hyperfocal settings

Old June 24th 13, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default hyperfocal settings

On 2013.06.23 17:45 , peternew wrote:

I would not even consider using an in camera hyperfocal computation, for
the same reason I prefer manual focus for my macro shots.

The reason can hardly be the same. Lenses that provide usable
hyperfocal marks (and even aperture driven near/far indexes) are the
"computer" with the sole drawback of considering only one enlargement ratio.

--
"A Canadian is someone who knows how to have sex in a canoe."
-Pierre Berton
Old June 24th 13, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.06.23 20:44 , peternew wrote:
On 6/23/2013 5:53 PM, nospam wrote:

this is about a camera automatically picking a hyperfocal distance.

NO! it was about how to deal with the lack of hyperfocal distance
marking on lenses. And when and why automatic selection in the camera is
not reliable.

This splinter of the thread is about the notion of an in-camera
calculated hyperfocal range and autofocus to that point.

Old June 24th 13, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.06.24 10:03 , BobA wrote:
In article ,
peternew wrote:
[ ... ]

No. It's not a fixed distance. It's a range in whch there is apparent
focus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocal_distance

The first line of this article:

In optics and photography, hyperfocal distance is a *distance* beyond
which all objects can be brought into an "acceptable" focus

Read it all
QUOTE
Definition 1: The hyperfocal distance is the closest distance at which a
lens can be focused while keeping objects at infinity acceptably sharp.

When the lens is focused at this distance, all objects at distances from
half of the hyperfocal distance out to infinity will be acceptably sharp.
ENDQUOTE

So while objects from h to infinity are "acceptably" in focus so are
objects from h/2 to h (and of course out to infinity.

Old June 24th 13, 06:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.06.23 17:55 , peternew wrote:

Look at the closest distance for which you get an in focus image for
infinity. Then look and se where you are in focus at about 1/3 of that
distance at f/16. The area between that point and infinity will be your
hyperfocal distance.
I have never used an m4/3 lens, but assuming it is like a G ens, the
technique would be similar.

The above would work as long as you constrain your print size, I suppose.

Old June 24th 13, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
BobA[_2_]

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.06.24 10:03 , BobA wrote:
In article ,
peternew wrote:
[ ... ]
No. It's not a fixed distance. It's a range in whch there is apparent
focus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocal_distance

The first line of this article:

In optics and photography, hyperfocal distance is a *distance* beyond
which all objects can be brought into an "acceptable" focus

Read it all
QUOTE
Definition 1: The hyperfocal distance is the closest distance at which a
lens can be focused while keeping objects at infinity acceptably sharp.

When the lens is focused at this distance, all objects at distances from
half of the hyperfocal distance out to infinity will be acceptably sharp.
ENDQUOTE

So while objects from h to infinity are "acceptably" in focus so are
objects from h/2 to h (and of course out to infinity.

Seriously?

Reading the rest of the article doesn't change that the
hyperfocal distance is a distance. Of course it's not
just any distance. The distance must meet criteria.

You have to set the lens to a distance, h -- not a range.
The range h to infinity is the acceptable focus criteria.
The range h/2 to infinity is the acceptable focus property.

Either that, or I need to go back to early grammer school.

BobA
Old June 24th 13, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message

Dudley, PLEASE do use proper quoting levels!
You're writing as if you wrote the stuff I wrote.

Dudley Hanks wrote:
[snip]

There still is, it's called ADEP.

Only on some models, not the more advanced ones.

It just works a bit differently.

Instead of focusing on two points, separately, you just make sure what you
want falls within the center cluster of focusing points. Anything with a
point on it figures into the DOF calculation.

So you need to make sure all your focus points are on the
subject.

Thus, if the center point is on the horizon, one of the top points is on a
closer cluster of leaves, and a left and right point both cover items
somewher in beetween, the camera will do its best to render everything
from
the leaves to the people to the horizon in focus.

Not everyone shoots landscape.

I haven't used the mode myself, so I can't vouche for how well it works,
but, in theory, it could be used for a quick hyperfocal shot.

Not everyone shoots hyperfocal.

And DEP works for these people, too.

-Wolfgang

Sorry, Wolfgang.

I've recently switched from my old XP equipped computer to one with Windows
7. Subsequently, I no longer have access to Outlook Express. Instead, I am
using Windows Live Mail, a program that isn't all that accessable to my
screen reader.

I have yet to figure out how to set the quoting levels because I can't seem
to access all of the optional settings.

If I can't figure it out pretty soon, I may resort to my old Perl script I
wrote a few years back.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old June 24th 13, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_6_]

Dudley Hanks wrote:
[...]

Ah, yes, I found it, and it still works, inspite of a
different operating system...

Thank you, Peter Wall, Merlin, and the rest of the guys who
keep this nice little language available...

Gotta love Perl ...

Take Care,
Dudley
Old June 24th 13, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

BobA wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.06.24 10:03 , BobA wrote:
In article ,
peternew wrote:
[ ... ]
[...]

It's hard to determine from what they say if it is the
words or the concept of a hyperfocal distance, but
clearly Alan and Peter do not understand one or the
other; and whichever it is, neither Alan nor Peter are
making any sense at all!

For the benefit of both Alan and Peter:

1) "Hyperfocal distance" is a *single* distance, not a range.
2) "Hyperfocal distance" is not an area.
3) "Infinity/3" is still Infinity.

But as to Peter's curious method of determining hyperfocal distance:

"Look at the closest distance for which you get an in
focus image for infinity. Then look and se where you
are in focus at about 1/3 of that distance at
f/16. The area between that point and infinity will be
your hyperfocal distance.

The first step provides focus at the hyperfocal
distance, so what need is there for the rest of that
nonsense! Not to mention that those steps absolutely do
not provide any clue about the hyperfocal distance.
(I'm still wondering how that reference to f/16 has
significance!)

Here is a very simple chart showing the camera
location at C, the Focus distance at F, the nearest
point considered in focus at NF, and the far edge
of the Depth of Field at Inf.

The hyperfocal distance when those conditions are
met is the distance from C to F. When all else is
constant, the distance from C to F is greater for
larger apertures.

C NF F Inf
| | | |
|-----|---------|-----------/~~~/--|

| |-----------------------/~~~/--|
Depth of Field

|-----------------|
Hyperfocal Distance

Obviously Hyperfocal distance is a fixed distance, not a
range and cannot be considered an area.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old June 24th 13, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 24/06/2013 19:36, Dudley Hanks wrote:
[]
Sorry, Wolfgang.

I've recently switched from my old XP equipped computer to one with
Windows 7. Subsequently, I no longer have access to Outlook Express.
Instead, I am using Windows Live Mail, a program that isn't all that
accessable to my screen reader.

I have yet to figure out how to set the quoting levels because I can't
seem to access all of the optional settings.

If I can't figure it out pretty soon, I may resort to my old Perl script
I wrote a few years back.

Take Care,
Dudley

I was very disenchanted with Windows Live Mail for newsgroups, so I
switched to Thunderbird. However, I don't know how "accessible" it
would be for you.
--
Cheers,
David
Old June 24th 13, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.06.24 14:04 , BobA wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.06.24 10:03 , BobA wrote:
In article ,
peternew wrote:
[ ... ]
[...]

Of course. There is nothing contradictory in that.

Reading the rest of the article doesn't change that the
hyperfocal distance is a distance. Of course it's not
just any distance. The distance must meet criteria.

You have to set the lens to a distance, h -- not a range.

Nobody said different. Try reading before spouting.