Finally a decent travel zoom from Fuji

Old July 21st 19, 08:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Finally a decent travel zoom from Fuji

https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/fujinon/xf-16-
80mm-f4-r-ois-wr/review/

Because 18-55 or 16-55 is not enough range and 18-135 is
not wide enough at the wide end.
Not sure why it took Fuji such a long time to come out
with a 16-80 zoom lens (=24-120 FF equiv.).
Sony and Nikon have had such 16-80 zooms for a long time
for their APS-C range.
The new lens seems to be very usable, also given its
claimed six stops of stabilisation.
--
Alfred Molon

Old July 21st 19, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 21/07/2019 08:58, Alfred Molon wrote:
https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/fujinon/xf-16-
80mm-f4-r-ois-wr/review/

Same length as the 18-55, 80 grams heavier. The closer focussing is
nice. The 18-55 is a useful lens IMHO. But I'd sat this plus an X-T30
body would be a pretty good way to start for anyone tempted by Fuji X.
Old July 21st 19, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 21, 2019, newshound wrote
(in articlecsSdnctm_bjz5anAnZ2dnUU78dnNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

On 21/07/2019 08:58, Alfred Molon wrote:
https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/fujinon/xf-16-
80mm-f4-r-ois-wr/review/

Same length as the 18-55, 80 grams heavier. The closer focussing is
nice. The 18-55 is a useful lens IMHO. But I'd sat this plus an X-T30
body would be a pretty good way to start for anyone tempted by Fuji X.

The 16-80mm is a lens I might consider, and it is with the 18-55mm a good
choice for a Fujifilm starter. For now it is tough to fault the 18-55mm as it
still gives you F/2.8 at 18mm, and f/4 at 55mm. I use the 18-55mm on my
smaller X-E3 when I don’t have one of the primes, 23mm f/2.0, or 35mm f/1.4
on that body.

However, when it comes to quality glass the 16-55mm f/2.8 is outstanding, and
is my daily working lens on my X-T3. I have used it on the X-E3, but it is
big and awkward on the small body. The only thing that could improve it would
be to have a version with OIS. For now it is, as some have claimed, a bag of
primes. I even find that my 16mm f/1.4 is hardly used since I bought the
16-55 (I bought mine used from B&H for $748).

Currently on my Fujinon wish list are the 80mm f/2.8, and the 50-140mm f/2.8.
I will wait on the 16-80mm.

Savageduck

Old July 22nd 19, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 21, 2019, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

[...]

Since we are talking 16-80mm this might be interesting. This batch was shot
with the 16-80mm on an X-T3.

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/stories...mmf4-r-ois-wr-
impressions/

Savageduck

Old July 22nd 19, 03:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

[...]

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/stories/fujinon-xf16-80mmf4-r-ois-wr-impressions/

....and
https://jonasraskphotography.com/201...-f-4-r-ois-wr-
first-look-preview/

Savageduck

Old July 22nd 19, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article
.com,
says...
Since we are talking 16-80mm this might be interesting. This batch was shot
with the 16-80mm on an X-T3.

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/stories...mmf4-r-ois-wr-
impressions/

Some vignetting with the polarising filter between 16
and 21mm. Perhaps the lens diameter should have been a
bit bigger.
--
Alfred Molon

Old July 22nd 19, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article .com, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jul 21, 2019, Savageduck wrote (in
iganews.com):

Savageduck:
On Jul 21, 2019, Savageduck wrote (in
iganews.com):

On Jul 21, 2019, newshound wrote (in
articlecsSdnctm_bjz5anAnZ2dnUU78dnNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

Alfred Molon:
https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/fujinon/xf-16-
80mm-f4-r-ois-wr/review/

newshound:
[...]

I've always wondered why they make these lenses så slow, is it just to make
them compact? This lens is equivalent to a 24-120mm/f8, and compared to the 24-
120/f4 for Nikon, it's tiny. But a 24-120mm/f4 equivalent (16-80mm/f2)
shouldn't have to be as big, so why make it so slow?

--
Sandman
Old July 22nd 19, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article sandman-71906383ce912d003cc7f7ba703d02d6
@individual.net, says...
I've always wondered why they make these lenses s? slow, is it just to make
them compact? This lens is equivalent to a 24-120mm/f8,

No, it's still an F4 lens.
--
Alfred Molon

Old July 23rd 19, 07:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Alfred Molon wrote:

Sandman:
I've always wondered why they make these lenses s? slow, is it
just to make them compact? This lens is equivalent to a
24-120mm/f8,

No, it's still an F4 lens.

Just as it's a 16-80mm lens. It's just that it's equivalent to a 24-120/f8 on
full frame.

--
Sandman