Tutorial for creating custom Windows icons from screenshots using only Irfanview freeware

Old August 9th 20, 01:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Arlen Holder[_6_]

Default Tutorial for creating custom Windows icons from screenshots using only Irfanview freeware

UPDATE:

We all do essentially the same things on all operating systems (except on
iOS simply because you just can't), where I just now wrote up a nascent
tutorial for doing on Android what we habitually do on Windows - which is
organize the way we want our interface to be organized...

o Tutorial: How to easily change Android app shortcut icons & app names [sans root]
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/3bu27OTTdGY

In that tutorial, I walk the user through the change of app icons and app
names in three different ways, any one of which only takes seconds to do:
https://i.postimg.cc/X7T7DX9H/icon04.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/760FbPgP/icon03.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/284sC5C0/icon02.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/59PS5qWM/icon01.jpg
--
Every thread to Usenet archives should help someone now & in the future.
Old December 5th 20, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Arlen Holder

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 12:26:26 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

We all do essentially the same things on all operating systems (except on
iOS simply because you just can't), where I just now wrote up a nascent
tutorial for doing on Android what we habitually do on Windows - which is
organize the way we want our interface to be organized...

o Tutorial: How to easily change Android app shortcut icons & app names [sans root]
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/3bu27OTTdGY

In that tutorial, I walk the user through the change of app icons and app
names in three different ways, any one of which only takes seconds to do:
https://i.postimg.cc/X7T7DX9H/icon04.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/760FbPgP/icon03.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/284sC5C0/icon02.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/59PS5qWM/icon01.jpg

UPDATE:

If you're interested in seamless cross-platform icons on Windows & Android:

I just updated the tutorial showing how to use Windows icons on Android:
o Quick tutorial for creating Android homescreen shortcuts using custom icons
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/if4FD2NFEnk

I show how to instantly create shortcuts to web pages, files, folders, etc,
o Then I set custom icons from Windows & elsewhere for those shortcuts.

It's essentially exactly the same process on Android as it was on Windows!
o So all your knowledge % tools are instantly leveraged to both platforms.

It takes about two minutes from scratch, it's that easy cross platform:
1. Snap any screenshot on Windows & edit as desired at the desired size
2. Save as a square PNG with a transparent background, if desired
3. Copy over to Android & set any Android shortcut to your Windows icon

It's even quicker than two minutes if you download the Windows icons
1. Download any Windows icon from any repository you like, e.g., I used...
2. https://www.iconarchive.com/show/sleek-xp-software-icons-by-hopstarter/Windows-Turn-Off-icon.html
3. That Windows icon PNG became my Android "kill -9" shortcut icon.

If you use existing icons on Android, it takes about half a minute:
1. Extract any icon you want from any Android app on your device
2. Or obtain bajillions of customized icons in various icon packs
3. Then simply create a File/Folder/URL/Setting shortcut & set the icon

Here are screenshots for those who do the same things on all platforms.
o https://i.postimg.cc/KzrX0Kdw/shortcut01.jpg Custom shortcut icons
o https://i.postimg.cc/RFs4CPxv/shortcut02.jpg Creating URL shortcuts
o https://i.postimg.cc/J4WzDQKc/shortcut03.jpg Creating FOLDER shortcuts
o https://i.postimg.cc/MKmPDnKC/shortcut04.jpg Editing shortcut icons
o https://i.postimg.cc/13RWYy8f/shortcut05.jpg Choosing custom icons
o https://i.postimg.cc/N0SpMTpH/shortcut06.jpg Squaring the custom icon
o https://i.postimg.cc/DybJkMNF/shortcut07.jpg Finding icons to extract
o https://i.postimg.cc/fRn3wv4d/shortcut08.jpg Extracting icons to PNG
o https://i.postimg.cc/GhQcYjVV/shortcut09.jpg Net icon, before & after
o https://i.postimg.cc/43KZDRyR/shortcut10.jpg Copy net icon to Android
o https://i.postimg.cc/JzFCcYq6/shortcut11.jpg Select & edit custom icon
o https://i.postimg.cc/c4brT9qq/shortcut12.jpg Windows screenshot icon
o https://i.postimg.cc/50b0jDzz/shortcut13.jpg Windows icon on Android

See also:
o How to set a shortcut to any settings in System or in any application
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/_1oTdgCIpkc

o How to create a custom "kill -9" shortcut to kill background jobs
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/Did0Rd3mRmo

o Have you been successful creating symbolic links on your Android phone?
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/RrRbZytwwGM
--
I update threads so that they serve as a single-source quickref for others.