Seeing Red

Old June 24th 13, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Default Seeing Red

A few days ago, I was playing around with the custom white balance feature
on my XSi, trying to come up with something that worked under streetlights
at night.

When I was done, I forgot to set the white balance back to auto from custom.

Then, I took a few pics of a local bridge yesterday, in the evening, and
still did not set the white balance back to auto, nor did I set another
custom balance for the prevailing light conditions.

Needless to say, viewing the pic with the white balance as shot yields a
rather strong colour cast. But, it was my understanding that this is an
easy fix in Adobe.

However, when I loaded the pic into Adobe's Camera RAW and tried to select a
more appropriate balance, like sunny or cloudy, the image ends up with a
rather crazy red cast.

Even manually moving the temperature and tint sliders around doesn't seem to
get rid of the problem, or so I've been told.

Just wondering if any of you gurus out there can determine whether this is a
camera problem, an Adobe problem, or just some kind of freak one-off
problem...

Here's the RAW image: http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/TestPic.cr2

Take Care,
Dudley

Old June 24th 13, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Dudley
Hanks wrote:

[...]

i opened it in camera raw, picked auto for a white balance and it looks
normal. there is no red cast, the grass is green and it looks quite
acceptable.

choosing the cloudy preset looks even better. adjusting it further can
make it a little better but at that point the difference is minor and a
matter of taste anyway.

that's the beauty of raw. you can white balance *after* you take the
photo. the white balance set in the camera does not matter.
Old June 24th 13, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-06-23 16:39:42 -0700, "Dudley Hanks" said:

A few days ago, I was playing around with the custom white balance
feature on my XSi, trying to come up with something that worked under
streetlights at night.

When I was done, I forgot to set the white balance back to auto from custom.

Then, I took a few pics of a local bridge yesterday, in the evening,
and still did not set the white balance back to auto, nor did I set
another custom balance for the prevailing light conditions.

However, you did shoot RAW didn't you?

Needless to say, viewing the pic with the white balance as shot yields
a rather strong colour cast. But, it was my understanding that this is
an easy fix in Adobe.

It is.

However, when I loaded the pic into Adobe's Camera RAW and tried to
select a more appropriate balance, like sunny or cloudy, the image ends
up with a rather crazy red cast.
Even manually moving the temperature and tint sliders around doesn't
seem to get rid of the problem, or so I've been told.

That is exactly what you should have done.
You had the temp set at 2000. Simply moving the temperature slider to
what would be normal for daylight, around 5500 makes the fix.

Just wondering if any of you gurus out there can determine whether this
is a camera problem, an Adobe problem, or just some kind of freak
one-off problem...

No problem at all.

Here's the RAW image: http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/TestPic.cr2

Take Care,
Dudley

....and here is the ACR fix.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...stPic-fix1.jpg

Savageduck

Old June 24th 13, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"nospam" wrote in message ...

In article , Dudley
Hanks wrote:

[...]

Argh, the joys of working with Adobe through the eyes of others...

As it turns out, somehow the clipping warning was turned on, and the "red
colour cast" was just Adobe's way of telling me where the clipping is.

Thanks for helping me straighten that out.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old June 24th 13, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Dudley
Hanks wrote:

As it turns out, somehow the clipping warning was turned on, and the "red
colour cast" was just Adobe's way of telling me where the clipping is.

and since your sky is clipped, there were large areas of pure red.
Old June 24th 13, 03:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"nospam" wrote in message ...

In article , Dudley
Hanks wrote:

As it turns out, somehow the clipping warning was turned on, and the "red
colour cast" was just Adobe's way of telling me where the clipping is.

and since your sky is clipped, there were large areas of pure red.

Yep, I learned more on this test than originally intended ...

Thanks for the help,
Dudley

Old June 24th 13, 02:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.06.23 19:39 , Dudley Hanks wrote:

However, when I loaded the pic into Adobe's Camera RAW and tried to
select a more appropriate balance, like sunny or cloudy, the image ends
up with a rather crazy red cast.

Comes out blue here (ACR/CS5) for "as shot"

The "Camera Raw Properties" shows the temperature when shot as 2100K.
But I suspect it may have been lower than that in camera. When shooting
with "warmlight" settings (tungsten film) in daylight, everything shifts
blue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ly75lgps71...2009.40.55.jpg
Or http://tinyurl.com/msvswzy

Regardless, because it is raw you can just set the colour temp to the
conditions (6000K or so) and get a photo that represents the actual
conditions.

--
"A Canadian is someone who knows how to have sex in a canoe."
-Pierre Berton