"Use your viewfinder to avoid annoying those in the audience"

Old March 16th 11, 01:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

Default "Use your viewfinder to avoid annoying those in the audience"

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 22:50:17 -0700, Savageduck

On 2011-03-15 21:04:12 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:00:53 -0700, Savageduck

On 2011-03-15 18:49:55 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 20:31:47 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:

On 3/15/11 5:50 PM, in article ,
"tony cooper" wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:00:24 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:

On 3/15/11 12:36 PM, in article
,
"tony cooper" wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:09:49 -0700 (PDT), Rich
wrote:

On Mar 15, 9:52*am, "Mr. Strat" wrote:
In article , SMS

wrote:
Was at a concert last week at my kid's high school, and before it
started there were the usual requests to a) turn off your cell phones,
b) no flash photography, c) don't use LCDs on camcorders or cameras, use
the viewfinder.

As usual there were the annoying people in the audience recording the
entire performance with the LCD illuminated the whole time. I wonder if
the concertmaster even realized how few new P&S cameras and camcorders
even have a viewfinder any more.

I just shake my head when I see people using the LCD instead of the
viewfinder especially with DSLRs that have a live feed.

LCD's are only good for lining up difficult shots where the camera
can't be placed at the eye.

I dunno about that. There are many people who take better photographs
using "Live View" because they see the screen as the photograph. These
are people like my wife who don't take many photographs and aren't
really comfortable with a camera. If she uses my camera - which does
not have Live View - she cuts off heads and feet. She does well with
her P&S, though.

I think her problem with my camera is that she keeps both eyes open
and sees the scene with the eye not at the camera and thinks she's
getting it all.

Has she determined her dominant eye?

Whichever one she focusses on me when she says "Don't leave your
clothes on the floor".

G!

You do know how to do that, do you not?

The thumb at full elbow extension and focusing on a distant object and all?

Actually, I do. I used to skeet shoot. I'm left-handed and naturally
put the shotgun butt in my left shoulder. I couldn't hit squat. When
I found I am right-eye-dominant, I moved the butt to my right shoulder
and became fairly good.

I was surprised to find I wasn't good at skeet at first because I was
very good with an M-1 in the Army. However, I was forced to shoot
from the right shoulder there because one never argues with the range
sergeant. The M-1s were the old bolt action type when I was in, and -
being left handed - I'd reach my left hand across to throw the bolt.
As long as Sarge didn't see me do that, I was OK. He would look down
the line, though, and see if I had the rifle in my left shoulder.
I didn't know anything about eye dominance then.

Bolt action M-1! I think not.
If you were using a bolt action rifle in the US Military it would have
been a '03 Springfield.
Given your probable time of service you should have been using an M-1
Garand, or an M-14.
The M-1 Garand is a semi-auto gas operated rifle with an eight shot
clip which ejects the clip with the eighth shot.
There is also the M-1 carbine, which is also a semi-automatic (some had
selective fire full auto ability)
...and certainly the bolt on these rifles was on the right.

The rifle used at Ft Leonard Wood for training in 1961 was the M-1.

It's difficult to remember the exact details 50 years later, but if I
remember correctly we loaded one round at a time, fired that round,
and someone walked down the row and gave us another round. That was
in the initial training. I think we were later issued clips when the
training progressed to pop-ups.

Thinking about it, I don't think "throwing the bolt" was a correct
description. I think the reaching across to the right side of the
weapon with my left hand (which I was not supposed to do) was to
insert another round in the initial target training phase.

Damn! That has to be the most awkward way to shoot an M-1. IIRC the
only time there was a protocol for loading and firing a single round
was for WWII firing squad procedures. Otherwise, knowledge of loading
and firing a single round would have been useful in an emergency, but
to do that in basic training with that rifle seems very strange since
that was not normal operation. That is unless that particular
instructor had a bad experience with recruits unfamiliar with weapons,
and it seems you meet that description.

Whatever was done, I was not singled out. What I described was the
way all of us did it. As far as I know, that was the way all range
training was done at Ft Leonard Wood at that time. I'm sorry not to
be able to provide more detailed memories, but that was 50 years ago.
We only went to the range for one week of Basic.

I spent much more time learning to use a typewriter in Clerk-Typist
training even though I was a fast touch-typist when I got there. The
motto of our group in Clerk-Typist training was "We don't retreat, we
backspace".

While I did get that "Expert" rating with the M1, I spent the rest of
my stay in the PIO (Public Information Office) interviewing National
Guard and Reserve personnel and preparing stories on those units for
publication in their hometown newspapers.

The US Military started replacing the M-1 with the M-14 in 1957, but
only completed the change over in 1965. By then the the M-14 was due to
be replaced with the M-16.
By 1968 my tools were the M-14 & M-16

This then should be your M-1;
https://trcs.wikispaces.com/file/vie...537/garand.jpg

Yeah. That curved bit dropping down in the lower image is what I
called "the bolt".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 16th 11, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 3/15/11 9:09 PM, in article
201103151909408930-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

On 2011-03-15 18:31:47 -0700, George Kerby said:

On 3/15/11 5:50 PM, in article ,
"tony cooper" wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:00:24 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:

On 3/15/11 12:36 PM, in article
,

wrote:
[...]

There is a much easier and surer way to do that.

Find a tube, the cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels will do.
Hold that out at arms length and with both eyes open, find a target,
seen through the tube, to focus on.
Slowly bring the tube towards your face. It will gravitate toward your
master eye, as your weak eye will suppress.

An optometrist will get the same information when they have you
maintain focus on a pencil tip, moving it from side to side, up and
down, then moving it toward your face. your weak eye will suppress at
the near point you can no longer focus on the point.

Interesting info. THX!

Old March 16th 11, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-03-15 18:31:47 -0700, George Kerby said:

Le Snip

G!

You do know how to do that, do you not?

The thumb at full elbow extension and focusing on a distant object and all?

There is a much easier and surer way to do that.

Find a tube, the cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels will do.
Hold that out at arms length and with both eyes open, find a target,
seen through the tube, to focus on.
Slowly bring the tube towards your face. It will gravitate toward your
master eye, as your weak eye will suppress.

An optometrist will get the same information when they have you
maintain focus on a pencil tip, moving it from side to side, up and
down, then moving it toward your face. your weak eye will suppress at
the near point you can no longer focus on the point.

Interesting info. THX!

If you try the "follow the pen" test with a willing volunteer. Tell
them to follow the pen/pencil point maintaining focus. When you move it
toward their face you will see the weak eye actually swing outward when
it suppresses at the near point.

Savageduck

Old March 16th 11, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 06:50:40 -0700, Mr. Strat wrote:

In article , Outing Trolls
is FUN! wrote:

And annoy the hell out of everyone within 10 yards with all the
obnoxious slamming slapping mirrors and shutters that DSLRs must use.
That's why they were the very FIRST cameras to be banned from most all
public performances. You ****ingly stupid TROLL. Again you prove,
without ONE doubt left, that you've never used ANY camera in your
lifetime. Nor ever been near one.

Oh yeah...those slapping mirrors are loud enough to wake the dead.

Go home to mommy, you moron.

You also forgot to tell him that DSLRs were NOT the first cameras to be
banned from public performances. In the early fifties an acquaintance got
banned from a local theatre for using a Speed Graphic during a play.

--
Neil
Linux counter 335851
Old March 16th 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 21:49:55 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

Actually, I do. I used to skeet shoot. I'm left-handed and naturally
put the shotgun butt in my left shoulder. I couldn't hit squat. When I
found I am right-eye-dominant, I moved the butt to my right shoulder and
became fairly good.

I was surprised to find I wasn't good at skeet at first because I was
very good with an M-1 in the Army. However, I was forced to shoot from
the right shoulder there because one never argues with the range
sergeant. The M-1s were the old bolt action type when I was in, and -
being left handed - I'd reach my left hand across to throw the bolt. As
long as Sarge didn't see me do that, I was OK. He would look down the
line, though, and see if I had the rifle in my left shoulder. I didn't
know anything about eye dominance then.

I did my national service from jan 1951 until jan 1953. During the first
five weeks training we were taught quite a lot about dominant eyes etc.
and this was with the Royal Armoured Corps. The rifles were Lee Enfields

--
Neil
Linux counter 335851
Old March 17th 11, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 3/14/2011 4:45 PM, SMS wrote:
Was at a concert last week at my kid's high school, and before it
started there were the usual requests to a) turn off your cell phones,
b) no flash photography, c) don't use LCDs on camcorders or cameras, use
the viewfinder.

And last night, at my son's middle school band concert, similar thing,
but since they don't darken the room for most of the concert it was not
so bad with all the video cameras and iPhones.

What was amusing is that for one selection for each of the three bands
(beginning, intermediate, and advanced) they show a video that the band
plays along with (i.e. when they played the Star Wars themes they had a
Star Wars compilation). These idiots in the audience with their P&S
cameras are taking flash photos of the video on the screen which was
really annoying to the band members. First of all, they'd have had a
much better chance of getting a usable photo if they turned the flash
off (assuming they knew how) and second of all, the school has a
videographer recording the whole concert and sells the DVDs of the
concert for $2!
Old March 17th 11, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Outing Trolls is FUN![_5_]

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 07:52:58 -0700, SMS wrote:

On 3/14/2011 4:45 PM, SMS wrote:
[...]

Considering that all owners of DSLRs were banned from bringing them in,
they probably brought in their compact cameras instead (to your imaginary
concert). Using them the very same way they all use their DSLRs with their
built-in flashes. Owning a DSLR doesn't make a person smarter, it only
makes them 10-times more annoying. Take you for example. You don't own ANY
camera. And look what just imagining owning a DSLR has already done to you.

Old March 17th 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Pablo wrote:
Outing Trolls is FUN! escribió:
most all

What does this mean? Serious question.

Probably "almost all", which is math speech for "an infinite
number is, but a finite (but possibly huge, like 'all humans' or
'all atoms in the universe') isn't".

-Wolfgang
Old March 17th 11, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 3/15/2011 6:50 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:00:24 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:

On 3/15/11 12:36 PM, in article ,
"tony wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:09:49 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Mar 15, 9:52 am, "Mr. wrote:
In , SMS

wrote:
[...]

I used to hear: "don't leave your socks on the floor." when gong to bed.
She stopped when one night I hung them on the headboard.

--
Peter
Old March 17th 11, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 3/15/2011 8:20 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:34:24 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Mar 15, 1:36 pm, tony wrote:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:09:49 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Mar 15, 9:52 am, "Mr. wrote:
In , SMS

wrote:
[...]

Where's that old target shooter's "dominant eye" rule when you need
it?

What husband wants his wife developing a shooter's eye?

Todd Palin?

--
Peter