BEHOLD THE POWER OF INFRARED !

Old January 2nd 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

Default BEHOLD THE POWER OF INFRARED !

Here's a rather boring shot I took off the mountain today.

It is notable only because the mountains in the distance are usually
not visible and lost in the haze. But today was a clear day.

Now look at the same scene taken with the Totally Infrared D60:

The mountains in the distance seem to jump out at ya.
Infrared is great for cutting through smoke and haze.

Old January 2nd 08, 07:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_2_]

"Annika1980" wrote in message
Here's a rather boring shot I took off the mountain today.

It is notable only because the mountains in the distance are usually
not visible and lost in the haze. But today was a clear day.

Now look at the same scene taken with the Totally Infrared D60:

The mountains in the distance seem to jump out at ya.
Infrared is great for cutting through smoke and haze.

Very impressive!

Neil

Old January 2nd 08, 08:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Here's a rather boring shot I took off the mountain today.http://www.pbase..com/bret/image/91112475/original

Now look at the same scene taken with the Totally Infrared D60:http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/91112663/original

The mountains in the distance seem to jump out at ya.
Infrared is great for cutting through smoke and haze.

What an incredible difference!! Check out the detail in the
mountains, and the sky just comes alive!! Fantastic!
Thanks Bret!
Helen
Old January 2nd 08, 10:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Troy Piggins[_9_]

* Annika1980 is quoted & my replies are inline below :
Here's a rather boring shot I took off the mountain today.

It is notable only because the mountains in the distance are usually
not visible and lost in the haze. But today was a clear day.

Now look at the same scene taken with the Totally Infrared D60:

The mountains in the distance seem to jump out at ya.
Infrared is great for cutting through smoke and haze.

The mountains certainly do jump out in that second pic, but it
looks painted/rendered/processed in some other way. Is it? I
thought trees/leaves should be more white or something.

--
Troy Piggins
Please feel free to provide constructive criticism on any photos I post. I'm
Old January 2nd 08, 10:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Jan 2, 3:25 pm, Annika1980 wrote:
Here's a rather boring shot I took off the mountain today.http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/91112475/original

It is notable only because the mountains in the distance are usually
not visible and lost in the haze. But today was a clear day.

Now look at the same scene taken with the Totally Infrared D60:http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/91112663/original

The mountains in the distance seem to jump out at ya.
Infrared is great for cutting through smoke and haze.

I like the second shot very much, but as Troy points out there is a
lot of dark foliage so it doesn't look very IR-ish...

The demo would have been better if it really was the same scene (it's
a different angle and different lighting). And I'm afraid that first
shot looks like a John Navas effort with the smudged foliage (yes, at
'original' size!).

We have a similar-ish valley scene near here (I'm thinking Mt
Tamborine, for the locals), so I might give this a go soon.. I
haven't done much IR, and this is an interesting observation.
Old January 2nd 08, 12:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, rec.photo.digital
Scott W

On Jan 1, 7:25*pm, Annika1980 wrote:
Here's a rather boring shot I took off the mountain today.http://www.pbase..com/bret/image/91112475/original

It is notable only because the mountains in the distance are usually
not visible and lost in the haze. *But today was a clear day.

Now look at the same scene taken with the Totally Infrared D60:http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/91112663/original

The mountains in the distance seem to jump out at ya.
Infrared is great for cutting through smoke and haze.

Both photos are way under your normal standards. The first is very
soft and the seconds is pretty ugly, I am thinking jpeg artifacts.
And I would expect the second one to be ugly with it only using
something like 30KB for an image that size.

Scott
Old January 2nd 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, rec.photo.digital
Scott W

On Jan 2, 1:24*am, Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:
Scott W wrote:
Both photos are way under your normal standards. *The first is very
soft and the seconds is pretty ugly, I am thinking jpeg artifacts.
And I would expect the second one to be ugly with it only using
something like 30KB for an image that size.

I have to disagree, Scott. *The first one demonstrate the power of the
mighty 17-40/4. *The sharpness and magnificent detail jumps out at you.
Even the bokeh is beyond stunning. *The composition and execution of this
shot demonstrates the level of quality one gets when time is given to zoom
with your feet. *And the second one, WOW! *I have to agree with Helen. *This
is his best work yet. *As difficult as it is, I think Bret pulled it off and
emulated Uncle Floyd's style perfectly.

The second one does look like something Floyd would post, I have come
to expect much better from Bret.

Scott

Old January 2nd 08, 12:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Troy Piggins[_9_]

* is quoted & my replies are inline below
* :
[...]

The weather isn't very good for landscapes at the moment
And it doesn't look like going away in a hurry according to the
reports

Old January 2nd 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Jan 2, 4:13*am, Troy Piggins wrote:
* Annika1980 is quoted & my replies are inline below :

Here's a rather boring shot I took off the mountain today.

It is notable only because the mountains in the distance are usually
not visible and lost in the haze. *But today was a clear day.

Now look at the same scene taken with the Totally Infrared D60:

The mountains in the distance seem to jump out at ya.
Infrared is great for cutting through smoke and haze.

The mountains certainly do jump out in that second pic, but it
looks painted/rendered/processed in some other way. *Is it? *I
thought trees/leaves should be more white or something.

--
Troy Piggins
Please feel free to provide constructive criticism on any photos I post. *I'm
always learning and appreciate feedback.

When I shot with IR film, the real white foliage only showed up in
direct and harsh sunlight. It was always the norm to see high
contrast...going from really white to very black.
I love that lens!
Helen
Old January 2nd 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Jan 2, 9:43 pm, Troy Piggins wrote:
On Jan 2, 3:25 pm, Annika1980 wrote:
Here's a rather boring shot I took off the mountain today.http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/91112475/original
It is notable only because the mountains in the distance are usually
not visible and lost in the haze. But today was a clear day.

The weather isn't very good for landscapes at the moment
And it doesn't look like going away in a hurry according to the
reports

Yes, isn't it wonderful? (oh, er..sorry to all those people who were
looking for a nice soak-up-the-sun holiday.. - for some of us it is
wonderful to see all this rain!)

Anyway, I suspect IR is not quite so effective at cutting thru clouds,
fog and rain.. so you're right, there may be a bit of a delay!