Versatile DSLR

Old August 19th 07, 06:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

Default Versatile DSLR

CoffeeTalk wrote:
[]
And a pity that there's not one lens that fits all needs. In turn
it's a praise for P&S cameras where their long-zoom lenses with
fairly wide apertures are at least approaching what an advanced
photographer needs for almost every shot.

The 18-200mm Nikon or third party 18-250mm lenses must some close.

David

Old August 19th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 05:54:55 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

CoffeeTalk wrote:
[]
And a pity that there's not one lens that fits all needs. In turn
it's a praise for P&S cameras where their long-zoom lenses with
fairly wide apertures are at least approaching what an advanced
photographer needs for almost every shot.

The 18-200mm Nikon or third party 18-250mm lenses must some close.

Let's see if it remains as reasonable once the coffee kicks in, if
you know what I mean . . .

Old August 19th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Alan Clifford wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007, RichA wrote:

R On Aug 18, 2:26 pm, wrote:
R DSLR may be completely different from others. I do not want to buy a
R DSLR for the sake that it has the flexibility for having
R interchangeble lenses, but because it has a larger sensor.
R Go buy a Nikon D80 and their 18-200mm lens. It's all you should ever
R need.

I thought about this combination to replace my Nikon 8800 which I bought
because of its relatively large, but still smallish, sensor.

What I miss is a manual focus ring on the lens and a
bar/fresnel/ground glass focusing screen in the viewfinder. Does the
D80/18-200 combination have anything like that?

No DSLR has a focusing aid that I know of (3rd party screens excepted)
but the D80 has a uniquely large, bright viewfinder.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old August 19th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Rebecca Ore wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

I think you'd need a whole lot more that $3,000 to do medium format digital.

I've seen some used backs for about that on eBay.

OK, I really don't know. Maybe a scanning back?

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old August 19th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
Rebecca Ore

In article ,
Paul Furman wrote:

Rebecca Ore wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

I think you'd need a whole lot more that $3,000 to do medium format digital.

I've seen some used backs for about that on eBay.

OK, I really don't know. Maybe a scanning back?

There's a Leaf Valeo 6 MP up for under $1500 from Shutterbug now. One
16 MP back is $5K and another for $3550. All prices Buy It Now. They
don't look like scanning backs and mention sensor conditions. With a
under $8K Mamiya back out there, the smaller used backs will be coming
down in price.
Old August 19th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
King Sardon

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 20:44:28 GMT, CoffeeTalk
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 20:06:40 GMT, Matt Ion wrote:

That's the thing with SLRs,
is that the range of what's available is so wide and varied.

And a pity that there's not one lens that fits all needs. In turn it's a praise
for P&S cameras where their long-zoom lenses with fairly wide apertures are at
least approaching what an advanced photographer needs for almost every shot.

Right, except for sensor size, and the OP specifically stated they
require a large sensor.

KS
Old August 20th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On Aug 18, 2:26 pm, wrote:
I am sure that this type of question have been raised thousands of
time, but I just want to get some more opinions from the readers.
I am thinking about a DSLR (finally). However, my requirements for a
DSLR may be completely different from others. I do not want to buy a
DSLR for the sake that it has the flexibility for having
interchangeble lenses, but because it has a larger sensor.
Another criteria is economics... i.e. I do not want to spend money for
a professional (read - expensive) type DSLR which costs a lot of
money. If I can afford to spend over $3000, I may as well looking for
a digital back for my M645 or RB67 (any suggestion for a cheap one, if
available?). Top of my budget will be a D80 or 30D range. Is the
entry level DSLR (Is XT/Xti or D40/D40x any good?)
I am open to suggestion on info related to non-popular DSLR. What zoom
lens that comes as standard package with the camera, which will allow
me the most possible range without changing lenses?
I am aware that some readers will immediately comment or ask about the
kind of photos that I am planning to take. All kinds... whatever the
camera is capable. I usually buy the camera first, and utilize its
limits or capability accordingly... without getting sucked into buying
more accessories....ie. once I buy it, I have to live with it, and no
plan for getting another set of lenses, accesories, etc.
Thanks for your input.

I'd go for a Nikon D80, D200 is better, or a Pentax K10, the Canon
viewfinders aren't up to those cameras. Some DSLR viewfiders are porro
mirror, and unmagnified, so they are like looking trough a dim tunnel,
Canon 30D is a little better than this. With film SLRs you had the
cheapest cameras being the most manual, with DSLRs this is reversed,
cheaper cameras take away or make manual operation more difficult.
This is by haveing more controls in the menus rather than by on camera
controls. Lenses are similar the consumer lenses are more difficult to
manual focus. The Nikon D200 and the Pentax K10 both can use older
lenses, though you say you aren't interested, a nice feature to have.
I would suggest getting 2 lenses, an f2.8 17-50 Tamron, Nikon if you
want to spend the $, and a 70-300, Nikon has a nice VR lens in this
range. With any of the 10mp cameras they will give your Mamiya 645 a
run for its money with a good lens. Saw a 6mp blow away a 645 in a 50
person group shot several years a go.

Tom

Old September 5th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
SMS

wrote:
I am sure that this type of question have been raised thousands of
time, but I just want to get some more opinions from the readers.
I am thinking about a DSLR (finally). However, my requirements for a
DSLR may be completely different from others. I do not want to buy a
DSLR for the sake that it has the flexibility for having
interchangeble lenses, but because it has a larger sensor.
Another criteria is economics... i.e. I do not want to spend money for
a professional (read - expensive) type DSLR which costs a lot of
money. If I can afford to spend over $3000, I may as well looking for
a digital back for my M645 or RB67 (any suggestion for a cheap one, if
available?). Top of my budget will be a D80 or 30D range. Is the
entry level DSLR (Is XT/Xti or D40/D40x any good?)

The Xti is fine, but avoid the D40/D40x. The D80 or 40D are better
choices. Two reasons to avoid the D40 are the limited lens compatibility
and the limited accessory collection.

I am open to suggestion on info related to non-popular DSLR. What zoom
lens that comes as standard package with the camera, which will allow
me the most possible range without changing lenses?

So image quality is secondary is what you're saying? The wide range
lenses are always compromises.

For price, get the Xti or D80 with the Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle
18-200mm f/3.5-6.3D DC Aspherical (IF) Lens (for Canon or Nikon as the
case may be).
Old September 5th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

In rec.photo.digital SMS wrote:

The Xti is fine, but avoid the D40/D40x. The D80 or 40D are better
choices. Two reasons to avoid the D40 are the limited lens compatibility
and the limited accessory collection.

The only issue with the D40 is that it doesn't have an in-camera motor to
drive the lens auto-focus. So, any lens that requires it will not get
autofocus, but it could still be used manually. Considering the OP likely
doesn't even own a lens this is not a drawback at all.

I am open to suggestion on info related to non-popular DSLR. What zoom
lens that comes as standard package with the camera, which will allow
me the most possible range without changing lenses?

OP should look for a kit setup, like Costco sells ... or consider a 18-200 or
18-300 lens from a third party lens (the Nikon 18-200 is the best of the
bunch, but it isn't all that cheap ... ~$700).

So image quality is secondary is what you're saying? The wide range
lenses are always compromises.

I don't think he is saying that. He is comparing to a smaller sensor camera,
probably with built-in lens. He will likely do much better even with the kit
lens on a DSLR. Remember that price increases exponentially over quality when
it comes to lenses ... so a lot more money buys you a little more quality.

For price, get the Xti or D80 with the Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle
18-200mm f/3.5-6.3D DC Aspherical (IF) Lens (for Canon or Nikon as the
case may be).

I don't hesitate to recommend the Nikon D40x as an option. Go for it. Go to
a camera store and hold the camera and play with it. See if it feels right to
you. The Canon Rebels are all too small for my hands, as is the Nikon D40.
However, the D80 is getting closer [still smaller than my D70, which I found
to be nearly of perfect size for me].

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from the
machinations of the wicked.