Ping: RichA

Old May 21st 13, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

Default Ping: RichA

For your entertaiment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_F0RTaFhgcA#!
Old May 21st 13, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 21 May 2013 12:57:37 -0400, Bowser wrote:

For your entertaiment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_F0RTaFhgcA#!

I remember being told about 1990 "If you drop them, Minoltas shatter,
Nikons bounce".

My Nikon D300 has had a couple of rather horrible drop experiences but
doesn't seem to be any the worse for it.

Eric Stevens
Old May 22nd 13, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.05.21 18:59 , Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 12:57:37 -0400, Bowser wrote:

For your entertaiment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_F0RTaFhgcA#!

I remember being told about 1990 "If you drop them, Minoltas shatter,
Nikons bounce".

Depends on the Minolta and the Nikon in question. Fond recollections of
a braggart and his Nikon until I asked him if I could hit it with my
Maxxum 9. He paled.

--
"A Canadian is someone who knows how to have sex in a canoe."
-Pierre Berton
Old May 22nd 13, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Tue, 21 May 2013 12:57:37 -0400, Bowser wrote:

For your entertaiment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_F0RTaFhgcA#!

You can't come to a conclusion with 1 test drop... that is just stupid!

I once was running thru my house and grabbed my Nikon D60 off a chair on the way
by, but the strap caught and pulled the camera out of my hand and also released
the snag, and I ended up "bowling" it about 10 feet down my cement basement
floor!

Absolutely no damage to the camera, just to my heart!

I also did a similar trick to my Minolta F9 film camera years ago, no damage
then either.

Old May 22nd 13, 12:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On Tue, 21 May 2013 22:26:21 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 21 May 2013 12:57:37 -0400, Bowser wrote:

For your entertaiment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_F0RTaFhgcA#!

You can't come to a conclusion with 1 test drop... that is just stupid!

Nonsense. It's on the internet, it has to be true.

Old May 22nd 13, 01:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 5/22/2013 1:53 AM, RichA wrote:
On May 21, 10:47 pm, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 22:26:21 -0400, wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 12:57:37 -0400, Bowser wrote:

For your entertaiment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_F0RTaFhgcA#!

You can't come to a conclusion with 1 test drop... that is just stupid!

I once was running thru my house and grabbed my Nikon D60 off a chair on the way
by, but the strap caught and pulled the camera out of my hand and also released
the snag, and I ended up "bowling" it about 10 feet down my cement basement
floor!

Absolutely no damage to the camera, just to my heart!

The D40, and several other Nikons, have plastic flanges on the lens
where it locks into the body. That's the most likely point of damage.
If it doesn't hit at the end of the lens and cause torque at the join
point, there might not be any damage.

I also did a similar trick to my Minolta F9 film camera years ago, no damage
then either.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

If the the lenses had metal bayonets, then it's likely screws would
have been ripped from the lens, or the camera body's bayonet, unless
the screws went into a metal chassis.

I dropped my 70-200, which is a solid lens. No glass broke, but it was a
$450 repair at Nikon.

--
PeterN
Old May 22nd 13, 01:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 5/22/2013 7:58 AM, Bowser wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 22:26:21 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 21 May 2013 12:57:37 -0400, Bowser wrote:

For your entertaiment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_F0RTaFhgcA#!

You can't come to a conclusion with 1 test drop... that is just stupid!

Nonsense. It's on the internet, it has to be true.

I once was running thru my house and grabbed my Nikon D60 off a chair on the way
by, but the strap caught and pulled the camera out of my hand and also released
the snag, and I ended up "bowling" it about 10 feet down my cement basement
floor!

Absolutely no damage to the camera, just to my heart!

I also did a similar trick to my Minolta F9 film camera years ago, no damage
then either.

That wasa very clever ad.

--
PeterN
Old May 23rd 13, 01:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:32:24 -0700, RichA wrote:

On May 22, 8:40Â*am, PeterN wrote:
On 5/22/2013 1:53 AM, RichA wrote:

On May 21, 10:47 pm, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 22:26:21 -0400, wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 12:57:37 -0400, Bowser wrote:

For your entertaiment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_F0RTaFhgcA#!

You can't come to a conclusion with 1 test drop... that is just
stupid!

I once was running thru my house and grabbed my Nikon D60 off a
chair on the way by, but the strap caught and pulled the camera out
of my hand and also released the snag, and I ended up "bowling" it
about 10 feet down my cement basement floor!

Absolutely no damage to the camera, just to my heart!

The D40, and several other Nikons, have plastic flanges on the lens
where it locks into the body. Â*That's the most likely point of
damage.
If it doesn't hit at the end of the lens and cause torque at the
join point, there might not be any damage.

I also did a similar trick to my Minolta F9 film camera years ago,
no damage then either.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

If the the lenses had metal bayonets, then it's likely screws would
have been ripped from the lens, or the camera body's bayonet, unless
the screws went into a metal chassis.

I dropped my 70-200, which is a solid lens. No glass broke, but it was
a $450 repair at Nikon.

--
PeterN

Because it's so heavy, it's like a 400lb man jumping off a building.
Guess what happens when he hits the pavement?
Either that, or Nikon just charged a lot.

Just think about what has to be done.

Strip the lens down and inspect, clean and repair the parts. Then
reassemble the lens on an optical bench resetting each component as
assembled. Final check to guarantee the work.

All this by very expensive craftsmen using expensive tools and knowledge.

--
Neil
Reverse ‘a’ and ‘r’
Old May 23rd 13, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

PeterN wrote:

I dropped my 70-200, which is a solid lens. No glass broke, but it was a
$450 repair at Nikon.

Well, with Nikon you're only allowed to drop wide-angle lenses,
for dropping tele lenses you need to buy Canon. :-

-Wolfgang
Old May 23rd 13, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On May 22, 8:40 am, PeterN wrote:
On 5/22/2013 1:53 AM, RichA wrote:

snip

[...]

I was happy to pay the price. Rich stated that plastic parts in lenses
are easily damaged. My only reason for posting was to show that well
built professional lenses can be easily damaged, too. Did I say the
whole thing was my fault for being careless.

--
PeterN