*Ping* Michael Scarpitti

Old September 14th 04, 08:24 PM
Martin Francis

Default *Ping* Michael Scarpitti

Mike, we may not have seen eye to eye in the past, but as one of the few who
champion Leicaflex in this group I would appreciate your opinion.

What is your opinion of the Leica R6.2 and R7? Given the massive
collectability premium on the R6.2 (and that I am not a collector), would
you consider the R7 a better buy? Or indeed the R5 or R-E?

no, and yes...."

Old September 14th 04, 10:51 PM
Martin Francis

"Lourens Smak" wrote in message
The R6 (and 6.2) is a fully mechanical manual-exposure only camera,
which is why it is more expensive. (wanted because of the no-batteries
thing and it's extra durability, I suppose...) It is totally different
from the R4, R5 or R7 versions. When new an R6 was also more expensive.

Didn't realise the R6 had a mechanical shutter- was it also made in assoc.
with Minolta?

no, and yes...."

Old September 15th 04, 04:26 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Lourens Smak writes:

In article ,
"Martin Francis" wrote:

"Lourens Smak" wrote in message
The R6 (and 6.2) is a fully mechanical manual-exposure only camera,
which is why it is more expensive. (wanted because of the no-batteries
thing and it's extra durability, I suppose...) It is totally different
from the R4, R5 or R7 versions. When new an R6 was also more expensive.

Didn't realise the R6 had a mechanical shutter- was it also made in assoc.
with Minolta?

No, that's the R3 only, as far as I know. (and CL series)

Also R4; see http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/.

Also, a few older zoomlenses are optically identical to corresponding
Minolta-lenses.

And one zoom was manufactured by Sigma for a number of years; now
it's made by Kyocera.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Old September 15th 04, 07:08 PM
Gordon Moat

Martin Francis wrote:

"Lourens Smak" wrote in message
The R6 (and 6.2) is a fully mechanical manual-exposure only camera,
which is why it is more expensive. (wanted because of the no-batteries
thing and it's extra durability, I suppose...) It is totally different
from the R4, R5 or R7 versions. When new an R6 was also more expensive.

Didn't realise the R6 had a mechanical shutter- was it also made in assoc.
with Minolta?

The shutter was made by Seiko, but there was no involvement in the project by
Minolta. There was an announcement a couple years ago concerning the R6, and
R6.2 by Leica. Seiko had decided to stop production of that shutter, so Leica
placed a final order. Leica anticipate that they have enough spare shutters
to repair any broken or worn shutters in all R6 and R6.2 cameras for at least
the next nine years. Of course, since some will get used much less than
others, that could mean more years than what they indicate.

While I like the R6 and R6.2, I don't know that you are getting much over
what a Contax manual body, or even a Nikon FM3A would give you. If you have
some Leica SLR lenses, then getting either particular body would be a good
choice.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com/gallery.html Updated!

Old September 15th 04, 10:17 PM
Magnus W

Lourens Smak wrote in
:

Didn't realise the R6 had a mechanical shutter- was it also made in
assoc. with Minolta?

No, that's the R3 only, as far as I know. (and CL series)

R3, R4, R5. Dunno about how later body designs relate to those though.