Purchase Advice

Old October 15th 04, 02:16 AM
Pete K.

Default Purchase Advice

If you have the $$ and don't mind spending it, by all means get the DSLR.
Better optics, wide lens selection, etc. But your friends are also right.
The DSLR will not make you a better photographer. Many a great picture has
been taken with an inexpensive camera. Plus, the Elf gives you the added
advantage of always having it with you. Try lugging the DSLR, everywhere,
in your pants pocket.

So I guess, it's all about what is more important to you. I have no need
for a DSLR.

"HArry" wrote in message
ervers.com...
I have been using a Canon Elf and an Olympus Camedia D540 for the past
souple of years, but I am not very satisfed with them. I have been

looking
for a replacement, and I don't know if I need to move to the new,

expensive
SLR digitals from Canon and Nikon, or if there is something else out there
that will meet my needs.

I am looking for a camera that can recharge quickly, (for action shots),

has
a descent macro capability (I like photographing flowers, etc.), has

enough
resolution so that I can crop our unwanted parts (mistakes) and still have

good detail image, can take pictures in fairly low light conditions,
auto-focuses fairly fast, and has a descent zoom.

A couple of people I have talked to, tell me either (a) get a D70, which

is
fine but I feel that it may be an overkill, plus the learning curve may be
steep, or (b) get a descent film camera and a good scanner, which I am not
keen on, because I lose the the instant gratification of the digital, or

(c)
they tell me that a number of cameras in the $500 range would meet my

needs
and pictures are 90% technique/composition and 10% equipment, but can't
recommend any of the *many* $500 cameras.

Any help, advice, info would be greatly appreciated.

Harry