nikon d200 vs d70 and photoshop vs nikon capture

Old June 22nd 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default nikon d200 vs d70 and photoshop vs nikon capture

I currently use the Nikon D70 and have generally found when working in
RAW that printing from nikon capture produces better results than from
photoshop in the absense of exposure or color correction work. I was
recently told by a photo retailer that this would not be an issue with
the D200 as the RAW conversion in the D200 now takes place in the
camera as opposed to the external software product. Is this true?
Aside from the obvious hardware benefits offered by the D200 vs the
D70, this alleged issue between the camera and photoshop re Nikon raw
being resolved in the D200 would be very compelling. I would
appreciate any clarification on this issue. Thanks.

Old June 22nd 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Larry" wrote in message
ups.com...
I currently use the Nikon D70 and have generally found when working in
RAW that printing from nikon capture produces better results than from
photoshop in the absense of exposure or color correction work. I was
recently told by a photo retailer that this would not be an issue with
the D200 as the RAW conversion in the D200 now takes place in the
camera as opposed to the external software product. Is this true?
Aside from the obvious hardware benefits offered by the D200 vs the
D70, this alleged issue between the camera and photoshop re Nikon raw
being resolved in the D200 would be very compelling. I would
appreciate any clarification on this issue. Thanks.

I believe that your dealer is either very confused or wishes very much to
sell you a D200. The only "RAW conversion" that takes place in a D200 (or a
D70) is if you tell the camera to save as a JPG. I have both the D200 and
the D70 (and Capture and Photoshop CS2) and the D200 is considerably better,
but not for the reason your dealer told you...I'd buy from a dealer that is
either more knowledgeable or more honest.

Old June 22nd 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Larry" wrote in message
ups.com...
I currently use the Nikon D70 and have generally found when working in
RAW that printing from nikon capture produces better results than from
photoshop in the absense of exposure or color correction work. I was
recently told by a photo retailer that this would not be an issue with
the D200 as the RAW conversion in the D200 now takes place in the
camera as opposed to the external software product. Is this true?
Aside from the obvious hardware benefits offered by the D200 vs the
D70, this alleged issue between the camera and photoshop re Nikon raw
being resolved in the D200 would be very compelling. I would
appreciate any clarification on this issue. Thanks.

You might consider downloading the manual and get the real facts.

Old June 22nd 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Larry" writes:

I currently use the Nikon D70 and have generally found when working in
RAW that printing from nikon capture produces better results than from
photoshop in the absense of exposure or color correction work. I was
recently told by a photo retailer that this would not be an issue with
the D200 as the RAW conversion in the D200 now takes place in the
camera as opposed to the external software product. Is this true?
Aside from the obvious hardware benefits offered by the D200 vs the
D70, this alleged issue between the camera and photoshop re Nikon raw
being resolved in the D200 would be very compelling. I would
appreciate any clarification on this issue. Thanks.

Every digital camera (except the Sigma DSLRs?) can do the raw
conversion in the camera -- that's what shooting in jpeg mode does.

The D200, I can tell you from my own experience, has a normal RAW
mode, where the RAW file is put on the card and you do the conversion
externally. That's the whole *point* of RAW mode -- you get more
control, at the cost of more effort. It also supports shooting in
jpeg mode.

Sounds like the camera store guy is confused, or you misunderstood
him. Many camera store guys *are* confused, in my experience.
RKBA: http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old June 22nd 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

george wrote:
I have both the D200 and
the D70 (and Capture and Photoshop CS2) and the D200 is considerably better,

George,

Before I splurge on CS2, I gather from your comment that the problem
(?encryption?) of Photoshop reading some Nikon NEF files has been
resolved between these two companies?

Tien

Old June 22nd 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

wrote in message
ps.com...

george wrote:
I have both the D200 and
the D70 (and Capture and Photoshop CS2) and the D200 is considerably
better,

George,

Before I splurge on CS2, I gather from your comment that the problem
(?encryption?) of Photoshop reading some Nikon NEF files has been
resolved between these two companies?

Tien

At least for the time being, there is no problem with PhotoShop CS2 and D70
and D200 RAW files.

Old June 23rd 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Every digital camera (except the Sigma DSLRs?) can do the raw
conversion in the camera -- that's what shooting in jpeg mode does.

TIFF would be a raw conversion as well. You can shoot TIFF with the Nikon D2X
and D2Xs. There are benefits to adjusting exposure BEFORE you do the raw
conversion and this is one good reason to develop a decent RAW workflow and to
shoot your images in RAW.

The D200, I can tell you from my own experience, has a normal RAW
mode, where the RAW file is put on the card and you do the conversion
externally. That's the whole *point* of RAW mode -- you get more
control, at the cost of more effort. It also supports shooting in
jpeg mode.

A note; JPEG is an 8-bit color depth format and RAW in the D200 is a 12-bit
color depth format, which is the difference between 256 and 4096 graduations
of color for each channel (red, green and blue). Thus, we are talking an
enormous amount of extra leeway in dealing with color, which means you can
manipulate and correct your images more than you can with JPEG without
significant damage to the image.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old June 24th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

wrote in message
ps.com...

george wrote:
I have both the D200 and
the D70 (and Capture and Photoshop CS2) and the D200 is considerably
better,

George,

Before I splurge on CS2, I gather from your comment that the problem
(?encryption?) of Photoshop reading some Nikon NEF files has been
resolved between these two companies?

Tien

RAW conversion is not a reason to buy CS2. I have PhaseOne for that, and
it's great. I thought RAW was a joke when I was only using Photoshop.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com