Bokeh (was: [SI] Weapons are available for viewing)

Old June 18th 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dennis Boone

Default Bokeh (was: [SI] Weapons are available for viewing)

Pulling this out of the weapons thread to give that thread a chance
to get back on topic. (There's a topic!? Who knew?)

Ignoring for the moment the pretentiousness or lack thereof of the
term bokeh, the validity of selective focus, whether "creamy" is an
adjective relevant to the subject, my lack of expertise in the matter,
and any number of other distractions:

From what I've been able to assimilate, the term refers not so much
to the level of out-of-focusness so much as how the unfocussed areas
are perceived. The latter seems to depend on things like the number
and shape of iris blades and whether the glass tends to produce ring
effects on unfocussed edges, as well as personal taste.

There's a substantial contingent that seems to find more blades, and
curved blades, and lack of ring effects, to produce more pleasurable
images.

Of course, since it's a perception thing, there's no good, bad, better
or "winning".

/me crawls back under his bridge.

De
Old June 19th 11, 05:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Dennis Boone wrote:
Pulling this out of the weapons thread to give that thread a chance
to get back on topic. (There's a topic!? Who knew?)

Ignoring for the moment the pretentiousness or lack thereof of the
term bokeh, the validity of selective focus, whether "creamy" is an
adjective relevant to the subject, my lack of expertise in the matter,
and any number of other distractions:

From what I've been able to assimilate, the term refers not so much
to the level of out-of-focusness so much as how the unfocussed areas
are perceived. The latter seems to depend on things like the number
and shape of iris blades and whether the glass tends to produce ring
effects on unfocussed edges, as well as personal taste.

There's a substantial contingent that seems to find more blades, and
curved blades, and lack of ring effects, to produce more pleasurable
images.

Of course, since it's a perception thing, there's no good, bad, better
or "winning".

Agreed, for example:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/photography...movies/pg5pc24

Old June 19th 11, 06:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
rwalker

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 12:55:26 -0500, (Dennis
Boone) wrote:

whether "creamy" is an
adjective relevant to the subject, my lack of expertise in the matter,
and any number of other distractions:

I have heard the word "creamy" used to describe bokeh, and it makes my
skin crawl.