Kodak's DSLR sales are good! (From dpreview site)

Old April 30th 05, 04:13 AM
RichA

Default Kodak's DSLR sales are good! (From dpreview site)

I'm surprised at this, but I guess since they were
pretty fast off the mark with a pro DSLR they've
carved a niche. Good for Kodak.

As shown in the IDC report, Canon's lead is because of DSLR sales of
1.44 million (12.63 - 11.19). That number is consistent with the
production numbers of the various Canon DSLRs.
Digital cameras excluding DSLRs
===================
1. Sony 12.32m 17.2%
2. Canon 11.19m 15.7%
3. Kodak 8.63m 12.1%

These two sets of number reveal that Kodak DSLR sales are in the
ballpark of 80,000 (give or take somewhere in between -10,000 to
+10,000 since the numbers are rounded).

That's a lot given that they have two DSLRs in the $3500 price range:
DSLR/c and DSLR/n. It looks like Kodak may be doing better in DSLR
sales than some people anticipated! Kodak is the king/queen of 35mm
full-frame DSLRs in sales number! [given that the 1Ds Mk II production
numbers are at least half of that number].

Digital cameras total
============
1. Canon 12.63m 17.1%
2. Sony 12.32m 16.7%
3. Kodak 8.71m 11.8%
Old April 30th 05, 04:52 AM
Steven M. Scharf

"RichA" wrote in message
I'm surprised at this, but I guess since they were
pretty fast off the mark with a pro DSLR they've
carved a niche. Good for Kodak.

Kodak DSLRs are popular in studios. The noise levels are not an issue
because the photographer is shooting at low ISO speeds, with good lighting.
And of course many of these professional studio photographers were using
Nikon film SLRs, so they wanted a full frame Nikon compatible D-SLR, and
Nikon doesn't offer one yet.

Old April 30th 05, 06:04 PM
Alan Browne

RichA wrote:

As shown in the IDC report, Canon's lead is because of DSLR sales of

Got a link to the report Rich?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 30th 05, 06:50 PM
RichA

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:04:40 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

RichA wrote:

As shown in the IDC report, Canon's lead is because of DSLR sales of

Got a link to the report Rich?

No, sorry. The poster didn't bother, I couldn't find it.
-Rich
Old April 30th 05, 07:02 PM
RichA

wrote:

RichA wrote:

As shown in the IDC report, Canon's lead is because of DSLR sales of

Got a link to the report Rich?

This is interesting;

From: http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news...tory_3030.html

IDC - Top 6 global digital camera sales
Of the 74 million digital cameras shipped last year, 2.5 million were
SLR models, IDC said, with 58 percent sold by Tokyo- based Canon,
compared with 3.2 percent for Kodak. IDC did not break down SLR sales
in its 2003 ranking, when 800,000 such cameras were sold. Olympus had
a 2004 market share of 11.2 percent. Nikon Corp. pulled ahead of Fuji
Photo Film for fifth place with 9.3 percent to 9.1 percent for Fuji.
All of the companies are based in Tokyo. Kodak's U.S. market share for
digital cameras was 21.9 percent last year, while Sony had 19.4
percent, IDC said in February.
Old April 30th 05, 07:40 PM
Randy W. Sims

Alan Browne wrote:
RichA wrote:

As shown in the IDC report, Canon's lead is because of DSLR sales of

Got a link to the report Rich?

I didn't bother trying to locate the exact report, but you might try a
search at idc.com for the terms "digital SLR". A google search for the
terms "IDC digital SLR canon" is also productive. Too lazy to read all
the results myself atm.

Randy.
Old April 30th 05, 07:56 PM
Alan Browne

Randy W. Sims wrote:
terms "IDC digital SLR canon" is also productive. Too lazy to read all
the results myself atm.

Thanks. ...the data appears to be in documents for sales by IDC.
Prices like $500 per doc. I'd rather put that towards a new lens...

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 1st 05, 03:08 AM
RichA

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:56:56 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Randy W. Sims wrote:
terms "IDC digital SLR canon" is also productive. Too lazy to read all
the results myself atm.

Thanks. ...the data appears to be in documents for sales by IDC.
Prices like $500 per doc. I'd rather put that towards a new lens...

Cheers,
Alan

Might be interesting if someone posts their predictions for the market
out to 2009.
-Rich