Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

Old November 1st 13, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 00:25:14 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

microsoft word and microsoft excel existed on the mac *before* they did
on windows and when microsoft finally came out with the windows
versions, you could transfer between platforms.

But it didn't start on the Mac.

the gui version definitely did.

But that's not what you said, is it? Now you want to shift ground.

word was originally a dos app. it was not a gui app although it had
some gui elements. i used to use word on dos. it was a very different
app that what came out on mac or windows. it just had the same name.

a lot of apps were dos apps, then rewritten using a gui for the mac,
later moving to windows.

the windows gui version of word came out well after the mac version
did, just like i said. your link says 1989, which is 5 *years* after
the mac came out and about 4 years after word for mac did.

excel was also only on a mac until the windows version came out.

there was multiplan for mac before excel but it wasn't all that great.
lotus jazz was a piece of ****.

i think it was a byte magazine article that said excel for mac was so
good that you should buy a mac *just* to run excel.

Yep - off and running, talking about something else entirely.

No wonder attempted discussions with you end up in a mess.

Eric Stevens
Old November 1st 13, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 1 Nov 2013 15:38:32 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Scott Schuckert wrote:

I think misunderstanding is the case. As the manager of the service
division of an Apple-authorized computer store, I see a difference
between parts being available from the manufacturer of the product
(and forbidden otherwise) and the possibility you can get them -
unofficially - through other channels. You may not.

I have not talked about getting parts "unofficially". All my links have
been to Apple resellers, official with Apple original parts and end-user
sales relations.

It's akin to saying a Rolex watch is available anywhere, for $500 - when
the channel you cite is a guy with an overcoat.

It is exactly *nothing* like that. It's exactly like saying that a Rolex is
available from anywhere, for OEM pricing at the official Rolex reseller
store in town.

None of the prices I listed where cheap.
None came from the "grey market" as you call it
All were for new parts
All were for Apple original parts.
All were to licensed Apple resellers.

Doesn't really matter, more fussing over verbal minutiae. The point was,
the increasing integration of system components means REGARDLESS of parts
source, there will be shortly be no minor, and therefore affordable,
repairs.

This is true to some degree. It isn't true for 3+ year old computers today,
and we won't know until in three years, really.

Break a trackpad on an Apple laptop - they're made of glass -
and you'll have to replace the keyboard, top case, and battery, too.

What Apple laptop? The trackpad for the Macbook Pro 13" 2012 Retina costs
$90 and you can get one he

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/...kpad/IF123-020

But see: Condition: Used, fully tested
Warranty: 6 month warranty

It's not a new one.

The 15" has a full enclosure top and works as you described. BUt, as you
can see, not all laptops work the same. They may some day, you.

If you don't have a warranty to cover it, you probably won't do it.
Clear?

Replacing the broken trackpad in your example costs $700, quite pricey, but
still cheaper than a new Macbook Pro 15" Retina.

(sigh)

Wtf?

Eric Stevens
Old November 1st 13, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-11-01 22:55:19 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

The Wi-Fi only iPad only has a digital compass on board, no GPS
circuitry & and no cell assisted GPS. Adding a GPS app is not going to
help in anyway.

apps don't 'use the gps'. they request location at a certain accuracy.

wifi ipads and ipod touches can provide street level accuracy without a
gps if they're near a wifi network.

....and that is not exactly the best way to deal with things Nav.

what they can't do is provide that while driving because there won't be
wifi enroute, but not all apps that use location data are for driving.

No kidding!! However, when we are specifically talking of navigation &
GPS, that location data is expected to be reasonably accurate, not
regional.

Savageduck

Old November 1st 13, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

But you were the one who dragged Lenovo batteries out into the public.

peter mentioned a bogus runtime and i pointed it out. that's all

if you include additional batteries, macs could get well over 17 hours
of runtime 25 years ago.

True, but did they ever provide a spare battery as a standard part of
the kit? Were the batteries hot-swappable?

sleep, swap battery, wake.

no need to shut down and then reboot and no work is lost.

the entire process takes a few seconds, as long as it takes to pop one
out and pop in the other. sleep/wake is instant.

it's not like you're going to be doing anything while swapping the
battery anyway and i would be *very* surprised if the lenovo didn't go
into some sort of sleep state when the battery is removed.

and the second battery is not a standard part. it's an optional extra,
and at an additional cost, with additional weight and bulk.

having 15 hour run time with one battery is much better than this
supposed 17 hour with two batteries.

it would be like saying a laptop comes with 5 terabytes* of application
storage.

[*] including a 100 disc pack of dual-layer bluray discs.

True, and it would be true if they included the Bluray discs.

nonsense. nobody would consider a laptop to have 5tb of storage even if
it did come with a cakebox of discs.
Old November 1st 13, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

microsoft word and microsoft excel existed on the mac *before* they did
on windows and when microsoft finally came out with the windows
versions, you could transfer between platforms.

But it didn't start on the Mac.

the gui version definitely did.

But that's not what you said, is it? Now you want to shift ground.

it's *exactly* what i said.

here it is again:
microsoft word and microsoft excel existed on the mac *before* they did
on windows and when microsoft finally came out with the windows

that is 100% true. the windows version of word came out ~4 years after
the mac version did, exactly like i said it did.

i never mentioned the dos version.

excel was also only on a mac until the windows version came out.

there was multiplan for mac before excel but it wasn't all that great.
lotus jazz was a piece of ****.

i think it was a byte magazine article that said excel for mac was so
good that you should buy a mac *just* to run excel.

Yep - off and running, talking about something else entirely.

wrong again. i mentioned excel in the original statement.

No wonder attempted discussions with you end up in a mess.

only because you don't understand english.
Old November 1st 13, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Thanks. I have a decision to make.

get the cellular/gps version.

you don't have to activate the cellular (unless you want to), and you
have all of the benefits of the gps in case you might want to use it.

the cellular is pay as you go and there's no requirement to use it.
activate whenever you need it, deactivate it when you don't. t-mobile
even offers free service.

worst case, the gps version has a higher resale value when it comes
time to sell it.
Old November 1st 13, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

The Wi-Fi only iPad only has a digital compass on board, no GPS
circuitry & and no cell assisted GPS. Adding a GPS app is not going to
help in anyway.

apps don't 'use the gps'. they request location at a certain accuracy.

wifi ipads and ipod touches can provide street level accuracy without a
gps if they're near a wifi network.

...and that is not exactly the best way to deal with things Nav.

what they can't do is provide that while driving because there won't be
wifi enroute, but not all apps that use location data are for driving.

No kidding!! However, when we are specifically talking of navigation &
GPS, that location data is expected to be reasonably accurate, not
regional.

a 'gps app' is not necessarily navigation.
Old November 1st 13, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

and when it comes time to replace the car, you sell it.

Well, you could repurpose it into a tree house for the kids.

can't say i've ever seen a car repurposed into a tree house.

But tires are repurposed into swings in trees.

they are, but i was talking about the car.

here it is again:
and when it comes time to replace the car, you sell it.

Well, you could repurpose it into a tree house for the kids.

maybe you should write more clearly. and learn to read too.
Old November 1st 13, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 07:22:09 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

The biggest problem I have with paper maps is that that the territory
keeps changing. It's a problem with electronic maps also but the
better ones tend not to lag so far behind the event.

if the map data is server based, like google's, it's updated
continually.

The local Upper Harbour Motorway was completed several years ago and
is still shown in an early stage of earthworks in both Google Earth
and Google Maps.

if you find an error, report it and it gets fixed, usually
fairly quickly, often just days.

if the map is part of an app, you have to wait for a periodic update,
which typically happens every few months or so, maybe longer. sometimes
it's a full update in a new app and another purchase.

points of interest and other data also get updated too.

paper map updates could be anything. often they were yearly but not
always, and they do not have points of interest other than major ones,
like the empire state building or niagara falls.

they sure as hell aren't going to list the nearest pizza place or where
to buy gas or how to get there or traffic or anything else you get with
electronic maps.

Eric Stevens
Old November 1st 13, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-11-01 21:04:21 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

I haven't used it for a while but the last time I tried it my
iPad map
needed an internet connection.

the gps has *never* needed an internet connection to function.

individual apps may or may not, depending on the app.

Much depends on the version of iPad used.

In the case of Wi-Fi only iPads (in the past at least, I am not
sure of
the full spec for the new iPad Air) there was no dedicated GPS
circuitry. That was only found in the Wi-Fi+Cell models. On some Wi-fi
only iPads there is the possibility that the shoddier nav apps won't
function at all.

wifi ipads do not have gps, so they would be a bad choice to use for
navigation.

I believe I just wrote something along those lines.

someone who plans to use an ipad for navigation is going to use one
with a gps in it.

Ya think!!

a wifi-only ipad can still be used for maps, however, if the user is
near wifi. it won't work very well while in motion, but it could be of
some benefit when they stop somewhere. not an ideal choice, but not
totally unusable.

Not wildly practical.

Then even with some Wi-Fi+Cell iPads the Nav apps are not all pure GPS
and require the addition of cell triangulation to get the job done.

this is false.

cellular and wifi are used to assist in getting a gps fix but neither
is required.

Not all Nav apps are created equal. Some are outstanding and some are
crap.

without either, the gps will take a little longer to obtain an initial
fix. if it's within cellular coverage and/or wifi is available, the
initial fix is very quick. a data plan is not required for cellular to
provide an initial fix nor does the user have to associate to the wifi
network.

...and we are back to the issue of an ignorant user trying to navigate
with a Wi-Fi only iPad.

For that a data plan is usually required, then Wi-Fi only iPads are
excluded from that club unless some other form of tethering is used
(IPhone-to-iPad via Wi-Fi for example).

wifi only ipads don't have a gps so they can only use wifi to determine
location. that is fine if you are near wifi (and one which has been
mapped) but not so useful while you are in motion.

No kidding!

in some cases you can cache map data before departing but you have to
be sure you remain within the area you downloaded. not ideal, but it
might be ok sometimes.

MapsWithMe, TopoMaps, & Galileo work very well for pre loaded off-line
maps.

there are also bluetooth gps devices which can be used with a wifi
ipad, no data plan required.

A PIA. I would rather use my iPhone, or Wi-Fi tether IPad to iPhone.
...or since I actually have a Wi-Fi+Cell iPad, just buy a block of short
term data.

Am I correct in assuming that neither the iPhone or iPad use
satellites for navigation, but rely on cell towers for location,
unless there is a GPS app installed?

Both the iPhone and iPad Wi-Fi+Cell have full GPS circuitry, and locate
with cell assisted GPS & GLONASS (we have something to thank the
Russians for). So they have the best of both worlds.

The Wi-Fi only iPad only has a digital compass on board, no GPS
circuitry & and no cell assisted GPS. Adding a GPS app is not going to
help in anyway.

Thanks. I have a decision to make.

I have an iPad 2 with Wi-Fi+Cell. I usually go online via my home network.
Away from home I have three options; find a hotspot/hotel-motel Wi-Fi,
tether via my iPhone and use my phone's Verizon data plan, or buy a
block of data service (I have not needed to do that as my iPhone data
plan gives me plenty of wiggle room, but it is an option I prefer to
have).

Savageduck