tunnel vision, especially at 18mm. But boy! Can
that F4 focus mice with AF-S!!!

Now I am hunting for the 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S, but it looks like Nikon has
discontinued them and is pushing the 70-200mm G-VR version instead. KEH
seems to have a few available but the price looks a bit heavy at $1120. I
suppose it doesn't come with the hood. I remember having to buy the hood
for my older 2-ring AF-D version seperately.

I think Nikon truly have a winner with the D70 and I for one and very
happy to be back in the fold!

--
Dallas
Group guidelines on http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
Old August 13th 04, 01:54 AM

(Dallas) wrote:
Yep! I got one!
================================

I would rather get a D70 than a 300D, *IF* I could mount Canon lenses to
it.

Cody,

http://community-2.webtv.net/AnOverc...otographyLinks

Old August 13th 04, 01:54 AM

(Dallas) wrote:
Yep! I got one!
================================

Old August 13th 04, 01:54 AM

(Dallas) wrote:
Yep! I got one!
================================

Old August 13th 04, 02:21 AM
Annika1980

From: Dallas

Yep! I got one!

This is a damn fine camera, that's for sure. It makes the Canon D60 look
like a dinosaur in comparison.

That P.T. Barnum guy was pretty smart.

Old August 13th 04, 02:29 AM
Annika1980

From: Dallas

This is a damn fine camera, that's for sure. It makes the Canon D60 look
like a dinosaur in comparison.

Glad you finally found your calling.
Comedy.

Old August 13th 04, 02:40 AM