Lens Suggestion for Italy Trip

Old September 4th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steven Wandy

Default Lens Suggestion for Italy Trip

My wife and I are going on a tour of Italy for two weeks !!!
I have the Olympus E330 with these lenses: 11-22, 14-54, 18-180,
40-150 and the 1.4TC. Our last long vacation was the Canadian Rockies
and the 11-22 was the most useful. I realize that most of the places
we will be visiting are urban areas - not large vista like the
Rockies. I would like to limit myself to only one or two lenses. Any
suggestions from people who have been there?
Thanks,
Steve
Old September 4th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor

Steven Wandy wrote:
My wife and I are going on a tour of Italy for two weeks !!!
I have the Olympus E330 with these lenses: 11-22, 14-54, 18-180,
40-150 and the 1.4TC. Our last long vacation was the Canadian Rockies
and the 11-22 was the most useful. I realize that most of the places
we will be visiting are urban areas - not large vista like the
Rockies. I would like to limit myself to only one or two lenses. Any
suggestions from people who have been there?
Thanks,
Steve

Any particular part of Italy? Mountains, towns, coast, islands; churches,
a motor-racing circuit for the GP this weekend?

What sort of pictures do you like to take?

David

Old September 4th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sally

Steven Wandy wrote in
:
My wife and I are going on a tour of Italy for two weeks !!!
I have the Olympus E330 with these lenses: 11-22, 14-54, 18-180,
40-150 and the 1.4TC. Our last long vacation was the Canadian Rockies
and the 11-22 was the most useful. I realize that most of the places
we will be visiting are urban areas - not large vista like the
Rockies. I would like to limit myself to only one or two lenses. Any
suggestions from people who have been there?

If you plan on visiting churches and the like, a fast wide angle lens would
be very useful. You don't want too much of a fisheye effect, though.
Old September 4th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Ortt

18 - 180!!!

wow!

With this lens do you need any others?!

As with all things I suppose there is a tradeoff.

Old September 4th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steven Wandy

Steven Wandy wrote:
My wife and I are going on a tour of Italy for two weeks !!!
I have the Olympus E330 with these lenses: 11-22, 14-54, 18-180,
40-150 and the 1.4TC. Our last long vacation was the Canadian Rockies
and the 11-22 was the most useful. I realize that most of the places
we will be visiting are urban areas - not large vista like the
Rockies. I would like to limit myself to only one or two lenses. Any
suggestions from people who have been there?
Thanks,
Steve

Any particular part of Italy? Mountains, towns, coast, islands; churches,
a motor-racing circuit for the GP this weekend?

What sort of pictures do you like to take?

David

It is a bus tour (Tauck). Mostly staying in the larger cities, but
will make a lot of stops in the countryside - including the coast near
Sorento. (Unfortunately not the GP - we will miss it.)
Interested more in scenic than candid people shots, though will not
pass up interesting ones.
Old September 4th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steven Wandy

Steven Wandy wrote in
:
My wife and I are going on a tour of Italy for two weeks !!!
I have the Olympus E330 with these lenses: 11-22, 14-54, 18-180,
40-150 and the 1.4TC. Our last long vacation was the Canadian Rockies
and the 11-22 was the most useful. I realize that most of the places
we will be visiting are urban areas - not large vista like the
Rockies. I would like to limit myself to only one or two lenses. Any
suggestions from people who have been there?

If you plan on visiting churches and the like, a fast wide angle lens would
be very useful. You don't want too much of a fisheye effect, though.

The 11-22 and 14-54 are both 2.8-3.5 zooms, but there is a lot of
overlap betwen the two ranges. The 18-180 is slower (3.5-6.3) but is
very compact.
Old September 4th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor

Steven Wandy wrote:
[]
It is a bus tour (Tauck). Mostly staying in the larger cities, but
will make a lot of stops in the countryside - including the coast near
Sorento. (Unfortunately not the GP - we will miss it.)
Interested more in scenic than candid people shots, though will not
pass up interesting ones.

If you are on a bus tour, time for photography will be limited compared to
going round on your own, so time for lens changing will be limited as
well. Could you manage with just the 18 - 180? If you need one more for
wide-angles inside churches etc. the 11 - 22 seems to be the obvious
choice.

You could get a second body to avoid the lens changing of course! And
perhaps that second body might be a non-SLR - a more compact camera for
those very quick grab shots and for the evenings when you don't want to
take the full DSLR outfit. You could even make some short movies with a
small camera, which can capture the essence of some events as well as a
still photo. BTW: you can get /some/ good shots through the coach
windows - be prepared for a lower percentage of keepers, though.

David

Old September 4th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

Steven Wandy wrote:
My wife and I are going on a tour of Italy for two weeks !!!
I have the Olympus E330 with these lenses: 11-22, 14-54, 18-180,
40-150 and the 1.4TC. Our last long vacation was the Canadian Rockies
and the 11-22 was the most useful. I realize that most of the places
we will be visiting are urban areas - not large vista like the
Rockies. I would like to limit myself to only one or two lenses. Any
suggestions from people who have been there?
Thanks,
Steve

I would keep the 11-22 on the body and have one of the two long lenses
handy.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old September 7th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon

In article , John Ortt says...
18 - 180!!!

wow!

With this lens do you need any others?!

As with all things I suppose there is a tradeoff.

Exactly. Aside from tradeoffs due to the huge 10x range (although the
18-180 gets surprisingly good results), there is the issue that this
lens starts only at 18mm, which corresponds to 36mm in 35mm equivalence.
Not too wide for architectural photography.
--

Alfred Molon
Old September 7th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon

In article , Steven Wandy
says...
My wife and I are going on a tour of Italy for two weeks !!!
I have the Olympus E330 with these lenses: 11-22, 14-54, 18-180,
40-150 and the 1.4TC. Our last long vacation was the Canadian Rockies
and the 11-22 was the most useful. I realize that most of the places
we will be visiting are urban areas - not large vista like the
Rockies. I would like to limit myself to only one or two lenses. Any
suggestions from people who have been there?

I would carry the 11-22, 14-54 and 18-180 with me. The 40-150 is not bad
for a kit lens, but is not too good either and is in any case covered by
the 18-180. You could use the 18-180 as your primary lens if you are not
too concerned about overall image sharpness.

By the way, see my Italy photo gallery at
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Italy/

Lots of panoramas and many images taken at the wide angle end.
--

Alfred Molon