Using Nikkon Lenses on Canon Bodies (and vica versa)

Old August 24th 07, 10:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Ortt

Default Using Nikkon Lenses on Canon Bodies (and vica versa)

Hi all,

After reading the post on the Canon 1D mkIII lots of people are talking
about using Nikkon lenses on the canon cameras.

While I have heard of this as a possibility I always thought that it left
you with manual focus and the cons outweighed the pros.

Can somebody clarify for me what you need to do it, which cameras it would
work with and how much it would cost please?

I am still using a lowly 300d but I have never considdered using Nikkon
lenses before and if it is a possibility my upgrade path may be revised....

Thanks,

John

Old August 24th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"John Ortt" wrote in message
Hi all,

After reading the post on the Canon 1D mkIII lots of people are talking
about using Nikkon lenses on the canon cameras.

While I have heard of this as a possibility I always thought that it left
you with manual focus and the cons outweighed the pros.

Can somebody clarify for me what you need to do it, which cameras it would
work with and how much it would cost please?

Yes, such adapters have been available for quite some time. For instance,
Canon sold adapters to connect various other
makes to their Canonflex R cameras, their Canon FL cameras, and their Canon
FD cameras. These adapters were
merely stop gap things. An adapter for the EOS mount is probably made by
somebody somewhere.

However, as you stated, you are left with manual focus and manual aperature
controls. Although I own Nikon gear, if
I did own Canon gear, I would never consider such an option.

As a result of the difference in back focus between the bodies of Canon and
other makes, it may or may not be possible to manufacture
and adapter which will maintain infinity focus.

Jim

Old August 24th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
Jim wrote:

Can somebody clarify for me what you need to do it, which cameras it
would work with and how much it would cost please?

Yes, such adapters have been available for quite some time. For
instance, Canon sold adapters to connect various other
makes to their Canonflex R cameras, their Canon FL cameras, and their
Canon FD cameras. These adapters were
merely stop gap things. An adapter for the EOS mount is probably
made by somebody somewhere.

Yep, Nikkor to EOS adapters are widely available and work extremely well.

However, as you stated, you are left with manual focus and manual
aperature controls. Although I own Nikon gear, if
I did own Canon gear, I would never consider such an option.

Never tried one I see? My Nikkors meter just fine with my Mk III as they
do
on the 5D.

As a result of the difference in back focus between the bodies of
Canon and other makes, it may or may not be possible to manufacture
and adapter which will maintain infinity focus.

UTTER NONSENSE! Haven't a Nikkor yet that had any focus problems and
every
one of them works fine for infinity focus.

And you won't because the back focus of Canon bodies is much less than the
back focus of Nikon bodies.
In fact, I never said that you would not be able to get infinity focus from
mounting a Nikon lens on a Canon body.
This entire post was intended to show why such a thing is possible, but the
reverse is not. If my intentions were
not clear, just blame it on the weather.

What I do not know (and don't much care) is whether other manufacturer's
lenses can be mounted on a Canon body.

I must admit that not one time during my 20 year's use of a Canon FT-QL did
I ever consider mounting a Nikon lens on it.
That was during the time that Canon made excellent adapters.
Jim

Rita

Old August 25th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
King Sardon

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:35:45 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

What I do not know (and don't much care) is whether other manufacturer's
lenses can be mounted on a Canon body.

Pentax SMC Takumars work fine on the Canons... all in manual, of
course.

KS
Old August 26th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Jim Townsend wrote:
I've been an EOS user since 1994 and have *no* experience with Nikkor
lenses :-) I know that the aperture of EOS lenses can only be
changed electronically by the camera. There is no way of doing it
manually. I was assuming the same was true for Nikkors.

Depends on the type. Only G-type lenses don't have an aperture ring any
longer and therefore need a compatible camera to change the aperture
electronically from the camera.
For all others you can set the aperture manually using the ring on the lens.

jue