Photographic Exercise: Describe a Pic

Old March 16th 11, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_6_]

Default Photographic Exercise: Describe a Pic

Having an "eye" for detail is one of those tools most
photographers rely on. But, how does one develop that
tool?

Well, one way is to check out the work of other shooters and
examine how they've shot subjects you might be interested
in.

When looking at somebody else's pic, we typically look at colour
schemes, depth of focus, the presence or absence of blur, shadow
and highlight detail, facial expression of subjects (if present),
etc.

The absence of the ability to view the work of others is one of
the biggest obstacles for a blind photographer to overcome, and
it's one of the things I find most distressing about the loss of
my sight.

With that in mind, I'd like to suggest an exercise for anyone out
there who is interested in both developing their observational
skills and helping me to overcome this obsticle.

The exercise is simple. Just find some shots taken by your
favourite photographer, or one recommended by others. Look at
their pics and try to put what you see into words.

Try to figure out what aperture / shutter speed might have been
selected, what ISO film or sensor speed chosen, ditto for lens
focal length, the presence or absence of staged lights, special
filters / effects used, etc.

Jot down notes about the content of the pic, everything from what
objects are in the shot (or implyed) to how the elements are
placed, and how you feel about what you see.

Even if you're not into making your observations public by
posting them here, or assisting me by emailing them to one of my
email addresses, I would encourage you to try the exercise
yourself, as a way to help you develop your artistic
"eye."

Of course, though, I'd be very interested in what you come up
with, as it would be a huge source of inspiration and insight for
me to draw upon as I pursue my passion.

Good Luck,
Dudley
Old March 17th 11, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Outing Trolls is FUN![_5_]

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 12:52:57 +0000, Tony wrote:

What appears to be a brainless contribution by the
master troll is a cunningly disguised educational and
training excercise.

You mean, the post about how to get rid of OFF-TOPIC TROLLS LIKE YOU?

Now, did you have something to say about cameras and photography? NO. You
NEVER DO. You useless PIECE OF **** TROLL.