booting computers

Old April 27th 12, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Trevor[_2_]

Default booting computers

"NM5K" wrote in message
Your anecdotal suspicions only. And totally depends on exactly what you
call
standby or sleep.

I'm talking about totally off.

OK so the whole Theraml stuff is irrelevant BS.

You not only have the thermal cycling issues, but you also
have slight amounts of component wear due to inrush current, etc.

I really have to wonder about people who claim their computers use no (or
almost no power) in sleep mode, and obviously generate no (or almost no
heat) THEN simultaneously go on to claim it somehow eliminates thermal
cycling issues, and in-rush currents etc. Obviously they are not too
technically literate, or you leave your computer *fully* powered at all
times using large amounts of power, and increased wear on mechanical
parts
like hard drives.

I never said anything of the sort. I never use sleep modes
as far as computers. And inrush currents would be an issue
when switching on power supplies.. If the power supply stays
on, and the computer merely goes into a sleep mode, well then
no, inrush current is not likely to be an issue.

YOU said "totally off"! And inrush current still happens when you go from
"sleep mode" to totally on in any case. Unless you computer draws the same
current in "sleep" as it does when it's "totally on". So that would either
be a VERY slow computer, or you are wasting a LOT of energy. You can't have
it ALL ways no matter what you may wish, and claim!

I never said it would be. But it is if you turn one on cold
with the power supply previously off.

Just as when the power supply is drawing "0, or close to 0 current" (sleep)
and then goes into full power mode.

And I wasn't talking about
only computers either. Naturally inrush issues will be higher
when using higher voltages and currents. Many amplifiers will
use step start systems to reduce inrush currents when turned on.

Some do these days, how does that fit with your argument they are better
left on though? After all that engineering trouble they went to on your
behalf :-)

Must be a very badly designed system if you can even notice the
difference
in time it takes to throttle back up. I bet you can't and it's just
another
of your theories.

I've never even tried it to see if I can notice a difference.

Are you a republican as well? Obviously wedded to your beliefs, and don't
even want to know if they match reality. In case they don't! :-)

It's no theory or even guess. I don't use it. I don't want to use it.
And I have my reasons for that.

Which are?

Right, I already said "your money your choice"! What I'm simply
disagreeing
with is your bull**** reasons.

Yea right... :/

Yeah, you don't like them being challenged do you.

Trevor.

Old April 28th 12, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Trevor wrote:

Are you a republican as well? Obviously wedded to your beliefs, and don't
even want to know if they match reality. In case they don't! :-)

If that's the way to detect a republican, you may be one.

-Wolfgang