How can I improve my shots?

Old June 11th 08, 08:55 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter[_7_]

Default How can I improve my shots?

"RoushStudios" wrote in message
On Jun 10, 8:03 pm, Neil Hunt wrote:
http://www.neilhunt.com/home1.php

All help welcome. I know my shots are crap how do I improve?
I want to be good but my Mom likes them.

I find it interesting that so many comments here are simple "bashing"
by folks that have no work to display / no profile / and seemingly no
credentials to be judging others peoples work. To me, that's very
lame.
Neil - you photographs are nice. They demonstrate a good feeling of
composition and design. I do think you've over done the satuation in
some - this is a common problem often where we try to create more
impact and interest by manipulating the image too much. My opinion is
that you did that... now if that is your goal, and your desire, then
go with it. Also, make the photographs bigger on the screen - people
looking at your site should know immediately what the site is about.
Size can create impact.

Excuse me if I drift the thread a bit.

My question is intended to be applied solely from a standpoint of
intellectual honesty:

If I show an image and you advise me that I might have a stronger image if I
make some changes such as toning some glaring highlights; darken the corners
a bit; change exposure, color temperature; etc. it remains my image.

OTOH if we go on a field trip together and you basically tell me where to
plant my tripod legs, what exposure to use, etc and all I do is snap the
shutter, it seems to me that image is really yours, not mine.

Point intended to start a discussion of contest submissions.

--
Peter

Old June 11th 08, 10:19 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

Peter wrote:
[...]

[...]
No.

I'm a little confused: what did Mr RoushStudios have to say? What is a
studio's voice like?

Mr Neil Hunt,

If you ask for help and call your photos "crap", you are either
dissembling or disingenuous.

In the latter case, if you have an inkling there is something wrong
with your pictures, you must have some kind of reference that will be
a clue, and an idea of what you can do to improve them. Go ahead. Do
it.

In the former, I'd say this episode is a wanky troll and semi-spam in
the interest of increasing traffic to your (very nice) site and add to
the viewership of your (very nice) photographs, which - since you want
to sell prints - are of an appropriate size, my view.

Thank you for your attention.

--
Frank ess
"Drift the thread"?

Old June 11th 08, 11:54 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

RoushStudios wrote:
wrote:
[...]

-- Calvin- Hide quoted text -

It's like any other voice. I'm sorry you don't care for my nick.
If it was a ploy to drive traffic to his site then so be it. It
doesn't change or alter his work.

Contest Sumissions? Go ahead, start your discussion.
Jeff

Don't be sorry. I didn't not like it.

Hm. So, where does Peter come into it?

--
Frank ess

Old June 13th 08, 12:03 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter[_7_]

wrote:
[...]

Perhaps I can answer that for myself.
1. I have no connection with Rousch, or any other studio.
2. For some reason my newsreader did not supply proper quotes and I was not
going to put in a large number of quotes.
3. I found this site a few months ago and think most of the folks here are
here for the same reason as I, to talk about and try to improve our
photography, while sharing information. As I do with others, you may accept
or reject anything I post. If I provide incorrect information, correct me.
but please don't snip to change my clear meaning.

--
Peter

Old June 13th 08, 03:40 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

Peter wrote:

wrote:
[...]

The thing of it is, Peter,
1. I didn't snip.
B. I would just like to know which of all the verbiages in this bunch,
iii. quoted verbatim by my newsreader,
d. were your words.

--
H. Frank ess

Old June 13th 08, 06:41 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter[_7_]

"Frank ess" wrote in message

Peter wrote:

wrote:
[...]

OK:
Only everything below this was my response to Jeff, intended to start some
discussion:
As you can tell, somehow not all of this appeared:

Old June 13th 08, 04:38 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

Peter wrote:
"Frank ess" wrote in message

Peter wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Peter. Now it's making sense.

--
Frank ess