Toe speed of TMAX 400 (was fridge and heat problems)

Old July 23rd 04, 07:44 PM
Frank Pittel

Default Toe speed of TMAX 400 (was fridge and heat problems)

jjs wrote:
: "Frank Pittel" wrote in message
: ...

: The TM films are intended to be used with the zone system. You can control
: the contrast
: with reduced development. I haven't figured out what to do with the 10
: stop scenes we
: get a lot of here in the midwest. I have found a developer from
: photographers formulary
: (I think that's the name) that's intended to Tmax films when used in high
: contrast
: scenes. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet but it does offer
: promise. There's
: also Diafine. :-)

: I know the Zone System, and use a modified version. (Forgive me, ZS-ers!)

I'm interested in your modified zone system. It should be in a seperate thread since it
would be way off the title of this thread.

: : I'm onto Efke films right now. I'll revisit TM next year.
:
: I'm interested in hearing how it works out for you. I've been thinking of
: giving their
: iso 25 a try. I'm not sure of what developer to use with it though.

: Well, I got five bottles of Neofin Blue which is supposed to be good with
: Efke 25, so I'll give it a go and let you know IF I ever, ever get to the
: field anytime soon!

I'm thinkg of trying D76. Afterall Efke 25 is an old formula film so it may work best
with an old formula developer. :-)

-------------------

Old July 25th 04, 12:20 AM
Donald Qualls

Frank Pittel wrote:

The TM films are intended to be used with the zone system. You can control the contrast
with reduced development. I haven't figured out what to do with the 10 stop scenes we
get a lot of here in the midwest. I have found a developer from photographers formulary
(I think that's the name) that's intended to Tmax films when used in high contrast
scenes. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet but it does offer promise. There's
also Diafine. :-)

Before you spend a lot of money on a specialty developer, try a highly
dilute conventional developer, with reduced agitation. I've seen
significant contrast compression in TMY using HC-110 Dilution G (1:119
from USA syrup), 15 minutes at 70 F, and agitation reduced to every 5
minutes -- in fact, *too much* compression, even for harshly lit
full-sun scenes. It should be easy to increase contrast enough to get
negatives you like in your light, but the above dilution and agitation
compensate enough to provide nicely pictorial contrast even with
document films like Agfa Copex Rapid.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old July 25th 04, 05:51 PM
Frank Pittel

Donald Qualls wrote:
: Frank Pittel wrote:

[...]

Fortunatly I didn't spend a whole lot of money on the developer. Even then it only cost
~$10. What effect does the very high dilution have on grain size??

-------------------

Old July 25th 04, 06:14 PM
jjs

"Frank Pittel" wrote in message

Fortunatly I didn't spend a whole lot of money on the developer. Even then

it only cost
~$10. What effect does the very high dilution have on grain size??

Speaking of Rodinal, I've found that high dilutions tend to give finer grain
when used at 1:100 and 1:200 in modified stand-development. However, you are
embarking on a whole new area if you use your rotary processor. I'm lost in
that dimension; never tried it.

Anyone here ever tried FG7 in high dilutions - for example, 1:30, 1:90? I
was gifted with two fresh gallons of the stuff, along with a bottle of
Edwal's sodium sulphite.

Old July 25th 04, 08:16 PM
Frank Pittel

jjs wrote:
: "Frank Pittel" wrote in message
: ...

: Fortunatly I didn't spend a whole lot of money on the developer. Even then
: it only cost
: ~$10. What effect does the very high dilution have on grain size??

: Speaking of Rodinal, I've found that high dilutions tend to give finer grain
: when used at 1:100 and 1:200 in modified stand-development. However, you are
: embarking on a whole new area if you use your rotary processor. I'm lost in
: that dimension; never tried it.

If I were to use high dilutions of Rodinal it would require tray processing. Every now
and then I consider tray processing film. The my senses come back to me and I load the
film in my Jobo. :-)

One of these days I will give tray processing a try. Has anyone tried using two trays
with developer to develop film. The idea is that you put the film in one tray and when
it's time to agitate you simply remove the film one sheet at a time and put it in the
other tray. No sliding of film means no scratching.

Old July 25th 04, 09:25 PM
Nick Zentena

Frank Pittel wrote:

If I were to use high dilutions of Rodinal it would require tray processing. Every now
and then I consider tray processing film. The my senses come back to me and I load the
film in my Jobo. :-)

Large volumes of developer is one reason I've avoided buying a Jobo
machine. Luckily the tanks work just fine on a motorbase.

Nick

Old July 25th 04, 10:09 PM
Frank Pittel

Nick Zentena wrote:
: Frank Pittel wrote:

:
: If I were to use high dilutions of Rodinal it would require tray processing. Every now
: and then I consider tray processing film. The my senses come back to me and I load the
: film in my Jobo. :-)

: Large volumes of developer is one reason I've avoided buying a Jobo
: machine. Luckily the tanks work just fine on a motorbase.

??

I'm not sure what you mean by the large volumes of developers needed when using a Jobo
processor. While the full capacity of the tanks is large only half of the volume of the
tank is used when putting it on the processor. Remember when processing the tank is
horizontal and the continuous rotation of the tank assures that film is in the
chemistry and properly developed.

As an example the 1520 tank I use when processing roll film has a capacity of two rolls
of film and 240ml of chemistry (~8US ounces).