Nik may disable Photoshop

Old November 3rd 13, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

Default Nik may disable Photoshop

There have been reports where Photoshop suddenly stops working, where
Nik software has been installed. It appears to happen only to people who
have purchased Nik before the Google acquisition, and have auto update
turned on. According to the report, an update was sent. If you have this
issue, the fix is to download the trial version from the Nik website and
use your serial number.

--
PeterN
Old November 3rd 13, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-11-03 15:44:23 +0000, PeterN said:

There have been reports where Photoshop suddenly stops working, where
Nik software has been installed. It appears to happen only to people
who have purchased Nik before the Google acquisition, and have auto
update turned on. According to the report, an update was sent. If you
have this issue, the fix is to download the trial version from the Nik
website and use your serial number.

There have been some NIK vs Google conflicts with various
installations. When I ran CS5 I saw both the old NIK palette with the
older NIK versions and the latest pre-Google versions. One palette
labeled "NIK" the other "Google".

After I bought the CS6 upgrade which was post-Google NIK acquistion, I
was only able to install the Google-NIK versions, but still had the
pre-Google apps available as stand alone.

Now that I have upgraded my OS to the the new OSX 10.9 on this Mac, I
no longer have access to the earlier plug-ins and CS5 appears broken
until the conflict is resolved.

With CS6 I have had no NIK-Google issues.
Only the Google-NIK versions are available via LR5.

On my laptop, a MBP running the older OSX, I can still access pre &
post Google NIK plug-ins with CS5, but not CS6.

Savageduck

Old November 3rd 13, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

On 11/3/2013 11:58 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2013-11-03 15:44:23 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Try the suggested fix. That way you should have access to all of the
plugins you purchased, and CS6 will run them.

Although I can't prove it, Google may have sent these "updates" to weed
out pirated copies.

--
PeterN
Old November 3rd 13, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-11-03 15:44:23 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

I am not experiencing any real problems with CS6 under either version
of OSX. It just seems that Google is killing off prior Pre-Google
versions. I got a free update with the transition.

Back with the change of management 18+ months ago, the Google version
installed over the pre-Google version in CS5 and did not show any issue
until the latest OSX update. Now the plug-in conflict exists.
....but easily fixed.

Savageduck

Old November 3rd 13, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-11-03 15:44:23 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Now the pre-Google versions will only open as stand-alone. The pre &
post Google stand-alone are in separate folders.

Savageduck

Old November 3rd 13, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

On 2013-11-03 15:44:23 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Yup! But, do the old ones do anything that the new ones don't do?

--
PeterN
Old November 3rd 13, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

On 2013-11-03 17:47:50 +0000, Savageduck

On 2013-11-03 15:44:23 +0000, PeterN
said:

[...]

I only have the plugins. I checked after your post and there is no
reference to Google on my pallet. It only says "Nik collection." I only
have CS6 installed.

--
PeterN
Old November 3rd 13, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-11-03 15:44:23 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Not really. HDR Efex Pro had a somewhat different look and had
different presets, but for the most part I have abandoned the old
versions & moved on.

The pre-Google versions of the current editions, HDR Efex Pro2, Viveza
2, Color Efex 4, Silver Efex 2, etc. have not changed post Google, just
the addition of "Google" to the NIK palette, nothing functional.

Savageduck

Old November 3rd 13, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-11-03 17:47:50 +0000, Savageduck

On 2013-11-03 15:44:23 +0000, PeterN
said:

[...]

Here is where it says "Google" on my CS6 NIK Palette.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_352.jpg

Strange! I can run each as a stand-alone pretty much the same way I can
run OnOne stuff as a stand-alone.

....and just for giggles here is the stand-alone version of the
ColorEfex Pro 4 window, to be used if you want to by-pass LR, PS, etc.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_353.jpg

Savageduck

Old November 3rd 13, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2013.11.03, 11:58 , Savageduck wrote:

Now that I have upgraded my OS to the the new OSX 10.9 on this Mac, I no
longer have access to the earlier plug-ins and CS5 appears broken until
the conflict is resolved.

CS5 is not broken - just those plugins - correct?

(eg: I have no issues at all with CS5).

--
"Quotation, n: The act of repeating erroneously the words of another."
-Ambrose Bierce