For the Duck and anyone else

Old June 10th 16, 06:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default For the Duck and anyone else

On 2016-06-10 04:57:16 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Shot these three this evening. Not normally my type of thing, but the
link is to the RAW files. Untouched by me.

Are you sure about that? Those look like LR adjusted DNGs to me not
unmolested NEF's. That said it was simple enough to reset and start
again. ;-)

If you want to play around with them, and do drastic things to the
sky, go for it.

Maybe not drastic, but a different interpretation.

The scene is Lake Monroe in Sanford FL and the pilings are where the
docks used to be when people came down the St John's River from
Jacksonville to Sanford by boat.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kamujyxh0...8TH1VseMa?dl=0

....and here is what I did with the first one.
https://db.tt/FEJxOX2i

Savageduck

Old June 10th 16, 06:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 22:42:10 -0700, Savageduck

On 2016-06-10 04:57:16 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Shot these three this evening. Not normally my type of thing, but the
link is to the RAW files. Untouched by me.

Are you sure about that? Those look like LR adjusted DNGs to me not
unmolested NEF's. That said it was simple enough to reset and start
again. ;-)

If you want to play around with them, and do drastic things to the
sky, go for it.

Maybe not drastic, but a different interpretation.

The scene is Lake Monroe in Sanford FL and the pilings are where the
docks used to be when people came down the St John's River from
Jacksonville to Sanford by boat.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kamujyxh0...8TH1VseMa?dl=0

...and here is what I did with the first one.
https://db.tt/FEJxOX2i

Why are the sky and the water different colors? It's like that even
after a reset. It confuses me.
Old June 10th 16, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-10 04:57:16 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Shot these three this evening. Not normally my type of thing, but the
link is to the RAW files. Untouched by me.

Are you sure about that? Those look like LR adjusted DNGs to me not
unmolested NEF's. That said it was simple enough to reset and start
again. ;-)

If you want to play around with them, and do drastic things to the
sky, go for it.

Maybe not drastic, but a different interpretation.

The scene is Lake Monroe in Sanford FL and the pilings are where the
docks used to be when people came down the St John's River from
Jacksonville to Sanford by boat.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kamujyxh0...8TH1VseMa?dl=0

...and here is what I did with the first one.
https://db.tt/FEJxOX2i

....and two diferent versions of the third one:
https://db.tt/hJiMm7jX
https://db.tt/Harvte7k

Savageduck

Old June 10th 16, 07:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-10 04:57:16 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Shot these three this evening. Not normally my type of thing, but the
link is to the RAW files. Untouched by me.

Are you sure about that? Those look like LR adjusted DNGs to me not
unmolested NEF's. That said it was simple enough to reset and start
again. ;-)

If you want to play around with them, and do drastic things to the
sky, go for it.

Maybe not drastic, but a different interpretation.

The scene is Lake Monroe in Sanford FL and the pilings are where the
docks used to be when people came down the St John's River from
Jacksonville to Sanford by boat.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kamujyxh0...8TH1VseMa?dl=0

...and here is what I did with the first one.
https://db.tt/FEJxOX2i

Why are the sky and the water different colors? It's like that even
after a reset. It confuses me.

The water is reflecting more than the open sky, there are cloud. Also,
the water is not a perfect mirror due to any waves, ripples, etc. and
the position of the Sun is also playing a part.

Savageduck

Old June 10th 16, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-10 04:57:16 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Shot these three this evening. Not normally my type of thing, but the
link is to the RAW files. Untouched by me.

Are you sure about that? Those look like LR adjusted DNGs to me not
unmolested NEF's. That said it was simple enough to reset and start
again. ;-)

Nope. I uploaded them to LR with no presets and didn't do anything in
Develop except set the lens profile to the lens I used. All images
are automatically converted from NEF to DNG in the import dialog, but
if that adjusts, then I'm not aware that it does.

All three DNG's have Basic Panel, and sharpening settings made as if
they were applied at import. The lens profile has not been applied. You
might want to check your import settings.
Here is what was delivered:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_151.jpg

If you want to play around with them, and do drastic things to the
sky, go for it.

Maybe not drastic, but a different interpretation.

The scene is Lake Monroe in Sanford FL and the pilings are where the
docks used to be when people came down the St John's River from
Jacksonville to Sanford by boat.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kamujyxh0...8TH1VseMa?dl=0

...and here is what I did with the first one.
https://db.tt/FEJxOX2i

I like the processing, but I'd be inclined to crop almost to the right
piling so the pole with the bird on it is not centered. This is a
case where the sky could be made a bit more threatening with good
effect.

In looking at it, I wish I would have shot from an angle so the three
pilings do not touch the far line of trees. I'd consider chopping off
the top of those pilings to get separation. (This isn't
photojournalism.)

Savageduck

Old June 10th 16, 07:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-10 06:25:19 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 23:03:36 -0700, Savageduck

On 2016-06-10 04:57:16 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Shot these three this evening. Not normally my type of thing, but the
link is to the RAW files. Untouched by me.

Are you sure about that? Those look like LR adjusted DNGs to me not
unmolested NEF's. That said it was simple enough to reset and start
again. ;-)

If you want to play around with them, and do drastic things to the
sky, go for it.

Maybe not drastic, but a different interpretation.

The scene is Lake Monroe in Sanford FL and the pilings are where the
docks used to be when people came down the St John's River from
Jacksonville to Sanford by boat.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kamujyxh0...8TH1VseMa?dl=0

...and here is what I did with the first one.
https://db.tt/FEJxOX2i

...and two diferent versions of the third one:
https://db.tt/hJiMm7jX
https://db.tt/Harvte7k

The water is more attractive in the bluer version, but Lake Monroe's
water color is closer to the other color.

I stopped and fired off these shots rather quickly. In looking at
them as processed photos, I see the need to take more photos of a
scene like this from different angles.

Shooting the same scene again, I'd move to an angle where the piling
with the plant on top is not blocking the more distant piling group.
Just a few feet to the left or right might separate them.

Also, I'd try a shot from a lower position to get that piling group so
it doesn't touch the far shore that way.

I keep telling myself, when I'm out with my camera, to shoot wider
than I think I need to, and shoot more frames from different angles
than I think I need to. But, I don't always remember to do so.

Memory is cheap, shoot more.
That looks like a good location to make some interesting vista shots.

Anyway, thanks for letting us play, and trying to keep this floundering
photography group on an even keel.

Savageduck

Old June 10th 16, 07:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-10 04:57:16 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Shot these three this evening. Not normally my type of thing, but the
link is to the RAW files. Untouched by me.

Are you sure about that? Those look like LR adjusted DNGs to me not
unmolested NEF's. That said it was simple enough to reset and start
again. ;-)

Nope. I uploaded them to LR with no presets and didn't do anything in
Develop except set the lens profile to the lens I used. All images
are automatically converted from NEF to DNG in the import dialog, but
if that adjusts, then I'm not aware that it does.

All three DNG's have Basic Panel, and sharpening settings made as if
they were applied at import. The lens profile has not been applied. You
might want to check your import settings.
Here is what was delivered:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_151.jpg

One mystery solved, another created.

Looking at the import dialog, I had a "Sports" setting in "Apply
during import" that I haven't used since baseball season. I forgot to
remove that. Good thing you caught it because it's bringing in other
photographs with that preset.

However, I do show the images are corrected to the lens profile for
the Tamron 18/270 that was using. All images in that batch (there
were more than these three) are corrected as I thought.

Just do a batch reset.

Savageduck

Old June 10th 16, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 2016-06-10 05:42:10 +0000, Savageduck

On 2016-06-10 04:57:16 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Shot these three this evening. Not normally my type of thing, but the
link is to the RAW files. Untouched by me.

Are you sure about that? Those look like LR adjusted DNGs to me not
unmolested NEF's. That said it was simple enough to reset and start
again. ;-)

If you want to play around with them, and do drastic things to the
sky, go for it.

Maybe not drastic, but a different interpretation.

The scene is Lake Monroe in Sanford FL and the pilings are where the
docks used to be when people came down the St John's River from
Jacksonville to Sanford by boat.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kamujyxh0...8TH1VseMa?dl=0

...and here is what I did with the first one.
https://db.tt/FEJxOX2i

...and two diferent versions of the third one:
https://db.tt/hJiMm7jX
https://db.tt/Harvte7k

I like the second (...edit-2) better- the first is too blue. I prefer
the warmer colors. And the warmer color of the clouds makes them stand
out more from the sky, giving some depth.

There are four items out in the water near the center. IMHO, three of
them need to be gone. I think the green topped buoy can stay.

--
Ken Hart

Old June 10th 16, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-10 04:57:16 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Shot these three this evening. Not normally my type of thing, but the
link is to the RAW files. Untouched by me.

Are you sure about that? Those look like LR adjusted DNGs to me not
unmolested NEF's. That said it was simple enough to reset and start
again. ;-)

If you want to play around with them, and do drastic things to the
sky, go for it.

Maybe not drastic, but a different interpretation.

The scene is Lake Monroe in Sanford FL and the pilings are where the
docks used to be when people came down the St John's River from
Jacksonville to Sanford by boat.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kamujyxh0...8TH1VseMa?dl=0

...and here is what I did with the first one.
https://db.tt/FEJxOX2i

...and two diferent versions of the third one:
https://db.tt/hJiMm7jX
https://db.tt/Harvte7k

Here is more contrasty version of the first shot:
https://db.tt/o0Fd8Nth

....and two versions of the second:
https://db.tt/6jISc81C
https://db.tt/b5vGGnaW