Higher ISO more sensitive to infrared light?

Old May 15th 21, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Doe[_3_]

Default Higher ISO more sensitive to infrared light?

I'm a layman wondering if (generally speaking) increasing the ISO setting
increases sensitivity to infrared light.

Thanks.
Old May 15th 21, 07:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 15/05/2021 04:48, John Doe wrote:
I'm a layman wondering if (generally speaking) increasing the ISO setting
increases sensitivity to infrared light.

Thanks.

Simple answer: No.

--
Cheers,
David
Old May 15th 21, 09:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , John Doe
wrote:

I'm a layman wondering if (generally speaking) increasing the ISO setting
increases sensitivity to infrared light.

increasing iso simply amplifies the signal, regardless of wavelength.
Old May 15th 21, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2021-05-14 23:48, John Doe wrote:
I'm a layman wondering if (generally speaking) increasing the ISO setting
increases sensitivity to infrared light.

Yes of course it does - at least to near infrared and possibly further.
But most cameras have an IR filter over the sensor blocking those
wavelengths.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
Old May 16th 21, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 2021-05-14 23:48, John Doe wrote:
I'm a layman wondering if (generally speaking) increasing the ISO setting
increases sensitivity to infrared light.

Yes of course it does - at least to near infrared and possibly further.
But most cameras have an IR filter over the sensor blocking those
wavelengths.

But increasing the ISO does not typically increase the sensitivity - the
signal-to-noise ratio - it just increases the gain. The blocking filter
needs to be removed (not a trivial task) to increase the (relative)
sensitivity to (near) infra-red light. Hence my answer of "No".

--
Cheers,
David
Old May 16th 21, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2021-05-14 23:48, John Doe wrote:
I'm a layman wondering if (generally speaking) increasing the ISO
setting
increases sensitivity to infrared light.

Yes of course it does - at least to near infrared and possibly further.
Â*Â* But most cameras have an IR filter over the sensor blocking those
wavelengths.

But increasing the ISO does not typically increase the sensitivity - the
signal-to-noise ratio - it just increases the gain.Â* The blocking filter
needs to be removed (not a trivial task) to increase the (relative)
sensitivity to (near) infra-red light.Â* Hence my answer of "No".

Splitting hairs. As a system, increasing ISO increases the system
sensitivity. Gain is sensitivity no matter where applied. If there are
noise consequences, then so be it.

And of course signal to noise ratio â‰* sensitivity. It's a measure of
quality and goes to system bandwidth.

And while, for a certain range of ISO, the gain is numeric, some sensors
have analog gain at the sensor chip pushing the gain closer to where the
signal was obtained.

So not a definite no, just something requiring a clear answer with more
facts.

Old May 16th 21, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 16/05/2021 12:36, Alan Browne wrote:
Splitting hairs. As a system, increasing ISO increases the system
sensitivity. Gain is sensitivity no matter where applied. If there are
noise consequences, then so be it.

And of course signal to noise ratio â‰* sensitivity. It's a measure of
quality and goes to system bandwidth.

And while, for a certain range of ISO, the gain is numeric, some sensors
have analog gain at the sensor chip pushing the gain closer to where the
signal was obtained.

So not a definite no, just something requiring a clear answer with more
facts.

Although likely beyond the range of an answer for a "layman", as
originally requested!

It is encouraging that sensors today are much nearer than they used to
be to the shot/photon noise limited level. A good big sensor will
always beat a good small sensor! More photons.

Having said that, I've been very pleased in recent times with the
ability of my Google Pixel phone to have stacking inbuilt, and achieving
results which exceed what my eyes can see. It works very well. Since
having a decent phone I've done much more photography.

--
Cheers,
David
Old May 16th 21, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

It is encouraging that sensors today are much nearer than they used to
be to the shot/photon noise limited level.

they've been at that level for quite some time.

A good big sensor will
always beat a good small sensor! More photons.

all things being equal, yes.

the problem is that they never are.

Having said that, I've been very pleased in recent times with the
ability of my Google Pixel phone to have stacking inbuilt, and achieving
results which exceed what my eyes can see. It works very well.

in other words, things aren't equal.

computational photography can compensate for the drawbacks of smaller
sensors and in many cases, can exceed what a larger sensor could have
done.

Since
having a decent phone I've done much more photography.

everyone has.
Old May 16th 21, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2021-05-16 09:07, David Taylor wrote:

Although likely beyond the range of an answer for a "layman", as
originally requested!

Laymen are not immune to understanding things. "John Doe" already knows
about infrared. So give someone more food for thought and he has more
to go on in learning more.

Old May 17th 21, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Doe[_3_]

Incubus wrote:

John Doe wrote:

I'm a layman wondering if (generally speaking) increasing the ISO setting
increases sensitivity to infrared light.

As others have pointed out, the sensitivity doesn't increase but rather the
gain. Digital cameras tend to have an IR filter to block IR. If yours has
been IR converted (the filter removed, in other words) then changing the ISO
will impact IR as well as visible light.

I'm satisfied.

Thanks to the replies.