Looking for advice on first SLR purchase.

Old July 29th 04, 09:19 PM
Jeremy

Default Looking for advice on first SLR purchase.

"Loic Henry-Greard" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

My digital P&S died on me a while ago (Sony, won't see anymore of my
business for a while) and we've been using my wife's old film P&S
instead for the last couple of vacations and special events (including
my first child's first weeks). The results were horrible beyond
description,

What model camera was it?
What didn't it do?
Was it a bad camera, or did you misunderstand how to use the automation?
Might you prefer a fully manual camera, so you could set everything just the
way YOU wanted?

Although I have 5 automated cameras, I've found them to be frustrating in
that I am always trying to get around the automation. I still get the most
gratification from my old manual SLRs. Might that be your problem, too?

Old July 29th 04, 10:34 PM
Sabineellen

What model camera was it?
What didn't it do?
Was it a bad camera, or did you misunderstand how to use the automation?
Might you prefer a fully manual camera, so you could set everything just the
way YOU wanted?

I'm wondering if the stylus epic/mju-ii would be just good enough in this case.

Old July 29th 04, 10:58 PM
Tony Spadaro

I would recommend going with the Ti over the K2. IT is a complete camera
that will allow you to grow as a photographer. Your lens choices are
excellent. Here is an article on picking cameras:
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/equip/mmselect.html

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Loic Henry-Greard" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

My digital P&S died on me a while ago (Sony, won't see anymore of my
business for a while) and we've been using my wife's old film P&S
instead for the last couple of vacations and special events (including
my first child's first weeks). The results were horrible beyond
description, and seeing all these rolls and development costs wasted,
as well as these badly recorded memories for us, I've grown a little
bit frustrated and have decided to invest into a better class of
photography altogether.

I don't have any fondness for film vs digital, but I figure that if I
want to take significantly better pictures than I did with our former
P&S without spending $1K or more the best way was to go with 35mm
SLRs. I'm not an experienced photographer either but I know much of
the theory of it and I'm the type who likes to read manuals. I'll be
happy to experiment outside of program AEs for my own epicurian
satisfaction.

Here's what I was thinking about:
- canon Rebel K2 or Ti
- canon 28-105 f/3.5-something USM
- canon 50 f/1.8

Does it make any sense ? Is it worth it having the 50mm prime in
addition to the zoom ? Should I get the K2 or the Ti ? Should I go
with something else than Canon ?

Thanks for any advice,

L.