Protest against Google Groups

Old January 17th 05, 06:40 AM
Roxy Durban

Default Protest against Google Groups

These people are ruining usenet by allowing all this anonymous bull**** to
continue unabated. Anyone can invoke slander on the groups simply by going
to Google groups, signing up and posting away. There appear to be no
consequences for abusers.

I have now set my newsreader to filter all messages with the word Google
in the message ID. I will also no longer use their search engine. I'll be
going back to using Altavista.com.

If you're sick of the apathy of Google, join me in this protest.
Old January 17th 05, 06:51 AM
James Douglas

Roxy Durban wrote:
These people are ruining usenet by allowing all this anonymous bull**** to
continue unabated. Anyone can invoke slander on the groups simply by going
to Google groups, signing up and posting away. There appear to be no
consequences for abusers.

I have now set my newsreader to filter all messages with the word Google
in the message ID. I will also no longer use their search engine. I'll be
going back to using Altavista.com.

If you're sick of the apathy of Google, join me in this protest.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird. Can you tell me please how to do that? I have
black banned Google myself. You know they wouldn't accept listings for
their searcher from my site. How are they going to provide an unbiased
service if 'who pays most' is at the head of the search?

JD
Old January 17th 05, 06:56 AM
Chris Birkett

"Roxy Durban" wrote in message
news
These people are ruining usenet by allowing all this anonymous bull**** to
continue unabated. Anyone can invoke slander on the groups simply by going
to Google groups, signing up and posting away. There appear to be no
consequences for abusers.

I have now set my newsreader to filter all messages with the word Google
in the message ID. I will also no longer use their search engine. I'll be
going back to using Altavista.com.

If you're sick of the apathy of Google, join me in this protest.

Well, have fun...

- Chris

Old January 17th 05, 09:00 AM
True211

"Roxy Durban" wrote in message
news
These people are ruining usenet by allowing all this anonymous bull**** to
continue unabated. Anyone can invoke slander on the groups simply by going
to Google groups, signing up and posting away. There appear to be no
consequences for abusers.

I have now set my newsreader to filter all messages with the word Google
in the message ID. I will also no longer use their search engine. I'll be
going back to using Altavista.com.

If you're sick of the apathy of Google, join me in this protest.

I am sympathetic to your situation, however, your stated form of protest
ALONE will have essentially no effect on Google.

Some things that you, as an ordinary person, CAN do to get Google's
attention ....

1- Start a UDP (Usenet Death Penalty) case against Google by posting a
formal complaint, with examples, to news.admin.net-abuse.policy (NANAP is a
moderated group, unlike the unmoderated NANAU which is an unmoderated troll
hangout) a group frequented by many of the most powerful news admins.
Several people has discussed a possible UDP against Google in the past at
NANAP, but the they did not pursue it. The thread, however, did demonstrate
substantial support for the UDP. Perhaps you could maintain a website,
stating the case for the UDP.

2- If you have the resources, sue Google.

Option number one is probably more viable, and much more realistic. I would
join that fight, and you would probably have no trouble finding other
supporters in the photo newsgroups. A UDP initiative would force Google to
either change their policy, or to lose their posting access to the net.

Old January 17th 05, 11:46 AM
VK

Of course, you could just a kill filter and stop responding to the
trolls.

There is no way in hell I'm going to post using my proper email address
- after 7 years of using a Unix account and posting to Usenet, I'd get
about 250 spams a day. Had to close that account b/c of that.

Vandit

Old January 17th 05, 12:17 PM
Roxy Durban

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:51:13 +1000, James Douglas wrote:

I use Mozilla Thunderbird. Can you tell me please how to do that? I have
black banned Google myself. You know they wouldn't accept listings for
their searcher from my site. How are they going to provide an unbiased
service if 'who pays most' is at the head of the search?

JD

Not sure how you would do that in Mozilla Thunderbird, but in PAN it is
relatively simple. I just create a custom filter on the Message ID
header, blocking all messages with the word "google".

There's only one way to deal with the apathy of massive conglomerates like
Google. Just don't use their services. I actually find Altavista to be a
much better search engine anyway.

--
Google is a proliferator of hate speech, slander
and other disgraceful texts. Google allows their
Old January 17th 05, 12:17 PM
Roxy Durban

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 04:00:24 -0500, True211 wrote:

[...]

Thanks sincerely for the input. Option one sounds good. I will download
some headers from that group later and if anyone wants to add their voice
to mine, please feel free to join in.

I would love to sue Google, but distance makes it difficult. If there are
any American attorneys keen on doing some pro bono work on my behalf, I
would donate any settlement to a notable cause.

Old January 17th 05, 05:39 PM
Bandicoot

"True211" wrote in message
"Roxy Durban" wrote in message
news
These people are ruining usenet by allowing all this anonymous bull****
to continue unabated. Anyone can invoke slander on the groups simply
by going to Google groups, signing up and posting away. There appear
to be no consequences for abusers.

[SNIP]
Option number one [campaigning via NANAP for a UDP against
Google] is probably more viable, and much more realistic. I would
join that fight, and you would probably have no trouble finding other
supporters in the photo newsgroups. A UDP initiative would force
Google to either change their policy, or to lose their posting access to

the
net.

I'd be another supporter of this approach.

Peter