Ultimate Stocked Canon Camera Bag (Lens Selection) - LIMIT 6-7 lenses please!

Old June 22nd 04, 02:34 AM
Nick J

Default Ultimate Stocked Canon Camera Bag (Lens Selection) - LIMIT 6-7lenses please!

skymuffins wrote:
Hello, I'm new to this group. What would be THE ultimate lens selection a
Canon?

I lean a bit to the nature/wildlife side of photography, but would like to
build an all around selection of decent glass.

For this exercise, your camera bag can only hold 7 lenses, must have a mix
primes and zooms, and don't just pick all "L" glass. You have $5000 to
build your lens selection.

Enjoy.

- Harrison

Nothing that controversial he

17-40mm f4.0 $650 *
24mm f3.5 TSE $1000
50mm f1.4 $300 *
85mm f1.8 $300 *
135mm f2.0 $850 *
180mm f3.5 Macro $1200
300mm f4.0 IS $1100

hmmm that comes to $5400 but luckily my retailer recognises me as a
great customer and gives a 10% reduction accordingly.

Also as luck would have it, I find my bag can hold 7 lenses and two
teleconvertors so I'll chuck in the EF1.4X and EF2.0X as well ;-)

It's actually the lens collection that, more by accident than design,
I'm gravitating towards (the lenses marked with an *). Unsuprisingly the
three missing from my lens bag are the special interest +$1000 lenses.
Perhaps more realistically I'll get a 90mm tamron macro lens and that'll
about do me!

Nick

Old June 23rd 04, 01:33 AM
Robert Meyers

"skymuffins" wrote in message
Hello, I'm new to this group. What would be THE ultimate lens selection a
Canon?

I lean a bit to the nature/wildlife side of photography, but would like to
build an all around selection of decent glass.

For this exercise, your camera bag can only hold 7 lenses, must have a mix
primes and zooms, and don't just pick all "L" glass. You have $5000 to
build your lens selection.

If I had $500 for lenses I would get:

Canon EF USM 100mm F2 $300

Canon EF TS-E 24mm $1000

Sigma 50mm Macro $300

Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 $1700

Tamron XR DI 28-75mm F2.8 $300

Canon EF USM 85mm F1.2L $1500

My dream kit

Old June 23rd 04, 06:09 AM
Skip M

"skymuffins" wrote in message
Hello, I'm new to this group. What would be THE ultimate lens selection a
Canon?

I lean a bit to the nature/wildlife side of photography, but would like to
build an all around selection of decent glass.

For this exercise, your camera bag can only hold 7 lenses, must have a mix
primes and zooms, and don't just pick all "L" glass. You have $5000 to
build your lens selection.

Enjoy.

- Harrison

Well, the 5 grand pretty much eliminates a bag full of "L" lenses, doesn't
it? But one must have "L" is the 70-200 f2.8L IS, probably with a 2x
converter. That takes care of about 2 grand. Then I'd probably throw in
the 28-135 f3.5-5.6 USM IS, just to keep the cost down over the 24-70 L. (I
love my 28-135, BTW) Now you have all the focal lengths from 28-400
covered, and you have a fast moderate telezoom. Just for hoots, throw a
50mm f1.8 in the bag, cheap at $75 but good optically. Cheap feeling
plastic, though. A 100 f2.8 Macro, I sometimes wish I'd gotten that lens
rather than the 100 f2 that I have, only $80 more. Don't get me wrong, I
really like the f2, but the macro would sometimes be nice...
I'd probably finish it off by adding a 17-40 f4L, but since we're so far
under budget, maybe I'd spring for the 16-35 f2.8L. Maybe a 15mm fisheye
for less than $600. (As an aside, I bought the Sigma version of this lens,
and the 17-35 f2.8-4 EX HSM both for under $500, but at the time the Canon
17-40 wasn't around, if it was, I probably would have bought that lens
instead.)
Your hypothetical $5000 budget precludes and exotica like the 400mm f2.8L,
500 f4L, etc. And you did say Canon lenses, so Tamron, Tokina and Sigma
long teles are out, too.
I'm not to convinced that the non "L" wide angle single focal length lenses
are any better than the "L" wide zooms, and your price limits preclude any
of the wide, fast "L" lenses like the 24mm f1.4L. All of the "L" wides run
over $1000, and the 16-35 gives acceptable speed, though not equal by any
means to the wide "L"s, and a good range...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old June 23rd 04, 07:01 AM
Mark M

"skymuffins" wrote in message
Hello, I'm new to this group. What would be THE ultimate lens selection a
Canon?

I lean a bit to the nature/wildlife side of photography, but would like to
build an all around selection of decent glass.

For this exercise, your camera bag can only hold 7 lenses, must have a mix
primes and zooms, and don't just pick all "L" glass. You have $5000 to
build your lens selection.

Enjoy.

- Harrison

7 lenses?

Nah.
Start with 3 superb ones:

Canon 16-35 2.8 L
Canon 24-70 2.8 L
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L
Canon 1.4x (or perhaps a 2x)

Whew! ...You're broke, and 4 lenses short...
....But you've got a GREAT set of glass to cover everything save macro.
For that, grab a few cheap Kenko extension tubes, and you're in pretty good
shape.

Alternative #1:
Substitute a Canon 17-40 f4 L for the 16-35...and use the $700 savings to
grab the
Canon 100mm 2.8 USM Macro lens.

Alternative #2:
Substitute the Canon 28-135 IS for the 24-70 2.8 L, and grab the macro with
THAT savings.

NOW... You're set!

Old June 23rd 04, 07:04 AM
Mark M

"Mark M" wrote in message
news19Cc.118$Xs2.84@fed1read07...

[...]

PS...
My main lenses a
Canon 16-35 2.8 L
28-135 IS
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L
Canon 100-400 L
Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro
Canon 50mm 1.4 USM
Canon 1.4x
Kenko Extension Tube set

I'm tempted to trade in my 100-400 toward the 24.70 L and a 2x extender...

Old June 23rd 04, 03:25 PM
skymuffins

"Skip M" wrote in message
[...]

Yup, I am more concerned with the long lenses than wide or macro. I want
to build a decent camera setup. I will focus on the long glass later.

So Far, I'm leaning toward

Zoom:
Canon 17-40mm f/4.0
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8

Prime:
50mm f/1.4
85mm f/1.8
300mm f/4.0

500mm f/4 comes later.... MUCH later

Thanks for the input.

- Harrison

Old June 23rd 04, 04:23 PM
Alan Browne

skymuffins wrote:

Hello, I'm new to this group. What would be THE ultimate lens selection a
Canon?

I lean a bit to the nature/wildlife side of photography, but would like to
build an all around selection of decent glass.

For this exercise, your camera bag can only hold 7 lenses, must have a mix
primes and zooms, and don't just pick all "L" glass. You have $5000 to
build your lens selection.

Ultimate on a beer budget? Forget it. I threw in a 2x TC to
help you get to nature range with the 200.

Okay. (B&H catalog import prices)

20 f/2.8 $390
50 f/1.4 $300
100 f/2.8 Macro $450
200 f/2.8 USM $620 ---non IS

70-200 f/2.8 IS $1600 IS
24-70 f/2.8 $1250
2xII (TC) $265

Leaves you $125 for 'other stuff'

Old June 23rd 04, 06:10 PM
Dallas

skymuffins said:

So Far, I'm leaning toward

Zoom:
Canon 17-40mm f/4.0
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8

I have no experience with the 17-40, but I lust after the 24-70mm and the
70-200mm. Very good choices, but make sure that you buy the IS version of
the latter zoom - it is noticeably better than the non-IS version.

On the wide side I would go for the 16-35mm.

Prime:
50mm f/1.4
85mm f/1.8
300mm f/4.0

I have the 85mm and while it is a good lens, its only really useful in
very low light conditions where you can't use flash. Your L zooms will be
better in normal lighting conditions.

Don't waste your time with the 300mm f/4. You would be better off buying a
2x converter for your 70-200mm. If you are moving up from ordinary glass
to this lens it will seem great, but when you use the high end glass and
compare, you'll know why I said what I just did.

For me, first choice would be the 16-35mm, then the 24-70mm and the
70-200mm IS. Dunno if they would cost more than $5k.

--
Oh dear. Looks like my signature took off...
Reward offered.

Old June 26th 04, 01:12 PM
Colm

17-40L f4 $675