Time to *FIX* the charter for rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Old November 16th 04, 10:23 AM
CharterFix

Default Time to *FIX* the charter for rec.photo.equipment.35mm

The time has come to fix the charter for this newsgroup. Newsgroup
participants should be actively involved in governing the groups they
participate in. The best way to do this is to keep charters up to
date, and in touch with the current needs of the community.

WHAT WE NEED TO DO:

One- Come together as a community to rewrite a modern charter for this
newsgroup. Many things need to be spelled out, such as official
positions on various types of advertising and auction pointers. The
shoot-in is another controversial issue that needs to be settled.

Two- Petition the leaders of news.newgroups.announce to incorporate a
fast-track charter amendment process into the RFD-CFV system. They
currently do not accept proposals to amend charters, and we need to
pressure them to change that. Other network news hierarchies do have
active systems to keep charters up to date, and the BIG EIGHT should
join the 21st century too. To have any teeth, updated charters need to
be sent out as a control message by the NAN leaders, this way the
charter is archived by ISC. FAQs written by group participants are
usually done by a single person or small group, do not reflect the
will of the majority, and have no teeth whatsoever.

Send your petitions to-

Russ Allbery
Todd McComb
Brian Edmonds

These three men have the power to change the system. Let them hear
your voices, lest our group may fall prey to the least common
denominator.
Old November 16th 04, 01:12 PM
Malcolm Stewart

"CharterFix" wrote in message
m...
The time has come to fix the charter for this newsgroup. Newsgroup
participants should be actively involved in governing the groups they
participate in. The best way to do this is to keep charters up to
date, and in touch with the current needs of the community.

WHAT WE NEED TO DO:

OK; but in all my years of surfing newsgroups I've very rarely seen any
charters, just occasionally when someone publishes one for information or
revision(?) - certainly not in any coordinated fashion. I use Outlook
Express - could that be a problem?

What value is a charter if the group isn't moderated? My experience is that
the self appointed (?) "charter police" cause just as much waste of server
storage as the original perceived miscreant.

--
M Stewart sometime X-700, EOS3, EOS10 user
Milton Keynes, UK

Old November 16th 04, 02:21 PM
Annika1980

From: (CharterFix)

The time has come to fix the charter for this newsgroup.

Go the **** away!

Old November 16th 04, 02:21 PM
Annika1980

From: (CharterFix)

Old November 16th 04, 02:39 PM
Bandicoot

"CharterFix" wrote in message
m...
[SNIP]
These three men have the power to change the system. Let them hear
your voices, lest our group may fall prey to the least common
denominator.

Ummm - that'd be you Steve, right?

Peter

Old November 16th 04, 08:06 PM