Finally a decent travel zoom from Fuji

Old July 25th 19, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Finally a decent travel zoom from Fuji

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 07:11:43 -0400, nospam

RichA wrote:

Try shooting them, the Nikon 2 stops faster with the same aperture and ISO as the
Fuji and SEE if your equivalency works out. The only thing equivalency theory works
on is angle of view.

no.

Just to clarify the issue, what else does it work on?
Old July 25th 19, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Both physical factors of the lens are affected when comparing crop to full
format. That's why a f4 m43 lens has the equivalent aperture of a f8 full
format
lens. And that's also why you can't get that short focus distance with
(most) m43 lenses.

I don't intend to reopen the argument about equivalent apertures so
all I can say is that I believe to be misguided.

it's not misguided, and can be mathematically proven.
Old July 25th 19, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Try shooting them, the Nikon 2 stops faster with the same aperture and ISO
as the Fuji and SEE if your equivalency works out. The only thing equivalency
theory works on is angle of view.

no.

Just to clarify the issue, what else does it work on?

what else does what work on?

if you mean equivalency, both focal length and f/stop are affected, the
latter of which confuses many people.
Old July 25th 19, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 24, 2019, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 07:11:43 -0400,
wrote:

In ,
RichA wrote:

Try shooting them, the Nikon 2 stops faster with the same aperture and ISO
as the Fuji and SEE if your equivalency works out. The only thing equivalency
theory works on is angle of view.

no.

Just to clarify the issue, what else does it work on?

If you are asking about his theory, who knows?
If you are asking what other cameras one might mount the XF16-80mm f/4, then
it is Fujifilm only

Unfortunately, Fuji X-mount lenses are unable to be mounted on a non-Fuji X
body. While there are many adaptors from Canon. Nikon, Leica, and others, to
Fuji X-mount, there are none to adapt a Fuji X-lens to a third party body.

Unless he shoots all native with both systems, two cameras with matching
brand lenses.

The bottomline for this little argument is this, It doesn’t matter if you
are shooting a FF, APS-C, or M4/3 with good glass, you are going to expose
for the scene, and ambient light environment, and whatever your intention
might be to capture a satisfactory image.

Since this is a discussion regarding the new Fujifilm XF16-80mm f/4. I can
only say, given that I currently own, and use a whole bunch of Fujinon
X-mount glass, and that this lens is is probably going do deliver very good
performance, especially if it is matched with an X-E3, X-T30, X-T2/3, or
X-H1. I have other lenses to buy, so I will take a look at this one, but it
will be lower on my with list, and I still have the FL covered with my other
primes & zooms.

Savageduck

Old July 25th 19, 11:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Alfred Molon
wrote:

Sandman:
Both physical factors of the lens are affected when comparing crop
to full format. That's why a f4 m43 lens has the equivalent
aperture of a f8 full format lens.

Wrong again. An F4 lens is an F4 lens regardless of
sensor size

No one has said otherwise. A 16-80mm lens is a 16-80mm lens also regardless of
sensor size, but the *equivalent* focal length is 24-120mm, just as the
equivalent aperture is F6 (not F8, my bad)

, because the exposure is the same at F4 and
1/100s both on the small sensor camera and the large
sensor camera. But if you shoot at F8, the exposure time
will be 4x the exposure time at F4.

You're mixing exposure with equivalency. Exposure is light per unit area, a
smaller sensor has fewer of those units, so the amount of total light is
different, meaning that a crop sensor camera need to boost its signal to
create an equal enough image. That's why crop sensors usually are said to have
poorer ISO.

BTW, we are talking about a Fuji lens (1.5x crop).

Yeah, my bad. Apologies.

--
Sandman
Old July 25th 19, 11:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

Sandman:
Just as focal length is, by definition, the lens's ability to
converge light. It's a fixed property of the lens. But with lenses
for crop sensors, they often list the equivalent 35mm focal
length, but not the equivalent 35mm aperture.

The 'equivalent 35mm focal length' is intended to guide people who
relate field of view to the focal length of their old 35mm camera
lens.

Not many of those guys left around, are there, though? It is a way to keep a
common format I suppose, and it's somewhat helpful. It's just a remnant of the
industry of old where the issues of today didn't exist. We'd be better using
angle of view instead of focal length.

Sandman:
Both physical factors of the lens are affected when comparing crop
to full format. That's why a f4 m43 lens has the equivalent
aperture of a f8 full format lens. And that's also why you can't
get that short focus distance with (most) m43 lenses.

I don't intend to reopen the argument about equivalent apertures so
all I can say is that I believe to be misguided.

You are free to think so, still

--
Sandman
Old July 25th 19, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

The 'equivalent 35mm focal length' is intended to guide people who
relate field of view to the focal length of their old 35mm camera
lens.

Not many of those guys left around, are there, though? It is a way to keep a
common format I suppose, and it's somewhat helpful. It's just a remnant of
the industry of old where the issues of today didn't exist.

the same issues did exist (it's math), but it was rarely done.

We'd be better using
angle of view instead of focal length.

no, because one lens can be used with different sized sensors, giving
different angles of view from the same lens, including on the same
camera (i.e., crop mode).
Old July 25th 19, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

There is no such thing as an "equivalent" aperture. F4
is F4 both for a small sensor camera and a large sensor
camera.

for exposure, yes.
for depth of field, no.
Old July 25th 19, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 22/07/2019 19:55, Sandman wrote:

I've always wondered why they make these lenses så slow, is it just to make
them compact? This lens is equivalent to a 24-120mm/f8, and compared to the 24-
120/f4 for Nikon, it's tiny. But a 24-120mm/f4 equivalent (16-80mm/f2)
shouldn't have to be as big, so why make it so slow?

No mystery, it keeps the size and price down. In the days when 100 ASA
was a fast colour film, you needed all the light you could get. Not any
more.