zoom lens Nikkor vs. Sigma vs. Tamron??

Old June 17th 04, 07:58 AM
W Chan

Default zoom lens Nikkor vs. Sigma vs. Tamron??

hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
yrs.
i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

--
* * * To reply, please email to
This is a security measure to reduce spams and unsolicited junk mails.

Old June 17th 04, 09:41 AM
Richard Cockburn

"W Chan" wrote in news:aibAc.739462$Pk3.530185@pd7tw1no:

hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
yrs.
i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

It is generally best to use the lenses made by the manufacturer of your
camera, especially with newer bodies like yours. Third party lenses are
usually not quite as good, and there can be chip compatibility problems.
Stick with the Nikkor glass.

--
"Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

-Richard Cockburn
Old June 17th 04, 01:42 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article aibAc.739462$Pk3.530185@pd7tw1no, W Chan
wrote:

i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

By all means get the Nikkors if you can afford the focal lengths you
want. They're spectacular at their best, and even the "lemons" (old
43-86, for example) are usable.

That said, I've had a lot of good experience with Tamron, especially at
the long end. I love my current 200-400, and they're coming out with a
new 200-500 to replace it.

Sigma? I've never used one for long, and wasn't impressed during short
trials. They have a reputation for interface problems (especially the
Canon mount)
Old June 17th 04, 02:49 PM
Randall Ainsworth

wrote:

hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
yrs.
i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

If you waste your money on anything but Nikon lenses, you will be
disappointed, especially if you go with Sigma.
Old June 17th 04, 06:13 PM
Paul Howland

wrote:

hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
yrs.
i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

If you waste your money on anything but Nikon lenses, you will be
disappointed, especially if you go with Sigma.

Not true. There are some very good Sigma lenses in the collection - the
70-200/2.8 and 12-24 spring to mind. These offer an excellent
alternative to someone wanting something better than Nikkor's budget
offerings, but not able to afford/justify the premium VR lenses.
Certainly with both these Sigma lenses the majority of reviewers regard
the optical and build quality as excellent. The vast majority of Nikon
D70 owners would be delighted with these lenses. Nikon lenses are
great, but don't let brand loyalty blind you to other excellent
alternatives. This does not apply to all Sigma lenses - as always, do
your research - but there are some gems in the collection, perfect for
those looking for a mid-price lense (ie. around $1000 rather than $300
or $3000).

Paul

(D70 owner, with Nikkor 18-70, 50/1.8 and Sigma 70-200 HSM)
Old June 17th 04, 09:06 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"W Chan" writes:

hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
yrs.
i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

Don't buy the D-70 body only; the kit lens that's available only with
it is an excellent buy, and you'll want it.
Old June 17th 04, 09:23 PM
Doug Payne

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Don't buy the D-70 body only; the kit lens that's available only with
it is an excellent buy, and you'll want it.

"Only with it"??? If you're referring to the 18-70 f/3.5-4.5, it's available
all over the place, at least in the US and Canada. All by itself, no camera
attached. And yes, it's a good buy, whether or not you buy a D70.

Old June 17th 04, 11:01 PM
Skip M

"W Chan" wrote in message
hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
yrs.
i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

--
* * * To reply, please email to
This is a security measure to reduce spams and unsolicited junk mails.
Cheers.

You should take a look at Tokina, too. Possibly ahead of Sigma...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old June 18th 04, 02:52 AM
Bob

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 06:58:14 GMT, "W Chan" wrote:

hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
yrs.
i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

You should have got the original 'boxed' lens, it's quite good, and has a good
wide range considering the 1.5 crop factor. It can also focus quite close, about
1 foot I think.

I also use the Nikor 70-300 f4 cheap lens, it's not bad.

And I have the Sigma 28-300 f3.5 that I use as a general purpose snapshot lens,
it does a good job, but only focus at about 4 feet.

Old June 18th 04, 03:08 AM
Michael Scarpitti

"W Chan" wrote in message news:aibAc.739462$Pk3.530185@pd7tw1no...
hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
yrs.
i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
Hee

Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho
Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho
Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho
Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho
Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho

STOP! STOP! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE