Wishing To Go DSLR

Old August 17th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

Default Wishing To Go DSLR

Hello

I have been thinking about going DSLR and would like a little help making up
my mind.
Right now I am using a Nikon Cool Pix 8400.
I only do indoor photography and don't mind working with a tri-pod.
$2,000 is what I can spend total on a new DSLR, Shoe Flash? and a New
Tri-pod.
I like wide angle but not curved pictures, Something user friendly.

any suggestions would be great.

Thank you

Jenny

Old August 17th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

Sorry if I do not know all the information to give. I did just think of
something from reading another post.
my pictures will be for use on PC, mostly for the furniture and the layout
and not people.

Thank you again.

Old August 17th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Aug 17, 1:23 pm, "Just Shoot Me" wrote:
Hello

I have been thinking about going DSLR and would like a little help making up
my mind.
Right now I am using a Nikon Cool Pix 8400.
I only do indoor photography and don't mind working with a tri-pod.
$2,000 is what I can spend total on a new DSLR, Shoe Flash? and a New
Tri-pod.
I like wide angle but not curved pictures, Something user friendly.

any suggestions would be great.

Thank you

Jenny

Wait 2 months for new models to come out. New ones will be better,
old ones will be cheaper.

Old August 17th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"RichA" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 17, 1:23 pm, "Just Shoot Me" wrote:
Hello

I have been thinking about going DSLR and would like a little help making
up
my mind.
Right now I am using a Nikon Cool Pix 8400.
I only do indoor photography and don't mind working with a tri-pod.
$2,000 is what I can spend total on a new DSLR, Shoe Flash? and a New
Tri-pod.
I like wide angle but not curved pictures, Something user friendly.

any suggestions would be great.

Thank you

Jenny

Wait 2 months for new models to come out. New ones will be better,
old ones will be cheaper.

a couple of weeks ago I would have replied with "wouldn't that always be the
case"
but just last night I was telling a friend that I would feel safer when
today's models become cheaper
than getting an older one now. I didn't think 2 months would be enough
time. One model that caught my eye is the Canon EOS-1D Mark II N. A friend
did recommend the Canon 20D. Because I travel a lot I would like one that
is pretty strong.
I guess I will hand around the digital groups for a while sharpening my
skills.
thank you

Jenny.

Old August 17th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pat

On Aug 17, 4:23 pm, "Just Shoot Me" wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

No, go take pictures to sharpen your skills.

Old August 17th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"Pat" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 17, 4:23 pm, "Just Shoot Me" wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

I just came back from taking 98 at one location.
This time while very rare I also took some outdoor shots of the backyard.
For me its a hobby but I am also trying to help out a friend that is in the
real estate business.
I get to (hopefully) learn something that I will enjoy and help a friend at
the same time.
Right now its a cool pix camera and that probably would make my questions
off topic.
I already deleted the really bad pics and now its time to see if I can make
the good ones even better in Photoshop.
Anyway I hope you guys can help me make a good choice in my first DSLR.

Jenny

Old August 18th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles[_2_]

They are all good (Nikon, Canon, etc.). Buy one and use the heck out of it!

Old August 18th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Aug 17, 4:23 pm, "Just Shoot Me" wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

$2G won't buy the 1DMkIII (or fix its focus problems!) the 20D is out
of date. You can get a 30D for about $800 and a decent zoom/flash with
the remainder.

Old August 18th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Just Shoot Me wrote:

I have been thinking about going DSLR and would like a little help making
up my mind.
Right now I am using a Nikon Cool Pix 8400.
I only do indoor photography and don't mind working with a tri-pod.
$2,000 is what I can spend total on a new DSLR, Shoe Flash? and a New
Tri-pod.
I like wide angle but not curved pictures, Something user friendly.

my pictures will be ...mostly for the furniture and the layout
and not people.

Jenny

OK so Architectural/interior design is the purpose. That means (as you
said) a low distortion wideangle lens. Most entry level DSLRs will come
with a kit lens at 17 or 18mm with somewhat bad distortion and if you
are surviving on a point & shoot, that's probably not quite as wide as
these and probably much more curved.

Architectural photographers (especially interior) generally find a super
wide lens useful (essential?), and they generally demand the lowest
possible distortion. Usually barrel distortion is the problem at the
wide end of a zoom, like a mild fisheye effect. That's a rather
difficult goal. The other thing serious architectural photogrphers use
is perspective control lenses, in medium or large format that's called
tilt/shift and shift allows you to keep all the verticals vertical (tilt
doesn't matter on a tripod). And to expressed the desire for something
easy to use and a budget that doesn't match the demanding requirements.

So my suggestion is to look into a post-processing solution which will
let you correct the distortion in an affordable super-wide or stitched
P&S images. That's not very simple but it would be workable even with a
P&S camera and panorama stitching.

Panorama stitching software is more hassle but better programs are not
too hard to use and they will completely remove the curves and make a
super-wide field of view with exceptional detail, even with a tiny old
P&S camera. You might want to get a panorama head for your tripod in
that case. It sounds bad but just shoot the whole room & crop later to
suit and you will be very satisfied. I don't know how big you want to
print, if for web use this is overkill. Look for a P&S camera that has a
panorama feature and it will come with easy software and simplify the
manual control settings necessary for this. Pretty easy.

Now, if you want to go DSLR and don't need huge prints, you would use a
program like DXO to correct the relatively minor distortion and look for
a lens that is sharp corner to corner and has well controlled flare.
Then buy the body which matches that. The other thing a DSLR will buy
you is dynamic range. Windows in daylight are much brighter than the
dark corners of a room so this is valuable.

The tripod doesn't matter for interiors with a wide angle, you just want
a cable release instead of an infrared remote. Mirror lockup matters if
you are doing larger prints and want lots of detail but that only comes
on the higher end models. Canon's entry level kit lens is barely
adequate, Nikon's newer models come with a not-so-great kit lens also,
the 18-70 that came with the D70 was good, then you could add a 10-20
Sigma. Put that on a used D50 which has decent dynamic range with DXO
for corrections and you are good to go. Canon makes a 10-20 and combined
with their kit lens is probably not bad. Bubble-level, maybe a flash and
diffuser for bounching off the ceiling, extra memory & software,
probably a little better tripod with a ball-head for convenience,
quick-release, and a remote shutter cable & you can use up $2,000 easily.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old August 18th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Hi Paul and thank you for the thoughtful post.

I have read your post and will have to read it section by section again to
fully understand.
a few things I wanted you to know while I do this.

The pictures will only be displayed on PC no prints at all.
I do have a problem sometimes with glare in the windows.
trying different settings I do get the windows right but its really from
just trying different settings.
I realized now in this DSLR world that my $2,000 wont buy much and I am kind
of getting a feeling that maybe
you think I might be better off with my Nikon8400 with a 24 - 85mm lens.
I get no fisheye with this lens and very happy although I can see where even
wider might come in handy
but if its going to take too much away from the camera or the pics 24 will
be fine. I also have a canon S1 IS
and can use that for taking regular pictures. I wonder how much I can get
for both my cameras.
I just finished editing my pictures and now my head is killing me.

Later I would like to get into taking pictures of nature, however those
$5,000 and up cameras
are a bit out of my reach for what I will allow myself.

You post was great, thank you

Jenny